Connect with us

National News

Youths boo, stone Ortom as military battle protest

Published

on

Protesting residents booed and stoned Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue state, as government drafted troops to quell the massive protest and to prevent mayhem.

The governor had gone to placate the restive youths at Wurukum where the protest was taking place in Makurdi on Wednesday.

Reports say that soldiers from 72 battalion north bank were currently engaging the protesting youths and some two protesters have been wounded.

Residents early on Wednesday trooped out in their thousands to protest against the January 2, herdsmen’s attack on farmers in which 20 people were killed.

The protesters are calling on the presidency to bring the culprits to book.

The protesters carried placards with inscriptions such as “Presidential Intervention needed”, “Why value cows to Humans”, and “Stop this incessant blood bath”.

Some of them chanted, “We will not vote for the present administration again both the State and Federal level if this crises don’t stop”.

The News Agency of Nigeria( NAN) reports that the protests involved mostly youths who barricaded major roads leading in and out of Makurdi, the state capital.

The youth have vowed not to leave the streets until the presidency spoke on the killings.

They were also asking government to intervene in the series of other attacks on some rural communities by armed herdsmen.

Mr Terhemen Anum, told NAN on Wednesday that residents of Guma and Logo local government areas have yet to determined number of peasant farmers, women, children and the aged inclusive that were killed.

Also Mrs Ruth Agba said the killing of Benue farmers, and destruction to their homes and farms was not different from Boko Haram activities in the northeast.

Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue told journalists on Tuesday that 20 people were killed in the mayhem.

Ortom called on the Federal Government to wade into the matter so as to avert further destruction of lives and property.

Meanwhile, the Police in Benue has confirmed the arrest of eight herdsmen in connection of the New Year Day’s attacks in Guma and Logo Local Governments.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mr. Moses Yamu, said on Wednesday in Makurdi, “eight herdsmen, six in Guma and two in Logo, have been arrested in connection with the attacks”.

He added that the command had made additional deployments to the troubled area to forestall further occurrence and restore confidence of the people.

Yamu stressed the situation in the two local government areas had been brought under control while investigation was on-going.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Zabarmari Killing: Fani-Kayode Condemns Presidency Over Insensitive Statement

Published

on

Zabarmari Killing: Fani-Kayode Condemns Presidency Over Insensitive Statement

Femi Fani-Kayode

Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode has condemned the presidency over its statement that the 43 farmers killed by members of Boko Haram on Saturday in Borno did not have military clearance to be on the farm.

Recall that Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity disclosed on Monday that the farmers slaughtered by Boko Haram terrorists on Saturday didn’t have military clearance to be on the farm.

Also Read: 43 Farmers Killed By Boko Haram Didn’t Have Clearance To Farm — Buhari’s aide

Reacting to the development, the former Minister expressed that the statement was not a good defence for the murder.

He wrote:

Whether it was 43 or 110 farmers that were killed, it’s not a good defence to say they were murdered because they did not get permission to farm. Every Nigerian, whether Northern or Southern, has a right to life &deserves to be protected regardless of their occupation or trade.

Continue Reading

National News

Court Okays Suit Compelling Emefiele To Account For COVID-19 Donations

Published

on

Court Okays Suit Compelling Emefiele To Account For COVID-19 Donations

CBN Governor – Godwin Emefiele

The Federal High Court, Abuja, on Monday, granted a suit, seeking to apply for judicial review and order of mandamus to compel the Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, to provide details of financial donations received by the country in relation to the coronavirus pandemic.

Justice Inyang Ekwo gave the ruling in a suit filed by Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) and Heda Resource Centre as 1st and 2nd applicants respectively.

Mandamus is a judicial writ issued as a command to an inferior court or ordering a person to perform a public or statutory duty.

Also Read: Nigeria’s Economy May Emerge From Recession In 2021 Q1, Says Emefiele

According to reports, the group, in an ex-parte motion marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/1456/2020, listed the CBN governor as sole respondent.

Ekwo also granted their plea to seek an order declaring that the failure of the CBN to provide the plaintiff with information on the sources of the donations, how they are being applied, among others, amounted to a violation of the applicant’s rights under the Freedom of Information Act and the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights.

He ordered the applicant to file, within seven days, a formal application for the orders sought, which must be served on the respondent within seven days.

The judge also ordered the respondent to, upon being served, file its response within 30 days.

Continue Reading

National News

Lawan Leads FG’s Delegation On Condolence Visit To Borno

Published

on

Lawan Leads FG’s Delegation On Condolence Visit To Borno

Ahmad Lawan

Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, on Monday, led a federal government delegation to Borno State on a condolence visit following the killing of farmers on Saturday by members of the Boko Haram sect.

Members of the delegation include the Chief of Staff to the President, Professor Ibrahim Gambari, Ministers of the Federal Capital Territory, Mohammed Bello, Communications and Digital Economy, Ali Pantami, and the Minister of State for Agriculture, Mustapha Baba Shehuri.

Also Read: Boko Haram: ‘Be Hurt In Your Pursuit Of Justice For The Dead’, Ezekwesili Tells Buhari

Other members are the National Security Adviser, Major General Babagana Monguno (rtd), and Senior Special Assistant( Media and Publicity) to the President, Mallam Garba Shehu.

The delegation was reportedly received on arrival at the Airport by the Borno State Deputy Governor, Usman Umar Gadafu.

The delegation is in Borno, on behalf of President Muhammadu Buhari and the Federal Government, to commiserate and identify with the family of the victims, the Government, and the people of Borno State over the incident.

 

Continue Reading

Trending