Connect with us

News Feed

ISIS Claims It Killed 118 Persons After Deadly Attack On Nigerian Soldiers In Borno

Published

on

Islamic State claimed responsibility for five attacks in an area it calls the “State of West Africa” that it said resulted in 118 casualties in the past week, according to a video posted on its account on the messaging website Telegram late on Thursday.

The militant group, which typically uses the “State of West Africa” to refer to Nigeria, made the claim in a video presentation of attacks it says it carried out between Nov. 16 and 22. It did not specify the number of people killed in the attacks, referring only to 118 casualties.

Five security sources told Reuters more than 100 soldiers had been killed in attacks in Nigeria in recent days, one of the highest death tolls since President Muhammadu Buhari came to power in 2015. It could raise pressure on him ahead of an election in February since he has claimed victory over the nine-year insurgency.

The sources said the insurgents attacked a military base in the village of Metele in northeastern Borno state, the epicenter of a revolt by Boko Haram and splinter group Islamic State in West Africa.

Islamic State, in a statement released on Monday, said it attacked an army base on Sunday in Metele and killed at least 40 Nigerian soldiers. The group said it burned down the base after the attack finished.

A Nigerian presidency spokesman on Thursday said the military would issue a statement and military spokesmen did not respond to requests for comment. The government and military often decline to acknowledge the scale of losses in the northeast.

-Reuters

Stay updated with the latest Nigerian news from Information Nigeria

News Feed

UN Secretary General, Antonio Guterres Reacts To Police Brutality In Nigeria

Published

on

United Nations Secretary General, Antonio Guterres has called for the end of police brutality in Nigeria.

UN Secretary General, Antonio Guterres Reacts To Police Brutality In Nigeria

According to the Twitter handle of the United Nation Spokesperson, the UN General Secretary condemns the violent attack on innocent Nigerians.

Speaking further, Antonio said the United Nations is following the developing story in the nation and calls for immediate end of the violent clashes that claimed many lives.

Read his tweet below;

This is coming following the Lekki Toll Gate massacre that claimed 49 lives on Tuesday, 20 October, 2020, in Lagos.

Continue Reading

News Feed

#EndSARS: ‘Forces beyond my control shot at protesters in Lekki’, says Sanwo-Olu

Published

on

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has ordered an immediate investigation into the shootings at Lekki, hours after he imposed a curfew in the state.

Men dressed in military gear opened fire on unarmed protesters at the Lekki toll gate around 7pm on Tuesday, October 20, leaving many dead, injured and hospitalised.

The lights and security cameras were turned off before the shootings began.

Members of the Nigerian army pulled up on us and they started firing. They were shooting, they were firing straight at us and a lot of people got hit. I just barely survived,” says Akinbosola Ogunsanya, who was at the scene of the incident.

The protesters have been calling for an end to police brutality since October 4; and had blocked the Lekki-Epe toll gate, Lekki-Ikoyi link bridge and other major roads in Lagos, while staging sit-in, candle-lit processions for victims of police brutality.

The protests had turned violent and fatal in Lagos and across the country, however, with hoodlums hijacking the marches and burning down police stations for effect.

Sanwo-Olu announced a 24-hour curfew at noon of October 20 in a bid to curtail the violence and halt the anarchy.

The governor initially announced that the curfew would commence at 4pm. This was later moved to 9pm.

The men in military gear opened fire on the unarmed protesters two hours before the curfew was billed to kick off.

Reports say at least 10 people died during the shooting.

Sanwo-Olu, who said he never gave the order, added that he’s visited the scene of the incident and hospitals.

This is the toughest night of our lives as forces beyond our direct control have moved to make dark notes in our history, but we will face it and come out stronger,” the governor said.

I’ve just concluded visits to hospitals with victims of this unfortunate shooting incident at Lekki.

“It has taken me this long to make a statement because I have to prioritize the welfare of the victims of this very sad incident.”

Sanwo-Olu also said he’s going to address residents of the state formally at dawn.

There are currently 10 patients at the General Hospital, 11 at Reddington and 4 at Vedic; with mild to moderate levels of injuries while 2 are receiving intensive medical care.

“3 patients have been discharged and we will continue to monitor and ensure all patients get the best care.

“As the governor of our state, I recognize the buck stops at my table and I will work with the federal government to get to the root of this unfortunate incident and stabilise all security operations to protect the lives of our residents.

“I will give a state broadcast in the morning,” he added.

Continue Reading

News Feed

Nigeria Police Shooting Live Rounds At Yaba, Lagos

Published

on

Nigeria Police Shooting Live Rounds At Yaba, Lagos (Video)

Popular Nigeria Instagram comedian, Mr Macaroni just tweeted an ongoing shooting at Adekunle, Yaba in Lagos.

In the tweet, the twitter said the Nigeria Police are the ones shooting.

Watch Video below;

Continue Reading

Trending