Connect with us

National News

‘When your president sits with world presidents, he should be able to understand what they are saying’ – Bukola Saraki shades President Buhari

Published

on

Bukola Saraki, The presidential aspirant of the Peoples Democratic Party, on Tuesday, said Nigerians who voted President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015 had been shortchanged because instead of the President, a few people who constituted themselves as a cabal had been ruling them.

Saraki, who is also the Senate President, spoke while addressing PDP delegates in Oyo State during a meeting where he solicited their votes.

He argued that a few influential world Presidents who had visited Nigeria under the present administration did not stay beyond a few hours because they were convinced that their host did not understand their mission or contributed to the discussion as expected.

He also said that Nigeria lacked the progress it deserved because voting patterns were determined by religion, language and ethnicity instead of capacity and merit. Among those in his entourage were Senator Rafiu Ibrahim, Senator Abiodun Olujinmi, Captain Idris Wada, Dr Doyin Okupe and Muhammed Wakil.

Saraki said,

“Over the years, we have made mistakes in electing people based on sentiment. Yes, it is time we corrected it. We will correct it because we are capable. Over the years, we have voted for people based on religion, the language they speak and where they came from in Nigeria. We need people who have the courage, capacity, ability and determination.

“I have shown over the years, particularly in the recent years that one has the opportunity of leadership, that I have the capacity to take Nigeria forward. The countries that have done well did so not by bringing leaders by chance but because they looked for capable leaders. It is time to pick such a leader.

“The President we have now does not understand leadership. We have endured him for more than three years but it is the same thing. Nigerians voted for him (Buhari) but a cabal is ruling the country. That is not what democracy means. This time, let us look for who can do it. In Nigeria today, we do not have unity. What we need in the present world is a digital President.

“When your president sits with world presidents, he should be able to understand what they are saying. That is why presidents who have visited the country did not stay more than a few hours. But when they know that their host understands them, they will stay longer and explore investment opportunities in Nigeria.”

Saraki said he considered Oyo State his home because his paternal grandmother was from Iseyin area of the state. He added that the state’s priorities would be protected if he became the President.

Similarly, Saraki stated that Nigerians must vote for a capable leader in 2019, stressing that this was critical to the development of the country.

He stated that the nation could not take the over 80 million Nigerians out of poverty without a President with drive, vision and focus.

Speaking in Abuja on Tuesday while presenting his development blueprint to the Southern and Middle Belt Leaders Forum, the senator admonished the people against voting for candidates on sentiments.

“The Asian tiger we talk about didn’t happen by chance, it didn’t happen by trial and error, it happened because they have visionary leaders, leaders that know where they want to take their countries to,” the Senate President said.

He blamed lack of inclusiveness in governance, impunity and insensitivity for the precarious state of the country, noting that the government lacked empathy.

National News

End SARS: No Fatality At Lekki Toll Gate, Says Sanwo-Olu

Published

on

End SARS: No Fatality At Lekki Toll Gate, Says Sanwo-Olu

 

Sanwo-Olu Extends Lagos Curfew By 72 hours

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has denied that death occurred at the Tuesday night shooting.

Recall that men of the Nigerian Army reportedly opened fire on protesters following the declaration of 24 hours curfew by the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwolu.

However, the Army had denied the presence of its soldiers at the scene of the incident.

Speaking on Thursday, Sanwo-olu who blamed the incident on forces beyond his direct control said he went round hospitals, mortuary and confirmed that no death was recorded during the incident.

“Fellow Lagosians, as we pray for the swift recovery of the injured, we are comforted that we have not recorded any fatality against widespread circulation on social media.

”Both myself and the leadership of my ministry of Health have been going round hospitals and mortuaries to see and monitor for ourselves what had happened.”

Continue Reading

National News

Sanwo-Olu Extends Lagos Curfew By 72 Hours

Published

on

Sanwo-Olu Extends Lagos Curfew By 72 hours

Sanwo-Olu Extends Lagos Curfew By 72 hours

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has stretched the 24-hour curfew in the city.

The lockdown has been extended by 72 hours.

Sanwo-Olu made the announcement on Wednesday in a live broadcast.

The development followed the growing violence in different parts of Lagos.

His full speech:

“Dear Lagosians, I address you today with a heavy heart, but not just as your elected Governor. I do so as a father and a brother. I do so as one who is touched by the infirmities and feelings of his people. I do so as a part of the collective humanity that we all share.

Yesterday’s events were no doubt some of the darkest gradients of our history as a State and as a people. As you are perhaps aware, I have been engaging the #EndSARS protesters since Monday 12 and Tuesday 13 October 2020 respectively.

I declared my affinity with their crusade against all forms of police brutalities. I took all of their #5for5 demands to President Muhammadu Buhari (GCFR) and the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu in Abuja. They were all acceded to.

Indeed, I could say we were making progress together though the pace was slow and indeed very slow due to lack of an acceptable leadership amongst the #EndSARS protesters.

However, events took a different turn from Sunday 18, October 2020 as criminal elements took advantage of the firm orders handed down to the officers and men of the Nigerian Police not to resort to shooting as a rule of engagement.

In Ogolonto area of Ikorodu, armed gangs unleashed mayhem on one another. While this was happening, other criminal elements joined in attacking innocent citizens who were returning from church services. There were reported cases of violent robbery of scores of citizens and rape of frightened women scampering for safety.

They are mothers, wives and sisters of our fellow citizens. Other criminal elements in turn began to unleash terror on citizens in different parts of the State like Fagba junction in Ogba and Ebute Metta. In the Ebute Metta incident, 19 officers and men of our Rapid Response Squad (RRS) were severally injured by armed thugs in Adekunle, Ebute Metta. The level of insecurity in different parts of the State became heightened with the multiple attacks on Police Stations.

The lawlessness blossomed into attacking and lynching of Police officers at Herbert Macaulay and Alapere areas of Lagos. Things took a more dangerous turn on Tuesday 20th, 2020 when the Orile and Ilasamaja Police Stations were razed by arsonists.

Chaos took over as Ajeromi Local Government Area offices were completely burnt down and wanton destruction of property followed. In the same Ajeromi, the Local Government Area, Ajegunle in particular, branches of financial institutions were looted and hoodlums attempted to gain access into the Tincan Island Ports.

As these were unfolding, with the help of respected civil society leaders and some concerned parents, we intensified our efforts as a government to persuade the leading lights of the #EndSARS protests to suspend the protests in view of the rising insecurity in the State.

We made the case that their battle has been won. We additionally conceded that they could resume their peaceful protests in Lekki and Alausa once we had succeeded in taming the rising wave of insecurity in the State. To achieve that, we needed a blanket stoppage of all forms of protests so as to make it difficult for violent tendencies to creep into the midst of peaceful protesters.

Our governance of security strategy requires that we do not make a different rule for one group of protesters and another for others. Sadly, we did not succeed in persuading the group of protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate to agree to this.

Unfortunately, while many of the protesters in Alausa dispersed peacefully ahead of the start of the curfew, many of our youths at the Lekki Toll Gate insisted on continuing with the protests. Sadly, there was no leadership to appeal to as they had continually maintained that remaining leaderless was a strategy.
For clarity, it is imperative to explain that no sitting governor controls the rules of engagement of the army. I have nevertheless instructed an investigation into the ordered and the adopted rules of engagement employed by the officers and men of the Nigerian Army deployed to the Lekki Toll Gate yesterday.

This is with a view to taking this up with the high command of the Nigerian Army and seek the intervention of President Muhammadu Buhari in his capacity as the Commander-in-Chief to unravel the sequence of event that happened yesterday.

Fellow Lagosians, while we pray for swift recovery for the injured, we are comforted that no fatalities were recorded as widely circulated on the social media. The leadership of our Ministry of Health led by the Honourable Commissioner, Professor Akin Abayomi worked through the night with different hospitals in Lekki and environ to monitor and provide support for the injured protesters.

It is relevant to let you know that I have also personally visited the 10 patients at the General Hospital, the 11 at Reddington Hospital and the 4 at Vedic Hospital, with mild to moderate injuries as well as the 2 in intensive care. So far, 3 patients have been treated and discharged to reunite with their families.

However, insensitivity with the mood of the nation at this time, I have directed the following: The immediate suspension of all State activities for 3-days except those connected with governance of security in the State and the management of the current issue;

The lowering of the flags in all government establishments for 3-days;

The constitution of a 5-man Fact-Finding Committee into the Rules of Engagement ordered and adopted by the Nigerian Army to be headed by a retired military officer not less than the rank of a General. The report will be presented to the President within 2-weeks.

Fellow Lagosians, this may seem like the darkest hour of our history as a people, our sun will rise again. From the present ashes of our mourning today, a bright morning shall emerge from the womb of time and we shall rise again.

From the lowest place where this incident has thrown us, we shall rise with wings like the Phoenix and regenerate ourselves with new strength for a brighter tomorrow.

As we walk this phase of our history, let us remain one resilient people under God, with absolute faith trusting that we shall indeed rise again. Where we are now is fate. I apologise for everything that happened.”

Continue Reading

National News

They are still shooting at Lekki – DJ Switch

Published

on

They are still shooting at Lekki – DJ Switch

Dj Switch, the heroine at the centre of the Lekki Toll Gate massacre who is currently at the Lekki-Epe expressway has said that the shooting by the security agents is still ongoing as she shared a video of a man with a gunshot wound.

In of the videos, Switch was seen giving orders to those around the area to put their heads down as the shots were being fired.

Watch the videos below:

Continue Reading

Trending