Connect with us

Politics

If Nigeria doesn’t watch its escalating population, in 20 years, Boko Haram will be a child’s play – Emir Sanusi

Published

on

Kano state Anti-corruption agency withdraws invitation to the wife of Emir Sanusi

 

Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, has issued a strong warning to the government over Nigeria’s escalating population.  Sanusi, noted that  in 1960, the country’s population was 45 million, but has skyrocketed to about 200 million, as of today.

Emir Sanusi said this while speaking at the opening of national conference on insurgency and the Boko Haram phenomenon in Nigeria on Tuesday. According to the former Central Bank of Nigeria(CBN) governor, Nigeria’s population in the next next 20 years will be 100 million.

The emir therefore urged the government to so something about the economy and demography, in order to avoid worse than what is currently happening.

In his words:

“The population of Nigeria in 1960 was 45 million, today it is about 200 million. The medium age is 19 and in the next 20 years, we are going to have 100 million Nigerians between the ages of 20 and 40. What will they do? Is the civil service going to employ them? Is the banking industry going to employ them?

“If you want to have a sense of what 100 million is, Germany is the third largest economy in the world and the population of Germany is 85 million. Nigeria is going to have a population of 100 million youths in the next 20 years.

“If we do not build our economy and address our demography explosion, especially in the north east, Boko Haram will be child’s play in another 20 years,”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP

Published

on

National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over 'Disappointing, Empty' Speech – PDP
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over 'Disappointing, Empty' Speech – PDP

Muhammadu Buhari

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has blasted President Muhammadu Buhari over his nationwide broadcast over the ongoing #EndSARS protest rocking the country.

Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.

He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.

Also Read: President Muhammadu Buhari’s speech – Full text

Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.

The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.

Continue Reading

Politics

PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria

Published

on

PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria

PDP

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has condemned the killing of peaceful #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate, Lagos.

This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.

Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.

Also Read: Shehu Sani Condemns Shooting Of #EndSARS Protesters At Lekki Toll Gate

“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.

“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.

“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari

Published

on

Gov Yahaya Bello
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari

Governor Bello

The Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello has declared his intention to lead the #EndSARS protest against police brutality ongoing nationwide.

He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.

Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.

Also Read: Fayemi Names Members Of Judicial Panel On Human Rights Violations By Police

He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.

The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.

He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.

https://twitter.com/jeffreyetuss/status/1318273749565739011?s=19

Continue Reading

Trending