Connect with us

National News

My People Are Being Killed Daily By Bandits, Lawmaker Cries Out

Published

on

Bandits
Bandits

Gunmen

Senator Mohammed Sani Musa of the All Progressives Congress, APC representing Niger East has yet again lamented at how  his people are being killed everyday by armed bandits without responses from appropriate authorities.

He said even though several calls and appeals were made to concerned authorities for action on the situation, not much has been done.

The lawmaker revealed that he had to cut short his trip after he received news of the fresh attacks by the bandits.

Senator Musa in a statement personally signed by him said, “For several months now, my people (the people of Niger East) have not had a moment of solitude.

“Bandits have taken away sleep from their eyes, be it in the day time or at night. Many lives have been cut short, women have been raped, some even before their spouse, children have been turned to orphans and many have been abducted with huge ransoms being demanded. Cattle are being rustled, farm produce and other valuables are stolen. This is besides thousands of persons who have been rendered homeless.

Read Also: How I Trekked For Two Hours Inside The Bush: Emir Recounts Ordeal With bandits

“The havoc rendered by bandits to my people in the past few months is immeasurable and the pains indescribable.

“It is truly a sad situation that has continued to pull tears to my eyes seeing my people being put through such a torturous and inhumane treatment in the hand of a godless people supposed to give all concerned cause to worry.

“For this unwarranted situation I had to cut short my trip and return this morning after I received the report of fresh attacks on five communities in Shiroro local government area, which include Zongoro, Kwaki, Magami, Masuku and Maguga as well as other communities in Munya local government area. The village Head of Masuku was killed and his son abducted in the attacks which has lasted since 14th of January. I have also gathered that not less than 30 people have so far been abducted by the bandits.”

“I therefore wish to appeal to Mr President the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, His Excellency President Muhammadu Buhari to come to the aid of my people. This is not the first time I am making this kind of passionate appeal but not much has been done to address the situation. I pray that his Excellency would hear my appeal this time and use his powers in this regard.

“I have no doubt that the Federal Government has the capacity to tackle the problem once and for all, considering the efforts of Mr President at tackling the insurgency in the north east since his assumption in office.

“I also wish to call on the Governor of Niger State, Dr Abubakar Bello not to relent in quest towards handling this unforgettable situation. I urge him not to relent but to continue to deploy all necessary machinery to arrest the menace once and for all.

 

National News

Lekki Shooting: No One Can Explain Buhari’s Silence, Says Kukah

Published

on

Bishop Kukah
Lekki Shooting: No One Can Explain Buhari’s Silence, Says Kukah

Bishop Kukah

Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Sokoto, Matthew Kukah has expressed surprise over President Muhammadu Buhari’s “continued silence” on the shooting of #EndSARS protesters in Lekki, Lagos state.

Speaking during a Channels TV programme on Wednesday, the cleric said it is the responsibility of the president to communicate his feelings to citizens and set the country on a particular path.

He expressed that the situation will not end until President Buhari wakes up to the fact that there is a major crisis in the country.

Also Read: Deploying Soldiers Not The Answer, Buhari Should Address Nigerians – Afe Babalola

He expressed that the decision of the President to remain silent nor show concern is a culture of I-don’t-care.

According to Bishop Kukah: “Unfortunately for us, we have a President that seems almost unwilling to respond to the kind of reflexes that shows evidence that he is listening to wise counsel.

“I really cannot understand this. I feel totally helpless in the sense that I cannot find any reason and I don’t think any Nigerian in the right frame of mind can find a reason to why the president has remained so silent on this crisis,” he said.

Kukah said the apology rendered by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo was to compensate for the president’s silence.

 

Continue Reading

National News

Lekki Toll Gate Shooting: Osinbajo Breaks Silence

Published

on

#EndSARS: Obaseki Gives Escaped Inmates 48hours To Return
Lekki Toll Gate Shooting: Vice President, Osinbajo Breaks Silence

Yemi Osinbajo

Vice President of Nigeria, Professor Yemi Osinbajo has finally broken his silence over the shooting of #EndSARS protesters by soldiers at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos by soldiers on Tuesday night.

The Vice President condemned the killing of protesters at Lekki tollgate on Tuesday.

Osinbajo, in a tweet on Wednesday night, also mourned policemen who were killed during the protest.

Also Read: Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Explodes Over #LekkiMassacre Of #EndSARS Protesters

He promised that all victims will get justice and prayed against more tragedies.

He tweeted, “My heart goes out to all the victims of the Lekki shootings, and also the policemen and all other men and women who lost their lives in the past few days in different parts of Lagos and other states.

“I spoke to some of those in the hospital. The pain of these terrible events is palpable in our towns and cities, and some losses are irreplaceable, but we can and will get justice for all of them. I stand with Lagos and all other affected states in these trying times.

“We pray we will never see a repeat of these tragedies in Jesus name. God bless you all. “

 

Continue Reading

National News

#EndSARS: Obaseki Gives Escaped Inmates 48hours To Return

Published

on

#EndSARS: Obaseki Gives Escaped Inmates 48hours To Return
#EndSARS: Obaseki Gives Escaped Inmates 48hours To Return

Godwin Obaseki

Governor of Edo State, Godwin Obaseki, has given escapees from the Benin Medium Security Correctional Centre and Oko Medium Security Correctional Centre on Friday to return voluntarily or face the wrath of the law.

This warning is coming following Monday’s jailbreaks in the two centres by hoodlums.

According to the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) 1,993 inmates escaped from their facilities.

Mr Obaseki went on an assessment tour of the affected NCoS centres and the police stations that were burnt in Benin City by the hoodlums.

Also Read: Lagos Policemen Brutalise PUNCH Journalists For Covering #EndSARS Protest

Speaking during the inspection, Obaseki expressed that the escapees should return or face the wrath of the law.

“We know some of the inmates have been released, but we appeal to all inmates who have escaped to come back on their own before the close of business on Friday.

“They should report themselves back as nothing will be done to them but failure to do that, we will come after them as we have their records.”

Continue Reading

Trending