Connect with us

National News

Kenyan Court suspends government ban of three Television stations

Published

on

Kenyan Court has suspended a government shutdown of three private TV channels that was prompted by their coverage of opposition leader, Raila Odinga’s self-proclaimed presidential inauguration.

On Tuesday, opposition leaders defied authorities, went ahead with a ceremony to swear in Mr. Odinga as “president of the people” at a mass meeting in the capital, Nairobi.

“Government expected to restore NTV, Citizen TV & KTN News signals after High Court suspends switch off for 14 days pending case being heard,” NTV Kenya wrote on its official Twitter feed.

Earlier, three Kenyan journalists said they spent the night in their newsroom in fear of arrest, watching plainclothes policemen camped outside.

They said that their lawyers would file court petitions in the morning seeking to ensure their freedom.

Their station, NTV, was one of three independently owned stations shut down by Kenyan authorities on Tuesday after they broadcast live coverage of an opposition ceremony symbolically “swearing in” of Odinga.

“We were doing our job, we had the right to do this, and if I was to do it again, I’d do it the same way,” NTV senior anchor, Ken Mijungu, told Reuters after an anxious night spent conferring with lawyers and wondering if police would appear with arrest warrants.

He said his colleagues, Larry Madowo and Linus Kaikai, had all been independently warned by security sources on Wednesday that their arrest was imminent.

In the early evening, when men they believed were plainclothes police appeared outside their office building, they were advised by the station’s management to stay inside.

By morning, the men were still in their newsroom.

“Our head of security said he has reason to believe they have gone for reinforcements,” said Mr. Madowo, 30, who was producing coverage on Tuesday before authorities took NTV off air.

In African states with entrenched rulers such as the Democratic Republic of Congo and Cameroon, governments have asked telecommunications companies to block social media, mainly during elections and protests.

The shutdown of TV stations in Kenya came as a shock to journalists used to operating freely.

“This is clearly a slide to dictatorship. It’s a return to a repressive period we had forgotten about,” said Mr. Madowo.

“We are becoming another African country with these kinds of issues.”

Mr. Kaikai, who is also chairman of the Kenya Editors’ Guild, said editors had been warned by authorities that they could be shut down if they covered the event.

The stations would stay off air indefinitely, the government said on Wednesday, as it investigates the symbolic oath by Mr. Odinga, directly challenging President Uhuru Kenyatta.

Interior Minister, Fred Matiang‘I, accused media organisations of facilitating the “illegal act”, which he said put the lives of thousands of Kenyans at risk.

“This is a gross abuse of the law and complete disregard for the constitution,” said Mr. Mijungu.

Also on Wednesday, police arrested Tom Kajwang, an opposition lawmaker who administered Mr. Odinga’s “oath”.

He was expected to be charged on Thursday with administering an unlawful oath, a security source told Reuters.

Source: ( NAN, Reuters)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Petrol Subsidy Not Completely Gone, Says Minister

Published

on

Petrol Subsidy Not Completely Gone, Says Minister

Timipre Slyva

Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva has stated that contrary to popular belief, the federal government has not completely removed petrol subsidy.

Speaking on Channels’ Politics Today, the minister said: “We are still trying to manage this bumpy start. We have not been able to get to that 100 percent removal of subsidy from the foreign exchange end.

“If we were to take it out completely and allow people to access foreign exchange from the parallel market and allow people to import the product, the price of the pump will even be more.

Also Read: Petrol Price Will Increase When Oil Goes Up – Sylva

“The Federal Government, knowing the impact it will have on the people, decided that they are still going to manage this situation.”

Speaking on the importation of petrol from Niger, the Minister expressed that the importation of fuel from the Niger Republic is not something Nigerians should be embarrassed about.

He expressed that Nigerians should be proud that the Federal Government is set to resume the importation of petroleum products from its neighbour.

Continue Reading

National News

‘Your Report On Lekki Capable Of Setting Nigeria On Fire’ — Lai Writes CNN

Published

on

JustLai MohammedMinister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has expressed that the CNN report on the Lekki Tollgate shooting of October 20 2020 is capable of setting the country on fire.

Recall that CNN had published an investigative report titled, ‘How a bloody night of bullets and brutality quashed a young protest movement in Nigeria,’ claiming soldiers fired live ammunition directly at protesters at the Lekki toll gate.

But Nigeria’s Minister for Information denied the report of the US-based cable television, calling for a sanction on CNN over the report, adding that the report on the Lekki tollgate incident was highly irresponsible.

Also Read: Lai Mohammed Condemns CNN Investigation On Lekki Shooting

Reacting in another story titled, ‘Nigeria threatens CNN with sanctions but provides no evidence Lekki toll gate investigation is inaccurate’, CNN maintained that it stood by its earlier report on the Lekki tollgate incident.

In a petition dated November 23 and addressed to Mr. Jonathan Hawkins VP, Communications, CNN Centre Atlanta, Georgia U.S, the federal government demanded “an immediate and exhaustive investigation into its report on the Lekki Toll Gate incident to determine its authenticity and conformity to basic standards of journalism.”

Lai Mohammed, who signed the petition, said if the US-based media organisation failed to carry out its demand, the Nigerian government will “take any action within its laws’’ to prevent CNN from aggravating the End SARS crisis.

Continue Reading

National News

Amaechi Apologises For Abuja-Kaduna Train Breakdown

Published

on

Amaechi Apologises For Abuja-Kaduna Train Breakdown

Rotimi Amaechi

Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, has apologised to Nigerians for the breakdown at the Abuja-Kaduna railway which occurred between November 18 and November 20.

The former Governor of Rivers State stated this at the Moniya rail station on Monday while inspecting the ongoing rail project in Ibadan.

Amaechi pointed out that the Chinese have been called to attend to the problem as the federal government does not expect any mechanical fault at this early stage.

Also Read: $656m Needed To Complete Lagos-Ibadan Railway – Amaechi

Ameachi said, “I want to apologise to Nigerians over what happened at the Abuja-Kaduna rail station.”

“We now have new locomotives, and we’ve called the Chinese because we never expected the mechanical fault at this early stage.”

“On behalf of the Federal Government, the ministry and the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), we apologise to Nigerians, and I’ve instructed the NRC to fix it or invite the Chinese.”

Continue Reading

Trending