Connect with us

News Feed

Unbelievable: Football Club Fakes Player’s Death Just To Avoid Playing A Match

Published

on

Fernando LaFuente. Picture: LinkedinSource: Supplied

A Spanish soccer player whose former club in Ireland faked his death in an apparent bid to avoid a match has said he learned of his demise from work colleagues, News.com.au reports.

Fernando LaFuente said he had no role in the ruse attempted by the club in Dublin, Ballybrack FC.

The club has apologised for a “gross error of judgment” after falsely reporting that Mr LaFuente had died in a traffic accident on the way home from training last week.

Ballybrack’s game against Arklow Town on Saturday was postponed, while other teams in the Leinster Senior League held a minute’s silence in honour of the amateur player.

The league also posted a notice of his death in a newspaper before it was discovered that Mr LaFuente was actually alive and well.

Newspapers soon found out the truth

Mr LaFuente moved to Galway a number of months ago. He said the club had told him they might claim that he had an accident as a way of avoiding playing the game against Arklow.

He said he only learned that his death had been faked on Tuesday night. “I was aware there was going to be some story on me but I thought it was going to be me breaking a leg,” he told Ireland’s RTE news.

“I was home yesterday after my work finished. I was playing some video games. Suddenly I got a call from work and they said what’s happened. They told me, ‘you’re a celebrity’.

“They started sending me all these news articles and mass media. And that’s how I found out I was dead.” Mr LaFuente said the club has since apologised to him.

“As soon as I heard the news, I wrote to them,” he said. “They got straight back to me and told me what was going on and they apologised.

“It’s serious on their part but I’m finding it a little bit funny. Because basically, I’m not dead. And no one has actually been harmed here.” Mr LaFuente said he would have had no issue with the club falsely claiming he had broken a limb.

But he said the reports on his death had been a “bit sad”.

“A man in his 20s, with his whole life in front of him, dying in a car accident. I don’t know how I feel about that. It’s funny for me because I’ve been watching my own death,” he said.

The software engineer suggested his ex-club might have been keen to get Saturday’s game called off due to a lack of players.

In a statement, Ballybrack FC said: “At this stage we can only offer our sincere apologies to the Leinster Senior League, our opponents Arklow Town FC and the host of clubs and football people who made contact with us or offered messages of support in recent days.”

The club added that “the person in question has been relieved of all footballing duties” following an emergency meeting.

Leinster Senior League chairman David Moran told RTE that the story “started to unravel” after they had inquired about offering support to the family. The league issued a statement saying that it had acted in “good faith” after being informed of the death.

Stay updated with the latest Nigerian news from Information Nigeria

News Feed

Offa Polytechnic Student Union Government Gives Merit Award To Cultist Groups

Published

on

Offa State Polytechnic student union government gives merit award to cultist groups in the school.

According to a Twitter user, Ifemosu Michael wrote;

“When you think you have seen it all… Student Union Government of Offa Polytechnic gave merit Awards to Secret Cults in the school. Hey Lawd!!!”

Continue Reading

News Feed

Man Excited As Davido Gifts Him 1M After Making A Video On His Birthday

Published

on

Man gets excited as Davido gifts him 1M after making a video on his birthday.

Taking to his Twitter handle to share the gist, DJ Peejay wrote;

“DAVIDO JUST SENT ME 1 MILLION cos of the video I made on his birthday”

Watch the video below;

Continue Reading

News Feed

Water tank driver accuses Duncan Mighty of assaulting him in Rivers

Published

on

 

Self-acclaimed Port Harcourt First Son, Duncan Mighty is currently trending on social media for the wrong reasons.

A water tank driver, Okabam John has accused singer, Duncan Mighty of assaulting him in Port Harcourt, Rivers state.

It was gathered that the incident reportedly happened on Saturday, November 21, 2020 at about 9:40am when the driver was on duty.

Narrating his ordeal to some Civil Rights Activists on Tuesday November 24, after he was allegedly discharged from the hospital, John, a native of Elele Town in Ikwerre Local Government Area of the state and an employee of Julius Berger Nigeria Limited, claimed that the musician struck him on the head with a traditional staff made of elephant tusk.

According to the driver, while on duty a private car was parked close to his water filling spot. He tried notifying the driver who refused to wind down. He reportedly bent his head to talk to the driver only to discover it was Duncan Mighty.

John said that before he could speak, the singer allegedly struck his head using a traditional staff. He said the second strike was blocked with his hand. He claimed that he could not see when the singer drove off as his eyes were covered with blood.

Confirming the incident on Tuesday, one Ndubueze Obodowhuo, accused Duncan Mighty of using his VIP status to intimidate his people. He also shared a ‘medical report’ stating that John was treated for “shoulder dislocation and scalp laceration.”

Mr John is now calling on his employer, the management of Julius Berger, Security Agencies and Human Rights Organisations to help him get justice. His post below:

“This is Mr. OKABAM JOHN a native of Elele town in Ikwerre LGA of Rivers State, he’s currently employed by JULIUS BERGER NIG.PLC in Port Harcourt and his service engagement is within Judges quarters elelenwo-street, GRA Port Harcourt.

“According to Mr. OKABAM JOHN a Water-tank driver with Julius Berger, Tanker number – B8751, On Saturday 21st of November 2020 at about 9:40am while he was on duty. A private car was parked close to his water filling spot, he tried notifying the driver who refused to wine down, he bent his head to talk with the driver surprisingly, it was Duncan mighty.

“Before he could explain, his head was struck by Duncan mighty using a traditional staff(Elephant tusk), the second strike was blocked with his hand. He(Okabam John) didn’t see how the artist drove off because, blood covered his eyes at that moment.

“Mr. Okabam John narrated this incident after being discharged from the hospital. Duncan doesn’t show up when he’s publicly needed, rather he uses his VIP influence to undo his people. Celebrities should be celebrated by their positivity, their influence shouldn’t pose danger to the society rather it should serve as liberation to the people.

“Mr. OKABAM JOHN is calling on the management of Julius Berger, Security Agents and Human Rights Organisations for justice to be done in his case, to avoid a re-occurance.”

Continue Reading

Trending