Connect with us

Uncategorized

Charly Boy talks about the secret of his marriage of 40 years

Published

on

Entertainer and activist, Charles Oputa, popularly called Charly Boy, made the news recently when he announced that he was going to divorce his wife and marry her the next day. The Area Fada actually acted true to his words as a marriage ceremony was held in honour of him and his wife of 40 years, Lady Diane.

Speaking to Saturday Beats about the secret of his marriage of 40 years, Charly Boy noted that his ability to build a healthy friendship with his wife had kept his home together.

“Marriage is a game of management and perseverance that young people find difficult to conform to. Life comes with its own problems; one can never know what is around the corner. Even though a couple is compatible, there will still be some issues they don’t agree on.

Friendship is what has kept my marriage peaceful.

“When someone is your friend; it will be easy to open up to such a person. To attain that kind of friendship, there has to be mutual respect between the two people. Addressing issues with openness makes life easy, every problem has a solution. I don’t think some young people are willing to make all these sacrifices. They are always in hurry, they don’t think about the future.

Oputa, who has been in three failed marriages, said he married the women he was involved with in those marriages for the wrong reasons.

“I won’t add the conditions of my past marriages to my experience because my case is a little different. I have always seen my father and mother together in love even though they quarrelled and argued overtime. This made a big impression on me, I admired them. I loved those kinds of things.

“I was not ready for marriage when my first marriage took place. My mother forced me to get married. I was busy impregnating people instead of reading my books, so my mother made sure I got married to curb my excesses as a teenager.

“I was 19, and my mother brought her to me. The second one was when I was in my 20s, I wasn’t even ready as well, it was just to get myself settled in the US, but I later realised that the US wasn’t a place I could settle in. The marriage lasted for about three years, and I cut my stay in the US short because I experienced racism. I was almost killed because of the colour of my skin. Those things made me hate America; my uncles never believed I would return to Nigeria. After the second marriage failed, I married the third woman in America for the wrong reason,” he told Saturday Beats.

The entertainer said that he never knew he would be married to his current wife and he told Saturday Beats the details of his love story.

“This is my fourth marriage; I wasn’t even expecting to marry my wife. She came one day after we had been dating for a while and told me that if I didn’t marry her, she would leave me. I thought it was going to end like the others. We got married shortly after that with only one witness present at the registry.

“That was all that we did; there was no party at all and we are still together after 40 years. My parents didn’t even want me to marry someone who didn’t come from Nigeria. I was just against too many battles. I decided that my marriage must work. We have learnt how to manage ourselves through any kind of stormy weather. Marriage is not easy; I can’t say I am living in paradise because I would be lying.

“The essence of a true marriage is not about a flamboyant wedding. My father taught me the art of a simple life, I am happier that way. I used a tricycle to renew my vows because I am a simple person. Expensive things don’t define me, money doesn’t move me, and I don’t show off. I was implying that I wanted to renew my vows on December 15; some people didn’t get the joke. I was not trying to say I would actually divorce my wife and remarry someone else, I simply meant I wanted to renew my vows,” he added.

Uncategorized

Kwara Governor, Abdulrazaq Declares 24-hour Curfew

Published

on

Kwara Governor, Abdulrazaq Declares 24-hour Curfew

Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq

Following the outbreak of violence in some quarters of the State, Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq of Kwara State has declared a 24-hour Curfew on the state starting on Saturday.

Governor Abdulrazaq made this known in a statewide broadcast on Friday night.

Recall that on Friday some residents of Ilorin, the Kwara State capital stormed the warehouses where the government stored COVID-19 palliatives expected to be distributed to citizens.

Also Read: BREAKING: Lagos Government Relaxes Curfew

The warehouses, located at the cargo warehouse of the International airport in Ilorin as well as the agro-mall located in the Sango area of the state were totally ransacked as residents struggled to pack as much food items as they could.

Abdulrazaq said, “Lives are being threatened. Businesses are being looted. Public properties have been targeted. This is unacceptable. It is not who we are.

“To curb these acts of criminalities, I hereby declare a 24-hour curfew in Ilorin metropolis from midnight today October 23rd, 2020. This is in line with Sections 1, 2, and 4 of the Public Order Act Chapter 382 Laws of Federation of Nigeria 2004.

“People are urged to stay indoors in compliance with this curfew. This will be reviewed as we watch developments.

“Our observation is that what has happened today is not a protest, it cannot be defended under any guide, it was a pure act of criminality as some people are hiding under the guise of nationwide protest.”

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Lagos Policemen Brutalise PUNCH Journalists For Covering #EndSARS Protest

Published

on

Two PUNCH journalists, Femi Dawodu and Segun Odunayo, were on Wednesday brutalised by policemen guarding the Lagos State House of Assembly in Ikeja.

The duo had gone to cover events around the Alausa area, a major demonstration ground of the #EndSARS protesters calling for a total overhaul of the Nigeria Police Force.

According to the PUNCH, both Odunayo and Dawodu were recording a live video of activities in the area when the policemen accosted them and ordered them to stop the recording.

After showing the policemen their identity cards, indicating that they are journalists covering #EndSARS protests and monitoring compliance with the government-imposed curfew, the policemen became annoyed and pounced on them.

Odunayo said the policemen tortured them for four hours, adding that they stripped them of their clothes, laid them on the floor, beat them with a stick and guns, and took a video recording of them while torturing them at the Lagos State House of Assembly.

Odunayo said, “Femi and I were at the Secretariat in Alausa around 7 am and were doing a live video of the activities going on in the area. We were heading back to the expressway when a group of armed policemen accosted us at the Lagos State House of Assembly roundabout and immediately collected our phones. We showed them our ID cards, but they refused to let us go.

“What got the policemen annoyed was that we saw them using a stick and a rubber to beat a young man, and during the live video, they heard me saying that they were beating someone. So, after they arrested us, they tortured us and demanded that we should do another live video denying the statement, but we refused.

“Each Time we refused, they slapped us, used a stick to beat us, used the butt of their guns to hit our heads and bodies after stripping us of our clothes. All they wanted was for us to do another live broadcast to claim that we lied and we didn’t because we told the truth.”

Dawodu said it took the intervention of the state Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi before they were released at the Alausa Police Station, adding that before their release, the policemen took their details, including their addresses, took a video record of them and threatened to go after them if any negative report was published about what happened.

He said, “The policemen were transferring the aggression of what is happening regarding the #EndSARS protest on us. They later took us to the Divisional Police Station in Alausa, and if not for the DPO, the policemen guarding the LSHA that arrested us would have done more grievous things to us.

“The PPRO and the DPO later spoke with them, and we were released.

“But despite his intervention, we were told to write statements. They collected our details, address, took video recordings of us making false statements during the torture, and threatened to use it to blackmail and go after us if we end up doing any bad report against them.”

Sahara Reporters

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

CCTV At Lekki Toll Gate Was Not Removed -Lekki Concession Company Says

Published

on

Lekki Concession Company in their press release has debunked the rumour that the Lekki Toll Gate CCTV camera was not removed.

Lekki, Ikoyi tolls will rise on February 1 – LCC - Ivory NG

According to the press release by the company which condemns the unlawful killings of the peaceful protesters said no one gave the order for the removal of the Closed Circuit Television System as the CCTV is still intact as of the time of this report.

Speaking further, the concession company revealed that if the CCTV was to be removed, it would require the use of machinery to reach the heights that they have been installed.

Read the release report below;

Image

Continue Reading

Trending