Connect with us

Politics

Government names Dokpesi, others in Dasuki’s fresh amended charge

Published

on

Prominent politicians from the opposition party have been listed as beneficiaries of the alleged diversion of $2.1 billion arms funds in the trial of former National Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd).

The list includes National Chairman of PDP, Uche Secondus; former Chairman, Board of Trustees of PDP, Chief Tony Anenih; former PDP spokesperson, Chief Olisa Metuh; Publisher of Thisday, Nduka Obaigbena; Senator Iyorchia Ayu, Chairman, Africa Independent Television (AIT), Dr. Raymond Dokpesi; Mouftah Baba-Ahmed, Bello Abba Mohammed, Dr. Bello Mohammed, Air Vice Marshal (AVM) M.N. Umar, Otunba Jonah Ogunniyi, among others. Corporate organisations were also named as beneficiaries in the new charges.

The development came as the Federal Government filed fresh 32-count amended charge against Dasuki and three others.

Apart from filing new charges with fresh names, a new twist was also introduced into the trial by government as a key defendant in the matter, Salisu Shuaib, who was a former Director of Finance and Supply in the ONSA under Dasuki was dropped from the new charge.

The amended charge, dated April 30, 2018, was signed by Director of Legal Services with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mr. Chile Okoroma.

However, no reason could be immediately obtained why the former Director of Finance in the office of the National Security Adviser who served along with Dasuki was dropped from the trial having been arraigned together since 2015.

But lead counsel to Dasuki, Mr. Ahmed Raji (SAN), who was sighted at the FCT High Court along with Dasuki, told judiciary correspondents that he did not know the deal between Shuaib, the Federal Government and the EFCC on the new twist.

Raji, however, said subsequent events in the trial would reveal to the defendants and their counsel all the circumstances leading to the dropping of the core accused, adding that “till then, we will keep our fingers crossed.”

Meanwhile, Justice Hussein Baba-Yusuf of the FCT High Court is expected to take the fresh plea of the four defendants on May 17, 2018.

Source: www.guardian.ng

Politics

National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP

Published

on

National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over 'Disappointing, Empty' Speech – PDP
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over 'Disappointing, Empty' Speech – PDP

Muhammadu Buhari

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has blasted President Muhammadu Buhari over his nationwide broadcast over the ongoing #EndSARS protest rocking the country.

Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.

He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.

Also Read: President Muhammadu Buhari’s speech – Full text

Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.

The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.

Continue Reading

Politics

PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria

Published

on

PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria

PDP

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has condemned the killing of peaceful #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate, Lagos.

This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.

Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.

Also Read: Shehu Sani Condemns Shooting Of #EndSARS Protesters At Lekki Toll Gate

“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.

“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.

“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari

Published

on

Gov Yahaya Bello
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari

Governor Bello

The Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello has declared his intention to lead the #EndSARS protest against police brutality ongoing nationwide.

He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.

Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.

Also Read: Fayemi Names Members Of Judicial Panel On Human Rights Violations By Police

He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.

The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.

He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.

https://twitter.com/jeffreyetuss/status/1318273749565739011?s=19

Continue Reading

Trending