Connect with us

National News

2019 presidency: Ezekwesili takes campaign to Abuja streets

Published

on

THE presidential candidate of the Allied Congress Party of Nigeria (ACPN), Dr. Obiageli Ezekwesili, on Sunday took her campaign trail to the streets of Abuja, where she spoke one-on-one with Abuja residents about her aspiration to become the next president of Nigeria come 2019 and the need for them to vote for her.

The former Minister of Education, who distributed booklets containing her policy action to people she met on the streets, said she was the best candidate among those parading themselves for the job.

To this end, she asked them to only cast their votes for her in the forthcoming presidential election so as not only to change their fortunes in particular, but that of the country in general.

Speaking during the campaign that kicked off at Shoprite in Apo, Ezekwesili said Nigeria was facing slow pace of progress due to mismanagement of resources by the people that were entrusted with leadership.

Ezekwesili explained that she adopted the street campaign strategy because it was a disruptive strategy that would make money unnecessary in campaign and during.

She said that she adopted the strategy to prove to people, who had been asking her about her structure, that she had it in the streets.

The convener of Bring Back Our Girls (BBOG) said, “What we are doing is distribution because a lot of people do say, ‘where is your structure?’

“The issue is that it is the distribution problem that we need to tackle; get the message to the people, who then get the message to any other people. That is what we are doing and you can see how successful it has been so far.

“This is a disruptive strategy; it is a strategy that is going to make money unnecessary to the extent that it (money) will no longer matter in elections.”

She said, “My entry into politics is to change a lot of things. The idea that you go and embezzle so much money and then you use it to buy an office through politics in order to embezzle yet another round of money must end.

“So, we are a low budget campaign. You see what I’m doing? Some of the people who are used to the old traditional system will not understand it. But wait and see. Just wait and see what is going to happen.

“This strategy is working. It is going to work well because the person with the message is superior to the person with the money. The strategy that we have adopted is a very solid strategy.”

Ezekwesili added, “It is not going to be about me, it’s going to be about the Nigerian people sustaining it. This is the movement of the Nigerian people and I’m the candidate of the Nigerian people. I’m not the candidate of the political class. So, my campaign has a strategy to  it and just keep waiting and seeing how it is going to unfold.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Ekiti Extends Curfew Indefinitely

Published

on

Ekiti Extends Curfew Indefinitely
Ekiti Extends Curfew Indefinitely

Governor Fayemi

Amidst the continued violence across the country, Governor of Ekiti State, Kayode Fayemi has approved the extension of the 24-hour curfew in Ekiti State indefinitely.

The curfew was declared on Tuesday evening following reported cases of violence in Ado Ekiti as hoodlums allegedly the peaceful protest by EndSARS protesters.

The initial curfew lapsed on Wednesday night by 10 pm.

Also Read: “I don’t care about #EndSARS”- Edo state deputy governor’s son slams protesters

However, on Thursday morning, the Commissioner for Information, Mr. Akin Omole, announced that the curfew still continues in every part of the state until further notice.

It reads: “The general public is hereby alerted that the 24-hour curfew announced by the State Government is still in place in all parts of the state until further notice.

“Government appreciates the cooperation of all citizens of the state in obeying the curfew and ensuring that peace returns to the state.”

Continue Reading

National News

BREAKING: Hoodlums Invade Ondo Prison, Release Inmates

Published

on

BREAKING: Hoodlums Invade Ondo Prison, Release Inmates
BREAKING: Hoodlums Invade Ondo Prison, Release Inmates

Ondo State map

According to reports, no less than 58 inmates of the National Correctional Service Centre located in Okitipupa, the headquarters of Okitipupa Local Government Area of Ondo State have been released by hoodlums on Thursday.

It was gathered the hoodlums stormed the center, burnt down a vehicle, and forcefully released the inmates.

Also Read: #EndSARS: Hoodlums Hijack Benin Protest, Free Prisoners

It was also gathered that several items were also destroyed on the premises of the prison service.

This is the second jailbreak to be recorded this week, following the jailbreak recorded in Benin, Edo State earlier in the week.

Continue Reading

National News

Ikoyi Prison On Fire, Inmates Attempt Jail Break (Video)

Published

on

Ikoyi Prison On Fire, Inmates Attempt Jail Break (Video)
Ikoyi Prison On Fire, Inmates Attempt Jail Break (Video)

Ikoyi prisoners attempt jailbreak

An attempted jailbreak has reportedly occurred at the Ikoyi Prisons of the Nigeria Correctional Service located in Lagos State.

Videos circulating on social media suggest the Ikoyi prison has been broken into, some building set on fire, and gunshots are been heard as officials try to control the pandemonium.

Also Read: Lekki Shooting: No One Can Explain Buhari’s Silence, Says Kukah

A video clip of the jailbreak shows smoke coming from the prison premises while gunshots were heard in the background.

According to reports gathered the police and military personnel had been deployed to assist prison guards to foil the attempt by inmates to escape.

Watch the video below:

Continue Reading

Trending