The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has explained why it could not open fire as Boko Haram attacked people in Garkida, a town in Gombi local government area of Adamawa state.
The air force had been accused by members of the community of hovering and doing nothing as insurgents attacked people in the town last week.
Ibikunle Daramola, spokesman of the force, while reacting to the accusation said they didn’t want to kill innocent people.
He said the force cannot responded quickly to the calls for air support by dispatching its aircraft to the location.
“Close air support, by definition, requires detailed coordination between the aircraft and the forces or individuals being supported,” he said.
“Hence, there must be communication between the aircraft, which is thousands of feet in the air, and the ground elements so as to avoid collateral damage or attacking one’s own troops (fratricide). As you may have come to know, the situation on the ground in Garkida on 21 February 2020 was extremely chaotic with significant movement in the general area that were indistinguishable from the air.
“The situation was worsened by the fact that the attack mostly took place at night. In such situations, the rules of engagement, as internationally known, is not to attack unless it is clear that no civilians are in harm’s way. The essence is to avoid the inadvertent killing of the people that the aircraft were dispatched to protect. It must be noted that the NAF ISR and attack aircraft remained airborne to provide support while seeking to de-conflict targets before engaging them; this was done outside the vicinity of the town in order to avoid killing any innocent civilians.
“Furthermore, as a follow-up, the Air Task Force of Operation LAFIYA DOLE, on 22/23 February 2020, carried out air strikes against terrorists’ hideouts at Parisu in the Sambisa general area of Borno State, where the Boko Haram elements that attacked Garkida were said to have originated. The battle damage assessment video of the attacks will be released, once declassified.”
Police Ban All Forms Of Protest, Gatherings In Lagos
The Nigerian police command in Lagos State has banned all forms of protest or gathering in the state.
“Lagos State Police Command wishes to inform the general public that henceforth, no protest or gathering or possession, under whatever guise, is permitted”, the command spokesman Muyiwa Adejobi said in a statement on Tuesday.
This is coming after the Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu announced a 24 hours curfew citing security issues.
Sanwo-Olu said the “peaceful #EndSARS protest”, which began over 10 days ago has “degenerated into a monster that is threatening the well-being of our society.”
“I, therefore, hereby impose a 24-hour curfew on all parts of the State as from 4 pm today, 20th October 2020. Nobody, except essential service providers and first responders, must be found on the streets,” Sanwo-Olu said.
Adejobi also shared the same sentiment. He said the protest against police brutality “has been hijacked by hoodlums who want to run down the state.”
He said all security agencies have deployed adequate personnel to take charge and enforce the curfew across the state.
Sanwo-Olu Imposes 24-Hour Curfew In Lagos
With the increasing cases of violence in the State, Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has imposed a 24-hour curfew on the State.
In the last few days, Lagos State has recorded an increasing number of violent activities in different parts of the state as hoodlums hijacked the #EndSARS protest.
Reacting to this development, the Governor who had earlier ordered the closure of all schools in the state imposed a 24-hour curfew which is scheduled to take effect by 4 pm today.
See his post below:
… of these protests to unleash mayhem on our state. As a government that is alive to its responsibility and has shown a commitment to the movement #ENDSARS, we will not watch and allow anarchy in our dear state.
— Babajide Sanwo-Olu (@jidesanwoolu) October 20, 2020
I, therefore, hereby impose a 24-hour curfew on all parts of the State as from 4pm today, 20th October,2020. Nobody, except essential service providers and first responders must be found on the streets.
— Babajide Sanwo-Olu (@jidesanwoolu) October 20, 2020
Akwa Ibom Governor Constitutes Judicial Panel To Probe Police Brutality
Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Emmanuel Udom has set up a judicial panel of inquiry to probe cases of police brutality in the state.
This was announced in a statement signed by the secretary to the State Government, Dr. Emmanuel Ekuwem.
He stated that the decision was part of resolutions reached at an emergency of the State Executive Council meeting on Monday.
This is coming following days of #EndSARS protests across the country.
Members of the panel include; Justice Ifiok Ukana (Rtd) Chairman, Ms. Manti Umoh Representative of Civil Society Organizations, Mr. Harris Udoh, (a representative of the protesters, Barr. Bassey Essien CP(Rtd), Senior Retired Police Officer, Barr. Omen Bassey, youth representative, Comrade Aniedi Michael, National Association of Akwa Ibom State Students Worldwide President – Student Leader Tony Iji – National Human Rights Commission, and Mfon Edemekong Esq. Ministry of Justice ~ secretary.
- Entertainment24 hours ago
“Those Inmates In Benin Were Illegally Released By Authorities” – BBNaija’s Tacha Claims
- News Feed20 hours ago
#EndSARS protesters break into Lagos International Airport (Videos)
- Entertainment2 hours ago
Regina Daniels Birthday: EVERYTHING You Need To Know
- National News20 hours ago
Nigerian Youth Have Right To Protest, Says President Buhari
- Entertainment23 hours ago
#EndSARS: ‘We Want To Change Established Systems’ – Singer Bez
- News Feed24 hours ago
Genevieve Nnaji Reacts To Arrest Of #EndSARS Protesters In Kano
- Entertainment22 hours ago
#EndSARS: ‘The Government Does Not Want To Do The Right Things’ – BBNaija’s Leo Da Silva
- Entertainment4 hours ago
‘My Landlady Chased Me Away And Started My Kind Of Business’ – Nkechi Blessing