Connect with us

Metro News

Its not true that Lecturer who committed suicide did so for failing to get Ph.D for 22 years – VC

Published

on

Its not true that Lecturer who committed suicide did so for failing to get Ph.D for 22 years - VC

Idowu Olayinka, vice chancellor of the University of Ibadan (UI), has debunked reports that Aminu Zubairu, a lecturer in the university, who committed, spent 22 years of his life pursuing a doctorate degree.

The lecturer, who was in the department of mathematics at the university, was said to have committed suicide after failing to get his PhD for 22 years.

However, the university’s VC, Olayinka said although Zubairu had registered for a PhD 22 years ago, and only registered for the first three sessions – it would be partly incorrect to say, that was the reason behind his death.

In statement by Sunday Saanu, media assistant to the VC, the VC said: “It is not completely true that Mr. Aminu Othman Zubairu spent 22 years on his PhD programme. I have checked his personal file at the Postgraduate College.”

“What we have been able to establish thus far is that he only registered for the first three academic sessions. In effect, his original registration would have lapsed technically nearly 19 years ago.

“Many candidates in that category do apply to reactivate their studentship. The impression being created, rather erroneously, is that the late colleague had been on his PhD for 22 years.

“The information at our disposal is to the contrary. At a time the issue of his voluntary resignation of employment was brought to my notice, I invited him to my office and we had fruitful discussions but the initiative did not yield any salutary outcome.

“In view of the wide negative publicity that this unfortunate incident has generated, and the embarrassment caused the University more so when most commentators have not be availed of the full information before drawing conclusions.

The statement added further that the VC is “setting up an investigation panel to interrogate what must have transpired in this case”.

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending