Yusuf Buhari discharged from hospital after 16 days

President Muhammadu Buhari’s son, Yusuf, has been discharged from hospital after 16 days, he was involved in a motorbike accident in Abuja on December 26, 2017.

The President’s Personal Assistant on New Media, Bashir Ahmad, confirmed the development on Friday via his Twitter handle and Facebook page.

“Yusuf Muhammadu Buhari has been discharged from Cedarcrest Hospitals, Abuja. Read full statement released today by the Hospital. Wish him a complete and speedy recovery,” Ahmad wrote.

The Presidency had earlier in the day issued a statement indicating that Yusuf’s health had improved remarkably and that he was ready to be discharged.

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, said the news of Yusuf’s improved health and imminent discharge was contained in a statement dated January 12, 2018, by the Medical Director of the Hospital, Dr. Felix Ogedegbe.

Adesina also reproduced Ogedegbe’s statement which denied media reports that the President’s wife, Aisha, suffered shock and was treated at the hospital.

He also quoted the report as saying that there was no truth in the report that Yusuf was involved in the accident alongside his friend.

The doctor’s statement as released by the presidential spokesperson read, “ Mr. Yusuf Buhari, son of President Buhari, was admitted into Cedarcrest Hospitals, Abuja in the late hours of December 26, 2017, following injuries sustained as a motorcycle rider. Following initial stabilisation, he was taken into intensive care. He underwent successful emergency surgical operations the following morning carried out by our team of neurosurgeons and orthopaedic surgeons.

“Over the following week, his condition improved remarkably and he was transferred from the intensive care to the ward. He has remained stable ever since and has continued to make remarkable progress. He is now ready to be discharged.

“His extremely speedy response to treatment so far is a testimony to the world-class early care he has received here in Cedarcrest, Abuja. We are grateful to President Buhari and First Lady Aisha Buhari for the confidence in us and for allowing us to look after Yusuf. This show of confidence goes a long way to strengthen our collective belief in our resolve to offer world-class health care locally. We are extremely grateful to our entire hospital team for their dedication and hard work during this period.

“We are also grateful to the Minister of Health, the Minister of State for Health, and the eminent advisory team of specialists assembled by the Minister of Health who supported us in the course of looking after Yusuf. We are grateful to all Nigerians who prayed for Yusuf, his family and his carers. His response to treatment so far is a clear testimony to answered prayers.

“We did note some very misleading reports about this incident making the rounds in some social media outlets. Most of them would not ordinarily need to be responded to. Suffice to say that there was only one person involved in this incident. No one else required treatment for this incident or its aftermath. Yusuf’s friend was not involved in the accident and did not sustain any injuries whatsoever.

“The First Lady was not at any time treated for shock and she was not admitted into Cedarcrest at any time. In addition, Cedarcrest Hospitals has remained open to other inpatients and outpatients and at no time were any patients denied access to the hospital.”

Meanwhile, President Buhari and his family via a statement by Adesina on Friday thanked Nigerians for praying for Yusuf since the time he was admitted to hospital.

Source: ( Punch Newspaper )


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here