Connect with us

World news

Coronavirus: South Africa Places Travel Ban On US, UK, China, Italy, Others

Published

on

Cyril Ramaphosa

The South African government has imposed a travel ban on foreign nationals from high-risk countries where the novel coronavirus has spread widely.

South African president, Cyril Ramaphosa who made this known in an address on Sunday, said the ban will take effect from March 18.

According to South Africa president, “high risk” countries such as US, UK, Italy, Iran, South Korea, Spain, Germany and China are affected.

Read Also: Patient Quarantined In Enugu Tests Negative For Coronavirus

Visas  earlier issued to nationals of the “high risk” areas were also cancelled by the South African government.

“We are imposing a travel ban on foreign nationals from high-risk countries such as Italy, Iran, South Korea, Spain, Germany, the United States, the United Kingdom and China as from 18 March 2020,” he said.

“Visa issuing to visitors from these countries is cancelled from today and previously granted visas are hereby revoked.

“Effective immediately, South African citizens are advised to refrain from all forms of travel to or through the European Union, United States, United Kingdom and other identified high-risk countries such as China, Iran and South Korea.

“Government will continue to regularly issue travel alerts referring to specific cities, countries or regions as the situation evolves based on the risk level.

“Any person who has visited high-risk countries in the past 20 days will be denied a visa. South African citizens returning from high-risk countries will be subjected to testing and self-isolation or quarantine on return to South Africa.”

Ramaphosa said travellers from medium-risk countries such as Portugal, Hong Kong and Singapore will be required to undergo “high intensity” screening.

He said all travellers who have entered South Africa from high-risk countries since mid-February will be required to present themselves for testing.

The president said starting from Monday, 35 out of the 53 land ports will be shut down, and two of the eight sea ports will be closed for passengers and crew changes.

“Effective immediately, all non-essential travel for all spheres of government outside of the Republic is prohibited. We further discourage all non-essential domestic travel, particularly by air, rail, taxis and bus,” he said.

Schools will be closed from Wednesday and will remain closed until after the Easter weekend, he said.

 

World news

JUST IN: ECOWAS Lifts Sanctions On Mali

Published

on

ECOWAS countries
ECOWAS Countries

ECOWAS Countries

(more…)

Continue Reading

World news

US President, Donald Trump, Wife Test Positive For Covid-19

Published

on

Donald Trump and Melania
Donald Trump and Melania

Donald Trump and wife, Melania Trump

President of the United States, Donald Trump, and his wife, Melania Trump have both tested positive for COVID-19.

The President took to his official Twitter handle on Friday to make this announcement.

Trump was last seen in public on Thursday afternoon, returning to the White House after a fundraising trip to New Jersey.

Also Read: What I Told Trump When He Accused Me Of Killing Christians – Buhari

On Thursday, he announced that his aide, Hope Hicks tested positive for the virus which has killed over 1 million people around the world.

He further revealed that he and the first lady had taken the test and waiting for the results before announcing the outcome on Friday.

 

Continue Reading

World news

Mali: N’Daw, Coup Leader Goita Sworn In As President, VP

Published

on

President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita
President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita

President of Mali, N’Daw, coup leader, Goita

Retired Army Colonel, Bah N’Daw has been sworn in on Friday as the interim president of Mali and he is to head a transitional government following last month’s military coup in the country.

The swearing-in ceremony held in the country’s capital city of Bamako, where Colonel Assimi Goita, who led the military junta, was also sworn in as interim vice president.

This administration is to lead the government for a maximum of 18 months before organising national elections.

Also Read: Buhari Attends Virtual ECOWAS Extraordinary Summit Over Mali Crisis

It will be recalled that the country’s military executed a coup last month (August 18) which successfully removed the nation’s president, Ibrahim Boubacar Keita from office.

Former President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, attended the ceremony alongside other members of the ECOWAS mediation team.

Continue Reading

Trending