Connect with us

National News

Army Reacts To Accusation By Borno Governor That Soldiers Extort Commuters Rather Than Fight Boko Haram

Published

on

Days of kidnappers are over in Ondo and Ekiti - Army
Babagana Zulum

Babagana Zulum

The Nigerian army has reacted to the accusations by Babagana Zulum, governor of Borno state, that soldiers extort commuters on Damaturu-Maiduguri road while Boko Haram is on rampage in the state.

According to the army, such accusations could have a negative impact on the success recorded by the troops fighting Boko Haram insurgency in the north-east.

Aminu Iliyasu, army operations media coordinator, in a statement said the army would investigate the govenror’s allegations, but blamed the governor over the outburst.

He said, “In the said publication, His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Borno State, Prof Babagana Umara Zulum was alleged to have accused soldiers of Operation LAFIYA DOLE deployed along Maiduguri – Damaturu Road of extorting commuters and causing them unnecessary hardship. ”

Read Also: IPOB Doctored Video Of Boko Haram Fighters Killing Soldiers: Army

“The Nigerian Army as a professional and disciplined institution views such allegations seriously, particularly coming from a State Executive. It is on record that, whenever such allegations of troops’ misconduct were made in the past, the Nigerian Army never reneged in conducting thorough investigations to establish them and where any infractions were established against any personnel, appropriate sanctions were applied in line with extant rules and regulations as provided for in the Armed Forces Act CAP A20 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria.

“Thus, the Nigerian Army wishes to assure the good people of Borno State and indeed the nation at large that any allegations of misconduct by Nigerian  Army troops will be duly investigated and culprits will be dealt with accordingly.

“However, it is important to unequivocally observe that public outburst particularly by eminent personalities such as a State Executive could be counterproductive and indeed capable of reversing the gains recorded so far in the ongoing fight against insurgents and other criminal elements across the nation.”

However, Isa Gusau, the governor’s spokesperson, in a statement issued after the governor visited the army headquarters, said: “Yesterday’s encounter does not and will not change the very high regard the Governor has for all the security personnel operating in Borno, particularly soldiers who give up their lives and safety in finding peace for Borno.”

National News

Fani-Kayode Condemns Video Asking Igbo Indigenes To Leave Yorubaland

Published

on

‘You Are A Dictator, Sociopathic Disgrace’ – Fani-Kayode Attacks Buhari
Fani-Kayode Condemns Video Asking Igbo Indigenes To Leave Yorubaland

Femi Fani–Kayode

Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode has condemned the threat of violence on Igbo indigenes in Yorubaland.

In a video circulating on social media, Grandson Adeyinka, a UK-based Nigerian, called on Igbo indigenes to leave south-west states.

Also Read: Nobel Laureate, Soyinka Denies Video Claim On Igbo, Yoruba

In the video, Adeyinka issued a 48-hour ultimatum to the Igbo, warning that those who refuse to leave will be dealt with.

Reacting to the video, the former Minister distanced the Yoruba people from the statement, urging the Igbo people in Lagos to stand firm and stand their ground.

He wrote:

Continue Reading

National News

El-Rufai Imposes 24-hour Curfew On Seven Communities In Kaduna

Published

on

Governor El-rufai
El Rufai Imposes 24-hour Curfew On Seven Communities In Kaduna Metropolis

Governor El-rufai

Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai has declared a 24-hour curfew in some communities in Kaduna South and Chikun Local Government Areas (LGAs) of the state.

The Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan announced this is a statement on Saturday.

Although the reason for the restriction was not stated, it follows the looting of warehouses – where COVID-19 palliatives were reportedly stored by the government – by residents.

Also Read: Lekki Shooting Casualties ‘Have Questions To Answer’ — Tinubu

Residents were said to have trooped to Gwari Avenue where they discovered a warehouse and immediately forced it open and carted away food items.

Reacting to the development, the government directed security agencies involved to arrest and prosecute anyone found violating the curfew, and those responsible for the breakdown of law and order as well as looting and destroying properties.

The affected communities include Barnawa, Kakuri, and Television in Kaduna South LGA, and Maraban Rido, Sabon Tasha, Narayi, and Ungwan Romi of Chikun LGA.

Continue Reading

National News

#ENDSARS: IGP Talks Tough, Says Enough Is Enough

Published

on

#ENDSARS: Police IG Talks Tough, Says Enough Is Enough
#ENDSARS: Police IG Talks Tough, Says Enough Is Enough

IGP Mohammed Adamu

The Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Mohammed Adamu has ordered the immediate deployment of operational assets and resources to bring an end to the nationwide unrest.

Following the shooting of #EndSARS protesters by soldiers at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday, there has been serious unrest in the country which has led to the destruction and looting of properties.

The IGP gave the order in a statement issued by Police spokesman, DCP Frank Mba on Saturday

Also Read: Air Force Intervenes, Slams Policemen For Shooting At A Crowd (Video)

The Police Chief asked all Assistant Inspectors-General of Police (AIGs), Commissioners of Police (CPs), Heads of Police Operational Units, Squadron and Base Commanders in charge of Zonal/State/FCT Commands, the Police Mobile Force, Counter Terrorism Unit, and the Special Protection Unit, to immediately restore order.

He ordered the police head to personally lead and coordinate the operation and use all legitimate means, to halt a further slide into lawlessness and brigandage.

Continue Reading

Trending