Connect with us

Local News

FG Loses $300 Million Annually To Offshore Vessel Berthing

Published

on

FG loses $300m annually to offshore vessel berthing

Mr Temisan Omatseye, former Director-General, Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), says Nigeria is losing about 300 million dollars yearly for berthing five degrees East on Nigerian waters.

Omotseye said this at the 3rd Annual Conference tagged: “A Day with Nigeria Maritime Students 2018’’ organised by Platforms Communications in Lagos on Monday.

He urged the Federal Government to look into the issue to enable Nigerian ports to be cheaper and attractive for port users.

According to him, the foreign ship owners have taken over all the maritime business, while the ship-owners are left with nothing.

“Nigerian shippers should be allowed to take charge of their goods as soon as they arrive the country because this is what is applicable all over the world.

“All the foreign ship owners will not allow Nigerians to get near vessels as soon as they arrive the country, in spite of being the landlord of the ports.

“We want government to assist Nigerian ship owners to be in charge because by so doing, they will create more employment for teaming youths.

“Nigeria will soon be competing with its foreign counterparts with the recent equipment government has provided for the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) which is presently having multiplier effect on their operations,’’ Omotseye said.

He commended NIMASA for the establishment of the National Seafarer Development Programme (NSDP), which had assisted in the training of some Nigerian youths to the level of Sea time training.

Omotseye, however, advised youths that were yet to obtain acquire sea time training not to relent, adding that Nigeria need their services because most of the seafarers were ageing and there was the need for replacement.

Also speaking, the President, Africa Women in Maritime (WIMA), Mrs Jean Chiazor-Anishere, urged the Federal Government to collaborate with Platform Communications to obtain data of cadets with distinctions.

She said that if experienced cadets were employed, it would have positive effect on operations of the maritime industry as well as encourage the other students to work hard.

Chiazor-Anishere said that many graduating cadets had been able to get employment as a result of this Annual programme organised by platform Communications.

The Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Platform Communications, Mr Sylvanus Obasi, said it was necessary for government to reposition the Nigerian Maritime academies for new opportunities and technology in global maritime operations.

Obasi said that there was also the need for government to know if the maritime institutions have what it takes to train professionals who could compete globally.

“I feel that we need to reposition our institutions if our cadets still go to Ghana to upgrade their certification in other for them to be able to work onboard foreign vessels.

“We need to reposition our maritime institutions if they do not have modern equipment as well as repositioning Nigerian universities to be offering shipping and admiralty laws.

“There are new challenges which have given rise to new innovations, technology, information as well as practice.

“Nigerian Maritime students need to be in tune with these changes in other to play at that global level as professionals,’’ Obasi said.

He urged the students to begin to engage in research to enable them get opportunities which would go a long way in stemming the rate of unemployment. 

-NAN

Stay updated with the latest Nigerian news from Information Nigeria

Local News

Illegal Abortions Responsible For Mysterious Deaths In Bauchi: State Govt

Published

on

Bauchi Governor Bala Mohammed
Bauchi Governor Bala Mohammed

Bauchi Governor Bala Mohammed

Bauchi State Government has revealed that the mysterious deaths recorded in the State has been as a result of illegal abortions.

An investigation carried out by the Bauchi State Primary Healthcare Development Agency has revealed that illegal abortion by unqualified medical practitioners is the cause of mysterious deaths in Azare and other local government areas in the northern part of the state.

According to reports, no fewer than 200 women have died in Bauchi as a result of this and there are projections that the number could be more at the end of the investigation.

The Executive Chairman of the agency, Dr Rilwanu Mohammed, disclosed this Friday, May 29, at an interactive session organized by the Bauchi State Public Health Media Network.

Also Read: We Spend N4,500 Daily On Meals Of Each COVID-19 Patient: Bauchi Govt

Mohammed said the deaths resulted from unwanted and unplanned pregnancies by both married and unmarried women of childbearing ages who, after becoming pregnant, visited quack health workers to terminate the pregnancies.

He said the lack of understanding of the importance of child spacing as well as ignorance of what to do with such pregnancies had become a major problem to family health in the state.

He emphasized the need for adequate sex education for the girl-child by parents, particularly mothers, to reduce unwanted pregnancies, thereby reducing deaths from complications.

Continue Reading

Local News

Ondo Govt Arraigns Suspected Killers Of Funke Olakunrin

Published

on

Funke Olakunrin's suspected killers
Funke Olakunrin's killers

Funke Olakunrin’s killers

The Ondo State Government has arraigned four men suspected to have killed Mrs Funke Olakunrin, the daughter of the National Leader of Afenifere, Pa Reuben Fasoranti.

Recall that it was earlier reported that the Nigeria Police Force handed over the suspects to the State Government.

Also Read: BREAKING: Suspected Killers Of Funke Olakunrin Arrested – Police

They are Lawal Mazaje from the Felele area of Kogi State, Adamu Adamu from Jada area of Adamawa State, Mohammed Usman from Illela area of Sokoto State, and Auwal Abubakar from Shinkafi area of Zamfara State.

The suspects were arraigned on Friday by the government at a Chief Magistrate Court sitting in Akure.

Continue Reading

Local News

Lagos Govt To Shutdown Markets Violating Social Distancing Order

Published

on

Sanwo-Olu Extends Lagos Curfew By 72 hours
Babajide Sanwo-Olu

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

The Lagos State Government has threatened to shut down markets in the State violating the social distancing order.

The Corps Marshal, Lagos State Environmental Sanitation Corps (LAGESC), Gbemisola Akinpelu, gave the warning on Monday at the Command Headquarters in the Oshodi area of the state.

Also Read: Lagos Hospital Shuts Down As Two Staff Test Positive For COVID-19

In a statement issued by the Head, Public Affairs Unit of LAGESC, Adebayo Kehinde noted that the order is coming from the State Ministry of Environment.

He reiterated the commitment of the agency to monitor markets across the state to ensure that the directive of the government is being adhered to strictly.

He urged the traders to maintain environmental cleanliness around the markets and stop trading on road setbacks and drainage.

Continue Reading

Trending