A former minister of state for defence, Musiliu Obanikoro has testified against immediate past governor of Ekiti state, Ayode Fayose in a case between the later and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
According to Obanikoro, who was a member of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, and a former ally of Fayose, he handed $5 million cash, to Fayose back in 2014.
Giving evidence before Mojisola Olatoregun, a judge of the Federal High Court in Lagos on Monday, during the trial of Fayose, Obanikoro revealed that because the bank was unable to pay the equivalent of the money in naira, he had to give physical cash of N200 million to Mr Fayose on June 5, 2014, from the National Security Adviser’s imprest account.
Obanikoro while being led in evidence by the prosecuting counsel, Rotimi Jacobs, who is prosecuting the case on behalf of the anti-graft agency, EFCC, had this to say:
“on a Monday in June, 2014 I received a call from Mr Peter Ayodele Fayose, when we were approaching the gubernatorial election in Ekiti State, wanting to know if there is any message from National Security Adviser Col Sambo Dasuki but I replied no.
“But shortly after his call, a message came in from NSA saying certain amount of money will be received into the account that was opened to manage Boko Haram threat under my watch as minister of state for defence. NSA told me that Fayose will call me as to how he will receive the money.”
“A total equivalent of $5 million from National Security Adviser impress account was given to Fayose by the order of NSA.”
He recounted also how Fayose introduced one “Biodun Agbele to me that he would be the one to receive the money for him which was done in Akure Airport because it was physical cash.”
“I had earlier wanted to transfer the dollars so that the Naira equivalent can be withdrawn in Ado Ekiti, which was the reason why I initially called Diamond Bank M.D but he replied that the bank does not have such capacity in Ado Ekiti for that huge amount of money.”
Kanu Agabi, a senior advocate, Fayose’s counsel then applied for an adjournment to enable him to cross-examine Obanikoro. Olatoregun, therefore adjourned the case to February 4th,5th and 6th, 2019.
The case against the former governor by the EFCC centers on allegations that he and his company, Spotless, received various funds from former National Security Advised, Sambo Dasuki. The funds were said to be have been meant for arms procurement to combat Boko Haram insurgency.
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP
Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.
He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.
Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.
The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.
PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria
This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.
Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.
“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.
“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.
“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari
He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.
Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.
He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.
The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.
He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.
- National News12 hours ago
How Jailbreaks In Edo, Ondo Happened
- Special Reports15 hours ago
Why Nigerians Protest Creation Of SWAT Police
- National News16 hours ago
#EndSARS: Hooligans Pushing For Regime Change – Northern Governors
- Entertainment10 hours ago
#EndSARS: Kiddwaya Appreciates Celebrities, Says They Are Heroes
- Entertainment13 hours ago
‘Anyone Making Jokes About Running Away From Nigeria Is Stupid’ – Runtown
- News Feed16 hours ago
“Our mumu don do” – Man blasts Garba Adamu for asking Northerners to ignore #EndSARS because Buhari is their brother
- National News16 hours ago
Tell Nigerians Who Ordered Lekki shootings, Osundare Urges Buhari
- National News15 hours ago
#EndSARS: Reno Omokri Slams Buhari Over National Broadcast