Connect with us

Local News

Thirty Injured In Fresh Explosion In London

Published

on

 

The scene of the incident

Up to 30 people have been injured after an explosion during a Jewish celebration – with witnesses claiming it was sparked by mobile phones being thrown to the flames.

Hundreds had gathered in Stamford Hill, London for Lag BaOmer – an annual event that incorporates bonfires – when it went horribly wrong.

Dramatic footage shows a fire about to be lit, as revellers sing in the background just metres away last night.

Suddenly there is a massive explosion as flames erupt over the entire crowd, with people running for their lives.

London Ambulance Service and the Jewish volunteer ambulance service Hatzola attended at around 11pm.

Both said they treated “multiple patients” for burns.

Around ten people are believed to have been hurt by the flames, with a further 20 people injured in the scramble to get away, according to Jewish news website Yeshiva World.

Hackney Police this morning confirmed ten people have suffered minor injuries after the large fire was lit at Stamford Hill. They added no criminal allegations had been reported, with no serious injuries.

The condition of the patients was not immediately clear last night. Several witnesses claim the explosion came after mobile phones were thrown into the fire, but these reports are unconfirmed.

Some even said the rabbi – a leader of the Chassidic Jewish movement – had chucked a phone into the blaze in a warning against the evil of smartphones.

Stay updated with the latest Nigerian news from Information Nigeria

Local News

Illegal Abortions Responsible For Mysterious Deaths In Bauchi: State Govt

Published

on

Bauchi Governor Bala Mohammed
Bauchi Governor Bala Mohammed

Bauchi Governor Bala Mohammed

Bauchi State Government has revealed that the mysterious deaths recorded in the State has been as a result of illegal abortions.

An investigation carried out by the Bauchi State Primary Healthcare Development Agency has revealed that illegal abortion by unqualified medical practitioners is the cause of mysterious deaths in Azare and other local government areas in the northern part of the state.

According to reports, no fewer than 200 women have died in Bauchi as a result of this and there are projections that the number could be more at the end of the investigation.

The Executive Chairman of the agency, Dr Rilwanu Mohammed, disclosed this Friday, May 29, at an interactive session organized by the Bauchi State Public Health Media Network.

Also Read: We Spend N4,500 Daily On Meals Of Each COVID-19 Patient: Bauchi Govt

Mohammed said the deaths resulted from unwanted and unplanned pregnancies by both married and unmarried women of childbearing ages who, after becoming pregnant, visited quack health workers to terminate the pregnancies.

He said the lack of understanding of the importance of child spacing as well as ignorance of what to do with such pregnancies had become a major problem to family health in the state.

He emphasized the need for adequate sex education for the girl-child by parents, particularly mothers, to reduce unwanted pregnancies, thereby reducing deaths from complications.

Continue Reading

Local News

Ondo Govt Arraigns Suspected Killers Of Funke Olakunrin

Published

on

Funke Olakunrin's suspected killers
Funke Olakunrin's killers

Funke Olakunrin’s killers

The Ondo State Government has arraigned four men suspected to have killed Mrs Funke Olakunrin, the daughter of the National Leader of Afenifere, Pa Reuben Fasoranti.

Recall that it was earlier reported that the Nigeria Police Force handed over the suspects to the State Government.

Also Read: BREAKING: Suspected Killers Of Funke Olakunrin Arrested – Police

They are Lawal Mazaje from the Felele area of Kogi State, Adamu Adamu from Jada area of Adamawa State, Mohammed Usman from Illela area of Sokoto State, and Auwal Abubakar from Shinkafi area of Zamfara State.

The suspects were arraigned on Friday by the government at a Chief Magistrate Court sitting in Akure.

Continue Reading

Local News

Lagos Govt To Shutdown Markets Violating Social Distancing Order

Published

on

Sanwo-Olu Extends Lagos Curfew By 72 hours
Babajide Sanwo-Olu

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

The Lagos State Government has threatened to shut down markets in the State violating the social distancing order.

The Corps Marshal, Lagos State Environmental Sanitation Corps (LAGESC), Gbemisola Akinpelu, gave the warning on Monday at the Command Headquarters in the Oshodi area of the state.

Also Read: Lagos Hospital Shuts Down As Two Staff Test Positive For COVID-19

In a statement issued by the Head, Public Affairs Unit of LAGESC, Adebayo Kehinde noted that the order is coming from the State Ministry of Environment.

He reiterated the commitment of the agency to monitor markets across the state to ensure that the directive of the government is being adhered to strictly.

He urged the traders to maintain environmental cleanliness around the markets and stop trading on road setbacks and drainage.

Continue Reading

Trending