Connect with us

National News

David Oyelowo awards scholarships to Chibok girls

Published

on

Popular Nigerian-British actor David Oyelowo, says he has granted leadership scholarship to five freed Chibok girls who were abducted by Boko Haram on April 14, 2014.

The Oscar nominated actor, born in England to Nigerian parents, is best known for his portrayal of Martin Luther King in the award winning movie ‘Selma’ in 2014.

Oyelowo announced this via his instagram page @davidoyelowo with a photo of the scholarship recipients where he wrote:

“Proud to present the glorious recipients of the David Oyelowo Leadership Scholarship; they survived terror at the hands of Boko Haram, now the journey toward their true destiny has begun.

Speaking further on the essence of the scholarship, Oyelowo said, “We cannot stand idly by while thousands of innocent girls remain under serious threat.

“With our help, these bright and resilient girls can blossom into Nigeria’s most inspiring leaders in government, education, business, entertainment, and so much more.
David Oyelowo

“That is what these Leadership scholarships are all about. We seek to nurture a generation of strong female trailblazers whose positive impact will be felt across Nigeria and around the world”.

The actor said he made the donation under the auspices of David Oyelowo Leadership Scholarship in conjunction with the GEANCO Foundation which donates critical supplies to schools in Nigeria.

The Hollywood actor’s scholarship scheme is aimed at providing life-changing scholarships to young female victims of terrorism and gender inequality.

Oyelowo plays an active role in selecting its recipients and raising money to ensure its continued success.

The scholarship, which started with preliminary plans in August 2015, has so far been funded by the likes of The Oprah Winfrey Foundation, Participant Media and NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon.

He also played the role of a chess coach in ‘Queen of Katwe’ in 2016, beside his playing supporting roles in the films ‘Rise of the Planet of the Apes’ in 2011.

Oyelowo recently starred as ‘Harold Soyinka’ in soon-to-be-released action comedy film ‘Gringo’.

Source: ( NAN )

 

National News

Petrol Subsidy Not Completely Gone, Says Minister

Published

on

Petrol Subsidy Not Completely Gone, Says Minister

Timipre Slyva

Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva has stated that contrary to popular belief, the federal government has not completely removed petrol subsidy.

Speaking on Channels’ Politics Today, the minister said: “We are still trying to manage this bumpy start. We have not been able to get to that 100 percent removal of subsidy from the foreign exchange end.

“If we were to take it out completely and allow people to access foreign exchange from the parallel market and allow people to import the product, the price of the pump will even be more.

Also Read: Petrol Price Will Increase When Oil Goes Up – Sylva

“The Federal Government, knowing the impact it will have on the people, decided that they are still going to manage this situation.”

Speaking on the importation of petrol from Niger, the Minister expressed that the importation of fuel from the Niger Republic is not something Nigerians should be embarrassed about.

He expressed that Nigerians should be proud that the Federal Government is set to resume the importation of petroleum products from its neighbour.

Continue Reading

National News

‘Your Report On Lekki Capable Of Setting Nigeria On Fire’ — Lai Writes CNN

Published

on

JustLai MohammedMinister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has expressed that the CNN report on the Lekki Tollgate shooting of October 20 2020 is capable of setting the country on fire.

Recall that CNN had published an investigative report titled, ‘How a bloody night of bullets and brutality quashed a young protest movement in Nigeria,’ claiming soldiers fired live ammunition directly at protesters at the Lekki toll gate.

But Nigeria’s Minister for Information denied the report of the US-based cable television, calling for a sanction on CNN over the report, adding that the report on the Lekki tollgate incident was highly irresponsible.

Also Read: Lai Mohammed Condemns CNN Investigation On Lekki Shooting

Reacting in another story titled, ‘Nigeria threatens CNN with sanctions but provides no evidence Lekki toll gate investigation is inaccurate’, CNN maintained that it stood by its earlier report on the Lekki tollgate incident.

In a petition dated November 23 and addressed to Mr. Jonathan Hawkins VP, Communications, CNN Centre Atlanta, Georgia U.S, the federal government demanded “an immediate and exhaustive investigation into its report on the Lekki Toll Gate incident to determine its authenticity and conformity to basic standards of journalism.”

Lai Mohammed, who signed the petition, said if the US-based media organisation failed to carry out its demand, the Nigerian government will “take any action within its laws’’ to prevent CNN from aggravating the End SARS crisis.

Continue Reading

National News

Amaechi Apologises For Abuja-Kaduna Train Breakdown

Published

on

Amaechi Apologises For Abuja-Kaduna Train Breakdown

Rotimi Amaechi

Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, has apologised to Nigerians for the breakdown at the Abuja-Kaduna railway which occurred between November 18 and November 20.

The former Governor of Rivers State stated this at the Moniya rail station on Monday while inspecting the ongoing rail project in Ibadan.

Amaechi pointed out that the Chinese have been called to attend to the problem as the federal government does not expect any mechanical fault at this early stage.

Also Read: $656m Needed To Complete Lagos-Ibadan Railway – Amaechi

Ameachi said, “I want to apologise to Nigerians over what happened at the Abuja-Kaduna rail station.”

“We now have new locomotives, and we’ve called the Chinese because we never expected the mechanical fault at this early stage.”

“On behalf of the Federal Government, the ministry and the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), we apologise to Nigerians, and I’ve instructed the NRC to fix it or invite the Chinese.”

Continue Reading

Trending