Connect with us

National News

90 migrants die in Libya coast

Published

on

At least 90 people were feared dead on Friday in the latest migrant tragedy in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Libya, the UN migration agency said.

“At least 90 migrants are reported to have drowned, when a boat capsized off the coast of Libya this morning”, the International Organization for Migration said in a statement.

READ ALSO: Man cuts off cousin’s manhood in Niger

It added that “10 bodies are reported to have washed up on Libyan shores”, including two Libyan nationals and eight Pakistanis.

Two survivors from the disaster had swum to shore, while another was rescued by a fishing boat, IOM further said.

The agency has repeatedly issued warnings over the extreme dangers facing migrants who try to reach Europe via the so-called central Mediterranean route, which connects Libya to Italy.

Excluding Friday’s tragedy, 218 migrants have already died on the central route in 2018, according to IOM figures.

On the eastern Mediterranean route that connects Turkey and Greece, used by 1,089 so far this year, no fatalities have yet been recorded in 2018.

Twenty-eight migrants have died in 2018 on the western route that links North Africa to Spain, IOM said.

Source : ( AFP )

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

BREAKING: NBC Sanctions AIT, Channels, AriseTV Over Lekki Shooting

Published

on

BREAKING: NBC Sanctions AIT, Channels, AriseTV Over Lekki Shooting
BREAKING: NBC Sanctions AIT, Channels, AriseTV Over Lekki Shooting

National Broadcasting Commission

Three Nigerian television broadcasting media houses have been fined a sum of nine million Naira (N9,000,000) by the National Broadcasting Commission, NBC over the coverage of the nationwide #EndSARS protest against police brutality.

Channels Television, AIT and Arise TV were each awarded an N3m fine over “unprofessional coverage” of the EndSARS protests across the nation.

Also Read: NASS Will Secure Justice For Police Brutality Victims, Ensure Five-Point Demands Are Implemented – Lawan

The declaration was announced during a press conference on Monday, October 26 at the federal capital territory, Abuja, by the acting Director-General of the NBC, Prof. Armstrong Idachaba.

Continue Reading

National News

Shehu Sani Reacts As FG Considers Giving Electricity To Chad

Published

on

Shehu Sani Mocks FG Poverty Alleviation Scheme
Shehu Sani Mocks FG Poverty Alleviation Scheme

Shehu Sani

Former lawmaker, Senator Shehu Sani has described the plan of the Federal Government to export electricity to Chad as absurd.

In a report circulated by PUNCH, it is believed that the federal government is considering supplying electricity to the Republic of Chad following a recent request by the neighboring country.

This follows a statement by the government-owned Transmission Company of Nigeria that a meeting was held last week to discuss the possibilities of connecting the neighboring country.

Also Read: Nigerians Reacts As FG Considers Giving Electricity To Chad

The report has led to widespread condemnation of the government by Nigerians, querying how a country that doesn’t have stable electricity plans to export the little it generates.

Reacting to the report, the former lawmaker wrote:

“The idea of the FG exporting electricity to Chad in the midst of our ‘national darkness’ is absurd.”

Continue Reading

National News

NASS Will Secure Justice For Police Brutality Victims, Ensure Five-Point Demands Are Implemented – Lawan

Published

on

SARS has been disbanded, no need to continue the protest – Senate President, Lawan
NASS Will Secure Justice For Police Brutality Victims, Ensure Five-Point Demands Are Implemented – Lawan

Ahmad Lawan

Senate President, Ahmad Lawan has assured that the National Assembly will get justice for victims of police brutality.

Lawan said the legislature will collaborate with the executive to ensure that rights abuses by personnel of the disbanded Police Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) are probed.

The lawmaker, in a statement on Monday, noted that the government has shown a commitment to implement the five-point demands of the #EndSARS protesters.

“I want to seize this opportunity to re-assure our youths that the National Assembly will collaborate with the Executive to ensure justice for victims of misconduct and rights abuses by personnel of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the Nigeria Police.

“In the same vein, to discourage impunity, we will insist that the perpetrators of the alleged abuses be prosecuted and sanctioned as appropriate.”

Also Read: Lekki Toll Gate Future Proceeds Should Go To Victims Of Police Brutality: Tinubu

He condoled with the victims of the reprehensible violence and criminality witnessed in the last few days in many parts of the country.

“I send my condolences to the families of our security and law enforcement agents who have made the supreme sacrifices in the course of their service to their fatherland.

He, however, condemned the arson, violence, and looting in several parts of the country.

“I also call for a thorough investigation of every criminal act that we have witnessed in the past few weeks with a view to bringing to justice all those elements who have so callously destroyed public and private property”.

Continue Reading

Trending