Connect with us

National News

We are up to the task; Presidency replies Obasanjo

Published

on

The Federal Government on Wednesday responded to claims that the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari had been a failure.

The latest attack on President Buhari’s administration was by a former president of Nigeria, Olusegun Obasanjo, on Tuesday he called for Buhari to step down as he had a poor grasp of economics, foreign affairs and Nigeria’s complex internal politics.

The 75-year-old Buhari “needed a deserved rest”, his 80-year-old former military colleague suggested, and asking Nigerians to return him for four more years was “unrealistic”.

 

Obasanjo retains an influential role in Nigeria’s patronage politics and his criticisms have been seen as a possible way of bringing in contenders to challenge Buhari.

Information Minister Lai Mohammed dismissed the former leader’s criticisms, saying the administration had scored successes fighting corruption and the Boko Haram jihadist insurgency.

On the economy, too, he said the government was making “steady progress” and that “Nigerians will definitely get a new lease of life a short while from now”.

“This administration is not unaware of the enormity of the challenges facing the nation but we are up to the task,” Mohammed said in an emailed statement.

“We have taken the bull by the horns and long-suffering Nigerians will begin to experience a new lease of life as our efforts yield fruits.

“We will not go into a state of funk for whatever reason.”

Buhari, who like Obasanjo headed a military government before being elected civilian president, spent much of last year being treated for an undisclosed illness in London.

He has made few public appearances since his return in August, prompting speculation about whether he is strong enough to endure the rigours of an election campaign.

There have been indications, too, that his wife, Aisha, will not back a second, four-year term of office. She has criticised the so-called “cabal” of advisers around Buhari.

His close ally Mohammed said the issue of whether Buhari will stand again was “a distraction for the president at this time”.

“This is because Mr President spends every waking hour tackling the enormous challenges facing the nation, most of which were bequeathed to his administration by successive past administrations,” he added.

“He is committed to fulfilling the mandate given to him by Nigerians in 2015. And that’s where we are right now.”

Source: ( AFP )

National News

#EndSARS: Ogun Judicial Panel Receives 20 Petitions In Two Weeks

Published

on

#EndSARS: Ogun Judicial Panel Receives 20 Petitions In Two Weeks
#EndSARS: Ogun Judicial Panel Receives 20 Petitions In Two Weeks

Ogun State

The Ogun State judicial panel to investigate cases of police brutality in the state has reportedly received 20 petitions in two weeks since inauguration.

This was made known by the Chairman of the Panel, Justice Solomon Olugbemi (retired) on Friday in Abeokuta.

Also Read: Lagos Govt Relaxes Curfew From 10pm To 6am

According to a statement issued by the panel’s spokesman, Femi Osipitan, Justice Olugbemi assured the people of the state of transparency and openness by the panel.

He also stated that the panel’s maiden sitting would hold on November 5, adding that subsequent sessions would be Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays by 10 am at the Magistrate Court 1, Isabo, Abeokuta.

 

Continue Reading

National News

Taraba Govt Sets Up Task Force To Recover Looted Items

Published

on

Darius Ishaku
Taraba Govt Sets Up Task Force To Recover Looted Items

Darius Ishaku

Taraba State Government has announced that it has set up a task force to recover looted items as well as assess the level of damage done to private and government facilities in four local government areas of the state.

The deputy governor, Haruna Manu, inaugurated the 11-man committee on Friday in Jalingo.

Also Read: Lagos Govt Relaxes Curfew From 10pm To 6am

The Deputy Governor stated that the task force is being constituted to right the wrongs of the rampaging youths during the lootings carried out between October 24 and 27.

The Deputy Governor also charged the task force to identify persons who aided and abated the lootings.

Continue Reading

National News

Lagos Govt Relaxes Curfew From 10pm To 6am

Published

on

Lagos Govt Relaxes Curfew From 10pm To 6am
BREAKING: Curfew Now 10pm To 6am In Lagos -Govt

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

The Lagos State Government has announced a further relaxation of the curfew imposed after the hijack of the peaceful #EndSARS protests.

Lagos State information commissioner Gbenga Omotosho announced the new decision on Friday.

He said the curfew will now be from 10:00 pm till 6:00 am.

Also Read: Wike Ordered Police, Army To Kill IPOB Members, Nnamdi Kanu Alleges

“Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu praises Lagosians for observing the curfew, which is expected to restore normalcy in our communities,” Omotosho said.

The statement read, “The Lagos State Government has announced a further relaxation of the curfew imposed after the breakdown of law and order, following the hijack of the peaceful #EndSARS protests.

“The curfew will now be from 10 pm till 6 am.

Continue Reading

Trending