Connect with us

General News

Ikoyi whistleblower jets out of Nigeria less than 24 hours after receiving N421m reward from FG

Published

on

The whistle-blower, who helped the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission recover the $43m, N23.2m and £27,800 (N13bn) from an Ikoyi apartment on April 12, 2017, has finally been paid his commission, The PUNCH has learnt.

It was also learnt that the whistle-blower travelled out of the country less than 24 hours after receiving part of the N421m reward.

The whistle-blower’s lawyer, Mr. Yakubu Galadima, confirmed the development to our correspondent on the telephone on Wednesday.

He praised the government for finally honouring its agreement after eight months.

Galadima also joked that his client did not run mad after receiving the money as predicted by some government officials.

He, however, said his client had not been paid in full, adding that the Federal Government had promised to pay him the balance next year.

The lawyer said, “My client confirmed to me that he had received a credit alert from the Federal Government. He travelled out of the country this morning (Wednesday morning).

“He has been paid the first instalment but there were many tax deductions. Yes, we are happy. I will give you more details later but I can confirm now that he has received some money.

“As you can see, my client did not run mad as predicted by Prof. Itse Sagay.”

Galadima said the Federal Government’s decision to pay his client was an evidence that his client was the real whistle-blower out of the others that had been laying claim to the money.

At least three persons have laid claim to the commission including one Abdulmumumuni Musa, who has sued the Minister of Finance and the Attorney General of the Federation.

The National Intelligence Agency had laid claim to the recovered money which has been forfeited permanently to the Federal Government.

The money, which was recovered from Flat 7B, Osborne Towers, Ikoyi, led to the suspension and eventual sacking of the Director General of the NIA, Ambassador Ayo Oke.

The N13bn recovered from the Osborne Towers was said to have been part of the $289,202,382 the NIA received from the Central Bank of Nigeria in February 2015.

The transaction was purportedly approved by former President Goodluck Jonathan through the embattled former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.).

On paper, the transaction was known as an intervention fund for national security or special services with the aim of fighting insurgency during the six weeks period between February 14 and March 28 after the election was postponed.

However, the operatives of the EFCC believe that the money was meant to finance the 2015 general elections.

No one has, however, been prosecuted till date.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

BREAKING: Public, Private Schools Can Reopen Monday – Lagos Govt

Published

on

BREAKING: Public, Private Schools Can Reopen Monday - Lagos Govt

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

The Lagos State Government on Thursday directed all public and private schools in the state to reopen all classes for academic activities.

Recall that schools were closed following the outbreak of violence that trailed the #EndSARS protests in the State.

The government directed students and pupils in boarding houses to report to school on Sunday, 1st of November in preparation for the general resumption by Monday, 2nd November, 2020.

Also Read: BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu Approves Full Reopening Of Lagos Markets

The directive was contained in a statement by the Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Folasade Adefisayo which was signed by Kayode Abayomi, Head, Public Affairs, Ministry of Education.

The Commissioner advised pupils/students to take their studies more seriously in a bid to recover the lost period and thereby excel.

Continue Reading

Education

FG, ASUU Disagree On Payment Platform

Published

on

Again, FG, ASUU Unable To Agree On Payment Platform
Again, FG, ASUU Unable To Agree On Payment Platform

ASUU

The meeting between the Federal Government and the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) ended in a deadlock on Wednesday.

The union and Minister of Labour, Chris Ngige led delegation failed to agree on the payment platform to be used in disbursing the salary arrears and the N30bn Earned Allowance of the university lecturers.

According to reports, the Federal Government offered to pay the salary arrears and the N30bn Earned Allowances of the university lecturers through the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS) platform pending the roll-out of ASUU’s preferred platform, the University Transparency and Accountability Solution (UTAS).

Also Read: Why We Haven’t Called Off Strike –ASUU

However, the ASUU delegation led by National President, Prof Biodun Ogunyemi, insisted that the payment by the Federal Government should be made through the UTAS.

Following the failure to reach a consensus, the parties agreed to consult their respective principals and stakeholders.

They are to reconvene next week Wednesday.

Continue Reading

Education

WAEC To Release 2020 SSSCE Results Next Week

Published

on

WAEC To Release 2020 SSSCE Results Next Week
WAEC To Release 2020 SSSCE Results Next Week

WAEC

The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has given an update on releasing the West African Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) result.

The Council early on Wednesday morning announced that the result would be released next week.

Also Read: WAEC Releases 2020 WASSCE Timetable

The results were supposed to be out today but the examination body said the postponement was due to the violence and arson in the country which affected some of its offices and some of its operations nationwide.

The examination body stated that the exact date for the result will be announced soon.

See the post below:

 

Continue Reading

Trending