Apo six victims
The Federal Government on Thursday in Abuja, presented a cheque of N135 million to victims and family members of the September 18, 2013 killings of some squatters in an uncompleted building in Apo, Abuja.
It will be recalled that operatives of the State Security Services, SSS, allegedly acting on intelligence, raided the building resulting in the death of eight people while 11 others sustained injuries.
The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, (SAN) who presented the cheque to the National Human Rights Commission, NHRC, for onward payment to beneficiaries said the money was approved by President Mohammadu Buhari.
The minister noted that on account of the incident, two separate actions were commenced, one at the ECOWAS Court and the second at the NHRC and the plaintiffs opted for the judgment of the commission.
“I engaged the NHRC, the National Association of Commercial Tricycle and Motorcycle Owners and legal representative of the plaintiffs and also the Sarki of Apo and the NGOs involved.
“I also engaged and the victims and their immediate families in ensuring that upon payment, the victims will be accorded the fair and equitable awards to ensure that the money gets to the beneficiaries.
“I am glad to inform you that the NHRC has received the payment from the DSS and the process of payment of the monies to the beneficiaries starts today.”
Mr Malami commended the president for approving the payment, saying the gesture, which was first of its kind in Nigeria, confirmed the president’s commitment to the rule of law and respect of human rights.
The incoming Executive Secretary of NHRC, Tony Ojukwu, said by receiving the cheque, the commission felt accomplished .
He said this was because under the present government, it had been able to provide effective remedy to the violation of the rights of the victims of the Apo incident.
“In this regard, the commission wishes to commend the DSS for its obedience, in this case, to the lawful directives of the commission.”
Mr Ojukwu acknowledged that no amount of money could compensate the injuries and losses incurred but urged the victims and families members of the deceased to see the gesture as justice been done.
Responding on behalf of the beneficiaries, Usman Gwoza, Chairman, FCT Chapter, National Tricycle and Motorcycle Owners and Riders Association expressed appreciation to the Federal Government.
“Today makes it four years, seven months and six days since the incident that took the lives of eight of our members and caused indescribable damage to others happened.
“This is how long we have been toiling not just to prove our innocence but to also get compensation for the victims families and the injured,” he said.
He thanked Nigerians for speaking up on their behalf when they presumed that grave injustice was meted out on them.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that families of each of the eight decreased will receive N10 million and each of the 11 that survived will receive five million Naira.
Stay updated with the latest Nigerian news from Information Nigeria
Welcome the next set of MTN Scholars!
360 young Nigerians receive scholarships from MTN Foundation
MTN Foundation has awarded scholarships to 360 university students at a virtual ceremony on November 12, 2020. The scholarships were awarded under the MTNF scholarship schemes made up of the MTNF Science & Technology Scholarship (STSS) and Scholarship for the Blind Students (SBSS). In attendance were the Honourable Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, represented by the Technical Assistant, Dr. Olufemi Adeluyi; Honourable Minister of Science & Technology represented by the Acting Director-General of the National Space Research and
Development Agency, Dr. Francis Chizea; former Minister of Communication Technology, Dr. Omobola Johnson amongst other notable dignitaries.
Speaking at the ceremony, the representative of the Honourable Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr. Olufemi Adeluyi said: “We are here with the MTN Foundation to celebrate scholars that have excelled in school. MTN is also supporting people with disabilities by funding their education and this is very commendable. The Federal Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy is constantly working towards elevating skills over degrees. We are also committed to ensuring that individuals are empowered with the right tools and skills.”
Also speaking, Honourable Minister of Science & Technology, Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu represented by Dr. Francis Chizea said: “I am glad that MTN, in giving back to the society through its foundation, set up a scholarship scheme to empower the youths and as well, drive science and technology. This is a welcome development and a commendable effort that other organizations need to emulate.”
A major highlight of the ceremony was a fireside chat themed “Insight. Influence. Impact” with thought leaders sharing inspiring insights with the scholars. Nigeria’s former Minister for Communication Technology, Dr. Omobola Johnson reiterated the role MTN continues to play in the ICT space and its impact on the country. “We need to get a workforce that is very comfortable with technology. We are in a state where we need world-class educational institutions and interventions such as this that will enable students to be very vast in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics,” Johnson said.
Leading to the ceremony, this year’s graduating students from the scholarship programme were hosted to a career incubation boot camp facilitated by experts from Google, Oracle, Cisco and Jobberman. Facilitators shared insights on various opportunities amongst other vital employability tips.
Speaking on the scholarship award ceremony and workshop for graduands, Executive Secretary, MTN Foundation, Nonny Ugboma said, “Providing access to quality education is the first step to a world of opportunity for the youth of our nation. We know it does not stop there. We need to also ensure that they are adequately prepared for the
workplace. We hope that the fireside chat at the award ceremony will inspire the students to reach for greatness and innovation. Furthermore, it is our belief that the employability workshop held earlier will enrich the career path of the graduating students. The MTNF scholarship scheme is more than just funds; it is a commitment to
build the capacity of our youth. We wish all our graduating scholars success as they set out to take on the world and congratulate all awardees as the next set of young nation builders in the making.”
The newly awarded scholars will each enjoy a scholarship grant worth N200,000 annually till graduation as long as they maintain a CGPA of 3.5 or its equivalent. The scholarship covers tuition, book allowance and stipend. Till date, MTN Foundation has awarded scholarships to 3,829 students valued at over NGN 2.1Billion.
The MTNF annual scholarships are awarded to high performing students in Nigerian public tertiary institutions.
Illegal Abortions Responsible For Mysterious Deaths In Bauchi: State Govt
Bauchi State Government has revealed that the mysterious deaths recorded in the State has been as a result of illegal abortions.
An investigation carried out by the Bauchi State Primary Healthcare Development Agency has revealed that illegal abortion by unqualified medical practitioners is the cause of mysterious deaths in Azare and other local government areas in the northern part of the state.
According to reports, no fewer than 200 women have died in Bauchi as a result of this and there are projections that the number could be more at the end of the investigation.
The Executive Chairman of the agency, Dr Rilwanu Mohammed, disclosed this Friday, May 29, at an interactive session organized by the Bauchi State Public Health Media Network.
Mohammed said the deaths resulted from unwanted and unplanned pregnancies by both married and unmarried women of childbearing ages who, after becoming pregnant, visited quack health workers to terminate the pregnancies.
He said the lack of understanding of the importance of child spacing as well as ignorance of what to do with such pregnancies had become a major problem to family health in the state.
He emphasized the need for adequate sex education for the girl-child by parents, particularly mothers, to reduce unwanted pregnancies, thereby reducing deaths from complications.
Ondo Govt Arraigns Suspected Killers Of Funke Olakunrin
The Ondo State Government has arraigned four men suspected to have killed Mrs Funke Olakunrin, the daughter of the National Leader of Afenifere, Pa Reuben Fasoranti.
Recall that it was earlier reported that the Nigeria Police Force handed over the suspects to the State Government.
They are Lawal Mazaje from the Felele area of Kogi State, Adamu Adamu from Jada area of Adamawa State, Mohammed Usman from Illela area of Sokoto State, and Auwal Abubakar from Shinkafi area of Zamfara State.
The suspects were arraigned on Friday by the government at a Chief Magistrate Court sitting in Akure.
- Politics11 hours ago
BREAKING: Senator Abbo Dumps PDP; Joins APC
- News Feed10 hours ago
Lai Mohammed reacts to second report on Lekki tollgate shooting
- National News14 hours ago
Family Of Slain Vendor Demands N500m Compensation From Gbajabiamila, Threatens Legal Action
- Entertainment11 hours ago
Socialite Pretty Mike And His 6 Pregnant Babymamas Make It To The Wendy Williams Show
- News Feed10 hours ago
Water tank driver accuses Duncan Mighty of assaulting him in Rivers
- News Feed10 hours ago
Offa Polytechnic Student Union Government Gives Merit Award To Cultist Groups
- Entertainment12 hours ago
“Know Who You’re Coming For” – BBNaija’s Cee-C Debunks Rumor That She Didn’t Pass Her Bar Exams
- National News11 hours ago
BREAKING: Court Fixes Date For Ndume’s Bail Application