APM Terminals is one of the largest container terminal operators in the world. The diverse portfolio includes substantial interests in more than 40 ports around the globe. We continue to actively develop and invest in new projects and opportunities in ports and terminal management. In terms of the future, we are determined to stay at the forefront of our industry by providing value-adding e-business solutions, customer relations management and innovative use of technologies.
APM Terminals commenced operations in Nigeria in March, 2006. Apapa is Nigeria’s largest port and contains a number of wharfs. To date, the staff comprises over 900 highly skilled and motivated foreign and local staff. We stand for operational excellence – from modern equipment, facilities, advanced technology and proven processes and terminal management. We are currently looking for an individual who share our commitment to providing services that are second-to-none.
Under direction of the GM/Head, Human Resources, this position will be strategically responsible to direct and manage the Performance Management function in Apapa, through application of world-class human resources best practise, via Compensation/Benefits, Recruitment, and Administration, with the aim to improve performance and talent management. This position reports to General Manager/Head of Human Resources.
- Documenting a performance plan that includes measures, desired results, and standards.
- Conducting ongoing measurements and observations to track employee performance exchanging ongoing feedback on performance to them.
- Manage annual performance appraisal or performance review and reward exercise, for employee performance levels.
- Developing or updating performance development or improvement plan to handle the performance gap, if an employee does not meet the required performance level.
- Ensures the revision of targets, policies, plans, improvement and transformation policies via tools such as the Employee Engagement Survey Tool, 180/360 degree feedback, career compass etc.
- Researches human resources issues, seeks out comparative data, utilizing survey instruments or other applicable vehicles for such research and analysis.
- Analyses performance statistics and trends in order to identify areas for improvement.
- Assists the GM/Head of HR to chair the Policy Meetings, providing guidance and practical applications experience to the discussions on policy.
- Assists the GM/Head of Human Resources to direct the administration of the compensation system and methodology, job evaluation and grading ensuring consistent practices.
- Approves general administrative documents, status changes (job title, salary grade and pay) and other related matters.
- Provides a key liaison with the community, as it may relate to the company overall or to some aspect of the human resources function.
- Assists the GM/Head of Human Resources in other roles designated by the latter
- User of SAP-HR system.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Requires university degree in human resources, business administration, behavioural science, management or related disciplines. A Masters degree/post graduate qualification/CIPMN qualification in HR is preferable.
- Requires 5 years minimum experience in general human resources or related work of which at least 3 years should have been in a managerial position, preferably in the private sector.
- Must be familiar with labour and employment law and practices.
- Must have sound knowledge in various international human resources standards in the areas of compensation, employee relations, general benefits, employment and staffing practices, and organizational development.
- Must have demonstrated leadership and management skills.
- Must be able to work effectively with all levels of employees, including top, middle and supervisory levels of management.
- Requires strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Requires a collaborative work style, fostering cooperation and teamwork.
- Must be able to exercise discretion and good judgment, with an ability to understand the effect of decisions overall in the company.
- Must be able to handle confidential company and employee information with complete discretion.
- Must have strong analytical skills, including the ability to extract, compile and analyse data.
- Requires advanced verbal and written communications skills in English, in addition to effective interpersonal skills. Knowledge of local language will be a definite advantage.
- A truly international working environment in a modern working location
- Value and team-based leadership
- An open and engaging working environment
- A wide range of international career opportunities
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth in a dynamic environment
- Competitive compensation packages
This position is a local position, based in Lagos, Nigeria and will remain posted until 14th November 2012.