Connect with us

Local News

So Heroic: See How Nigerian Soldiers Dramatically Rescued Old Man From Boko Haram (Photo)

Published

on

According to a report by Punch Metro, the Nigerian military said it had rescued an aged man from the captivity of Boko Haram during crossfire.

A statement by the spokesman for the military counter-insurgency in the North-East (Operation Lafiya Dole), Col. Onyema Nwachukwu, read, “Troops of the Operation Lafiya Dole have rescued an aged man who was held hostage by the elements of Boko Haram terrorist group in Gobara, a village in the Gwoza Local Government Area of Borno State.”


The statement added, “In a rare display of bravery and humaneness, a Platoon Commander of the 192 Battalion, Lt. Asajwun Ahmadu, rescued and personally carried on his shoulders, the feeble aged man who had been caught up in the exchange of fire between the troops and the insurgents during an offensive to clear insurgents out of their hideouts in Gobara on Friday, May 11, 2018. The rescued man is currently receiving medical attention at the 192 Battalion Medical Reception Centre.

“During the advance to conduct the offensive at Gobara, the counter-insurgency troops uncovered and successfully detonated three Improvised Explosive Devices buried by Boko Haram insurgents around the Damboa Bridge, Fadakwe and Fadakwe Christian areas, respectively.

“In the offensive, the gallant troops killed two insurgents and destroyed their camp, logistics and IED factory during the firefight. The troops also recovered eight Dane guns, one G3 Magazine, one IED-making device, unexploded ordnance, three tool boxes, three machetes, electric cable and a Boko Haram flag.

“The troops have also exploited further to clear Shiyadawe, Shiyadawe Bulama and Shiyadawe Fulani, all in the Gwoza Local Government Area of Borno State.”

Stay updated with the latest Nigerian news from Information Nigeria

Local News

Illegal Abortions Responsible For Mysterious Deaths In Bauchi: State Govt

Published

on

Bauchi Governor Bala Mohammed
Bauchi Governor Bala Mohammed

Bauchi Governor Bala Mohammed

Bauchi State Government has revealed that the mysterious deaths recorded in the State has been as a result of illegal abortions.

An investigation carried out by the Bauchi State Primary Healthcare Development Agency has revealed that illegal abortion by unqualified medical practitioners is the cause of mysterious deaths in Azare and other local government areas in the northern part of the state.

According to reports, no fewer than 200 women have died in Bauchi as a result of this and there are projections that the number could be more at the end of the investigation.

The Executive Chairman of the agency, Dr Rilwanu Mohammed, disclosed this Friday, May 29, at an interactive session organized by the Bauchi State Public Health Media Network.

Also Read: We Spend N4,500 Daily On Meals Of Each COVID-19 Patient: Bauchi Govt

Mohammed said the deaths resulted from unwanted and unplanned pregnancies by both married and unmarried women of childbearing ages who, after becoming pregnant, visited quack health workers to terminate the pregnancies.

He said the lack of understanding of the importance of child spacing as well as ignorance of what to do with such pregnancies had become a major problem to family health in the state.

He emphasized the need for adequate sex education for the girl-child by parents, particularly mothers, to reduce unwanted pregnancies, thereby reducing deaths from complications.

Continue Reading

Local News

Ondo Govt Arraigns Suspected Killers Of Funke Olakunrin

Published

on

Funke Olakunrin's suspected killers
Funke Olakunrin's killers

Funke Olakunrin’s killers

The Ondo State Government has arraigned four men suspected to have killed Mrs Funke Olakunrin, the daughter of the National Leader of Afenifere, Pa Reuben Fasoranti.

Recall that it was earlier reported that the Nigeria Police Force handed over the suspects to the State Government.

Also Read: BREAKING: Suspected Killers Of Funke Olakunrin Arrested – Police

They are Lawal Mazaje from the Felele area of Kogi State, Adamu Adamu from Jada area of Adamawa State, Mohammed Usman from Illela area of Sokoto State, and Auwal Abubakar from Shinkafi area of Zamfara State.

The suspects were arraigned on Friday by the government at a Chief Magistrate Court sitting in Akure.

Continue Reading

Local News

Lagos Govt To Shutdown Markets Violating Social Distancing Order

Published

on

Sanwo-Olu Extends Lagos Curfew By 72 hours
Babajide Sanwo-Olu

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

The Lagos State Government has threatened to shut down markets in the State violating the social distancing order.

The Corps Marshal, Lagos State Environmental Sanitation Corps (LAGESC), Gbemisola Akinpelu, gave the warning on Monday at the Command Headquarters in the Oshodi area of the state.

Also Read: Lagos Hospital Shuts Down As Two Staff Test Positive For COVID-19

In a statement issued by the Head, Public Affairs Unit of LAGESC, Adebayo Kehinde noted that the order is coming from the State Ministry of Environment.

He reiterated the commitment of the agency to monitor markets across the state to ensure that the directive of the government is being adhered to strictly.

He urged the traders to maintain environmental cleanliness around the markets and stop trading on road setbacks and drainage.

Continue Reading

Trending