The ruling All Progressive Congress(APC) has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to go on the offensive against South African companies in Nigeria following the xenophobic attack on Nigerians living in South Africa.
Speaking through its National Chairman, Adams Oshiomole, the Party charged Buhari to go ahead and acquire all MTN’s share in the company and nationalize the company.
The Party also advised that the president should go-ahead to acquire other South African companies such as DSTV, Standard Chartered Bank, Stanbic IBTC, South African Airways and so on.
“South African companies are making billions of dollars from the Nigerian economy year in year out and repatriate the same out of Nigeria. MTN was recently in the stock market and some Nigerians bought shares in MTN but in a moment like this and in order to send a very strong message to South African authorities and the South African people, we call on the Nigerian government to take steps to take over the remaining shares of MTN that are owned by South Africa so that MTN becomes fully Nigeria owned.
“We should reflect why we should continue to allow DSTV to repatriate millions of dollars to South Africa arising from their activities in Nigeria. We have reviewed all of those things that give South Africans monopoly such that they make money with very little value addition. “To show that we mean business and in practical steps, South African Airways, their landing right in Nigeria should be revoked until these issues are sorted out.
“Many Nigerians believe that Shoprite is owned by South Africans; they are repatriating money purely from the franchise, both the capital with which these shopping malls are built are Nigeria’s, the shop owners are Nigerians. This imposes an obligation on the government to review any agreement that gives South Africans the right to begin to develop a monopoly in our commercial lives. “We also know that Standard Chartered Bank and Stanbic Bank, are all South African Banks, Nigerians may have more shares there if any. It is time to ask them to wind up so that Nigerian Banks will take advantage of their departure and expand their operations. We have enough to save by transferring these businesses to Nigerians”.
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP
Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.
He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.
Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.
The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.
PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria
This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.
Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.
“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.
“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.
“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari
He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.
Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.
He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.
The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.
He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.
- Entertainment23 hours ago
‘It’s Really Sad That Fashola Is Part Of The Pantomime’ – OAP Toolz Reacts To Camera Found At Tollgate
- Entertainment48 mins ago
“I Don’t Think You’d Ever Lose Me, My Feelings For You Won’t Change” – Neo Promises Vee (Video)
- National News8 hours ago
‘You Cannot Gag The Press’ -Fani-Kayode Reacts To NBC Fine On Media Houses
- News Feed14 hours ago
Nigerian Lawyer, Adegboruwa reacts to Fashola’s ‘discovery’ of camera at Lekki tollgate
- News Feed23 hours ago
Excited groom shares photos of his wedding ceremony
- News Feed23 hours ago
A woman that is focused about her future won’t be buying a hair worth of 100k: Twitter User
- News Feed14 hours ago
25 out of 1900 escaped prisoners return to Correctional Centre in Edo
- Entertainment15 mins ago
Ciara Appreciates Husband, Russell Wilson For His Sweet Words On Her Birthday