Failure pushed me into becoming online comedian – Omo Ibadan

Adeyela Adebola, aka Omo Ibadan, is a rising star known for her funny skits. In this chat with TOFARATI IGE, she speaks about her career and many other issues

What motivated you to start comedy skits?

It is often said that boredom precedes moments of great creativity. It all started when I was denied admission to study Microbiology at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State. My name was removed from the admission list and I don’t know why that happened till date. I was at home alone and different thoughts started coming to me. I decided to put them into skits and that was how I started uploading comedy skits online. In a way, it was failure and setback that pushed me into becoming an online comedian. However, I have always been a carefree and playful person. Before I started uploading skits on Instagram, I had a lot of fans on Facebook who always liked to see my updates because they were usually hilarious. That’s why people were not really surprised when I started doing video skits because they knew that I have always been funny.

When exactly did you start uploading video skits?

I started around May 2017. On the particular day I started, I was at home and I suddenly had an idea to post an update on Facebook but I felt it would be better if I did it in video format so that people would really understand the message I wanted to pass across. I asked my elder brother to help me shoot the video and I uploaded it online. The joke was about how girls from different states, including Ibadan, sleep.

Which schools did you attend?

I attended the School of Science, Ile-Ife, Osun State, for my post-elementary education. I also attended the Federal Polytechnic, Ede, Osun State, where I bagged an Ordinary National Diploma in Science Laboratory Technology. Right now, I am a student of The Polytechnic, Ibadan, for my Higher National Diploma in Microbiology.

What were your childhood ambitions?

As a child, I wanted to become a medical doctor. I have always wanted to make people happy. I wanted to keep people alive by finding cures to diseases and other things. That was the major reason I wanted to become a doctor; so I could save lives. Now that I am a comedian, I feel I am still in line with my goals because I make people happy with what I do; and it is often said that laughter is the best medicine.

Do you also perform stand-up comedy?

Yes, I do. However my style of stand-up comedy is more like stage drama; it is similar to what I do in my videos with the coaching centre theme. In that case, the audience would be the students and everybody would have fun.

Did you enjoy the support of your parents when you started your comedy career?

Yes, they offered me their full support. I believe that I am lucky for having parents like mine. I actually started my entertainment career with music and I have recorded a lot of songs. I recall that my father always wanted to hear my songs first. He used to call me even when I was in the studio to encourage me. Both my dad and mum always share my comedy skits with their friends. I really appreciate them.

What are some of the memorable experiences of your childhood?

I didn’t grow up in an expensive neighbourhood; though it wasn’t also a ghetto. There were a lot of children in the compound where I grew up and we used to play a lot. My nickname as a child was Sibi Onike (plastic spoon) and I would tell you the story behind it. Whenever it was time to go to school, I always found one reason or the other why I could not go because I hated school as a kid. I used to cry whenever they wanted to take me to school and I would tell my mum that I wanted plastic spoon, and whenever she gave me that, I would tell her that I wanted an iron spoon. Even when she gave me the iron spoon, I would reject it again and say I wanted plastic spoon. I also had another nickname, Bola on the mango tree. I remember that my mum bought me a dress with the inscription, ‘Bom’ and the elderly ones around used to joke that the Bom was an abbreviation for Bola on the mango tree. I had a lot of fun as a child and sometimes, I wish I could go back to being a kid.

Are you based in Ibadan?

I wouldn’t say yes or no. These days, I spend more time in Ibadan though I am based in Ile-Ife because that is where my parents live.

What skit led to your breakthrough?

It was the one titled, I109-attention. It was the first coaching centre skit that led to my breakthrough. When I recorded that skit, I was on the sick bed and I uploaded it on Facebook. Right from the hospital, I saw that the skit had gone viral. Some patients in the hospital were watching the skit and I was quite amazed. When I logged in to Instagram, I saw that the skit had also been shared on that platform several times.

What are the most memorable times of your career?

I believe that every day is memorable. I don’t think that there is any day that is more special than the rest.

What has been the most embarrassing moment in your career?

I don’t think I have experienced any form of embarrassment since I started my comedy skits. However, an incident happened the first day I was invited to compere a wedding reception but I don’t want to talk about it because of the people involved.

Some people think that you truly cannot speak English language well. Is that true?

It is true that I cannot speak English well; it is not my mother tongue (laughs). Seriously though, I can speak English and I can communicate well. My accent in the comedy skits is part of the act.

How do you get inspiration for your skits?

I am more creative when I am alone. However, I get ideas from almost everything around me but I need to be alone to build on the ideas. At times, when I discuss with my friends and family, I pick some ideas from our conversations and develop them into skits.

Some people also feel that you portray Ibadan people as ‘local’. Do you agree with that?

No, I don’t portray Ibadan people as being local. I love the accent of Ibadan people and I think I am just trying to promote it, not denigrate it. If anybody says that I am portraying Ibadan people as being local, then it means I am also local. If I could mimic any other language or accent, I would also use it for comedy.

How often do you advertise for people?

I do that quite a lot these days. However, I always give my clients specific time frames that their adverts would be done so that I don’t put too much pressure on myself and also bombard my fans with adverts.

Do you do other jobs apart from comedy?

I don’t have other jobs apart from comedy because I am still a student. However, I have several other interests apart from comedy. I am a singer and writer. As a matter of fact, I discovered my comedy talent through writing. Through my writings on social media, I have met several intellectual people, including professors, that I never thought I would have the opportunity of meeting.

What do you hope to achieve with your career?

I have a lot of plans. I always pray that God shouldn’t just bless me; He should make me a blessing to my generation. I want to impact lives. I don’t want something that would impact me alone.

What are your hobbies?

I like to play. Even when I meet people for the first time, I relate with them as if I had known them for years. I also love reading and dancing. I love books that inspire me and lift my spirit. Then, I like to be alone and in those moments, I write a lot.

Are you in a relationship at the moment?

No, I am not.

What are the ideal qualities you like in a man?

I don’t really have a list of ideal qualities but I love dark and intelligent guys; a man with a cool personality. I don’t get carried away by material things; so I don’t care whether you are rich or not. Once I believe in you and you believe in my dreams as well, then, we are ready to go.

How do you like to dress?

I love dressing like a boy. I usually turn out in shirts, trousers and sneakers. My favourite fashion items are sneakers and other shoes. I can spend any amount on them.

1. toluwalope bolaji

March 10, 2018 at 9:34 am

NYC meeting u
    chat mi up

2. olayimika

March 10, 2018 at 10:10 am

if all this is true, about her that means she is wonderful

3. Friday

March 10, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Would want to give her a job

4. Philip Gideon

March 10, 2018 at 1:41 pm

Great woman of our time. I almost did not believe facts about her relationship but on. Second thought, she is honest with her submissions. I live your skits but please make them less abusive…I mean make us laugh and teach us morals not with abusive words like “Ori yin buru”.
    Thank you Lady for your gifts. They lift up my spirit

5. Soji Omole

March 10, 2018 at 2:43 pm

I still remember one or two of those clips and am still laughing here. Nigerians just need to look inward. One seemingly playful stunt, and that my be it.

6. Mariam Ayopelumi

March 10, 2018 at 7:50 pm

Wow…. You’re just too wonderful, I wish you all the best. Barakhaallah fhee
    I think we can work together.

7. Daly

March 11, 2018 at 1:28 am

wow…its really nice..I like ur comedy.. in fact all d questions I’ve got in mind abt u have bin answered… Bravo Girl.. wish u all d very BEST in ur career.. AMEN

8. Atoyebi olabisi ridwan

March 11, 2018 at 12:50 pm

U ave been wonderful with ur comedy keep it up d lord is ur strength

9. Adeoye Johnson Adebowale

March 13, 2018 at 4:21 am

Congratulations fine girl. Initial challenges of life ultimately defined your future for you.
    It was nice you didn’t give up. I love your ‘figure of speech’ especially.
    Simile, pun, oxymoron, onemetopaedia, etc.
    God will continue to open your eyes to understanding.
    Once again, congratulations.

10. Chris

March 13, 2018 at 4:39 pm

Sibi onike, your out-spoken words inspired. Wish you well in your line of life. More grace to move on. Pls, more of WOD PRONAS cos it best it kinds.

11. sheila

March 13, 2018 at 5:06 pm

thumbs up girl keep it up

12. Abdullahi

March 14, 2018 at 8:56 pm

It shal we’ll with u, jar bless d struggle, u ar wonderful

13. Austin Godson

March 15, 2018 at 12:14 pm

You are more than wonderful , I will be more interested in the music can’t wait to see you performing in that field

14. Adelola

March 15, 2018 at 12:17 pm

Nice one,keep it up

15. Sunday Anuoluwapo

March 16, 2018 at 2:51 pm

Wow am so impressed, its moves me
    Keep it up.

16. Adebayo Joseph Olufemi

March 17, 2018 at 2:58 pm

How I wish all the Olosos.the runs and the slay Queens learn from her. This is a lady that discovered herself through self actualization. The sky is just the beginning for you to achieve greatness. Keep it up. the Lord Jesus is your strength.

17. Adebayo Joseph Olufemi

March 17, 2018 at 2:58 pm

Omotola Jalade Ekeinde Under Fire For Asking If People Died In Lekki Massacre

'Nigeria Needs To Change Quickly' - Actress Omotola Jalade Ekeinde
Omotola Jalade Ekeinde Under Fire After Asking If People Died At Lekki Massacre

Omotola Jalade Ekeinde

Nigerian actress, Omotola Jalade Ekeinde, has come under fire after she asked if truly people died at the Lekki Tollgate massacre on Tuesday.

The movie star had taken to her Twitter account to urge people to stop the sensationalism of the tragic incident. “If people died during the Lekki Toll Assault, let their people speak out please and if there were no deaths then enough with the sensationalization because it does not remove from the crime that happened. PEACEFUL PROTESTERS WERE ATTACKED. WHY? BY WHOM! #EndImpunityinNigeria“, she had tweeted.

Read AlsoOmotola Jalade Ekeinde And Her Family Join #EndSARS Protest

Although she has apologized and deleted the tweet, the reactions from Nigerian users on the microblogging platform show that she has stepped on toes and many are angry with her for making such statement.

See tweets below:

tweets

tweets

tweets

Why I Am Not Leaving Nigeria Soon: Laycon

BBNaija's Laycon Explains Why He Is Not Leaving Nigeria Soon

Laycon

Winner of BBNaija Lockdown reality TV show, Laycon, has revealed why he is not leaving Nigeria soon. This is after a fan asked the reality TV star on Twitter if he is planning on leaving the country like his colleagues.

Vee, Neo, Nenji, Ozo dey plan japaa, only Laycon still dey write motivational tweets @itsLaycon which way na?!“, the fan had asked.

The rapper then replied that he cannot leave the country without his fanbase known as the ‘Icons’. He says the only possible way through which he will relocate is if he is able to carry his fans along with him.

Read Also: NURTW Chairman, MC Oluomo Gifts Laycon N2.5m

In his words:

“If I wan japa, I gats carry all my icons with me… So until that one dey possible, I dey here with Una..”

See his tweet below:

Laycon’s reply

M.I Abaga Explains Aim Of End SARS Protest

M.I Abaga Explains Aim Of End SARS Protest
M.I Abaga Explains Aim Of End SARS Protest

M.I Abaga

Nigerian rapper, Jude Abaga, also known as MI Abaga, has revealed the aim of the #EndSARS protests to a Twitter user who was curious enough to ask.

The fan had also included Falz, Runtown, Davido, Wizkid and Mr. Macaroni in the conversation. “I have a question for @falzthebahdguy @iRuntown @davido @wizkidayo @mrmacaronii @MI_Abaga and the rest of you guys that actually boost everyone’s moral.. Do you guys think what the outcome might look like??“the fan had tweeted.

Read Also“Your Hatred, Bitterness Is The Reason Your Career Is Dead – MI Abaga Replies Vector (Audio)

The destination is glory!!! That the most powerful black nation on earth may rise.. and provide the soil upon which her children flourish.. and truly flourish“, MI Abaga replied.

See the Twitter exchange below: