Connect with us

National News

Tax authorities begin the investigation of Messi’s account

Published

on

Lionel Messi’s problems with the Spanish tax authorities are far from being over as the accounts of his foundation come under scrutiny.

The tax authorities are investigating whether payments from FC Barcelona to Lionel Messi’s foundation were used to help the player evade taxes, Spanish daily El Mundo reported on Saturday.

The newspaper, which has acquired Football Leaks documents, reported that the club gave the foundation “at least 12.7 million euros ($15.5 million) between 2010 and 2016”.

The paper said that the payments from Barca represented 71.5 percent of the foundation’s revenue between 2013 and 2016.

The foundation says on its website that it “was created in 2007 with the wish that all children should have the same opportunities to make their dreams come true, and to promote equality in education and health.”

Between 2010 and the official registration of the foundation in June 2013, the club reduced the corporate tax they paid on the money by 35 percent, in line with rules on donations to charities.

Those payments raised the suspicions of the authorities which, in January 2016, began to investigate whether the money had been “remunerative” and evaded corporate and income tax. In April 2016, tax investigators visited the Barcelona offices — not for the first time in recent years.

After the official scrutiny began, the club stopped making the deductions from their donations and started withholding 45 per cent for taxes suggesting, the newspaper said, that the payments “were considered part of the salary” of the Argentine star.

El Mundo said that the club had urged Messi, already being investigated for a 4.1 million-euro tax fraud relating to his image rights, to “regularise the donations to his foundation”. In the image rights case, Messi and his father, Jorge, were found guilty in 2016.

El Mundo said that, by law, 70 percent of a charity’s revenue should be spent on the aims for which it was created but a report in another Spanish newspaper, ABC, found the foundation’s accounts were full of gaps but included large sums spent on external consultants, rent and refurbishing its offices or transferred to its branch in Argentina.

According to documents examined by El Mundo, a tax settlement was paid to the Spanish treasury, in theory by Messi but ultimately by Barca, which made up the amount in a complex transaction days before the player signed a new contract last November.

That contract, which runs until 2021, will pay Messi more than 100 million euros a year including salary and image rights according to information published on Friday by the European Investigation Collaborations, which includes El Mundo.

Source: (Punch Newspaper)

National News

Buhari Approves Emaimo’s Re-Appointment

Published

on

Nigerians Reacts As FG Considers Giving Electricity To Chad
Buhari Approves Emaimo’s Re-Appointment

Muhammadu Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the reappointment of Dr. John Emaimo, as Rector, Federal College of Dental Technology and Therapy, Enugu State.

The appointment was made known in a letter signed by the Minister of State for Health, Olorunnimbe Mamora on behalf of President Buhari.

Dr. Emaimo’s re-appointment takes effect from Nov. 27, 2020.

Also Read: Nigeria’s Economy Too Fragile For Fresh Lockdown —Buhari

Speaking on the re-appointment, Mamora stated that Emaimo was found eligible for a second term based on his assessment.

The minister urged Emaimo to continue to work with his team because whatever achievements he had made in his first term could not have been done alone.

He reminded him of the enormous responsibilities of his office and the expectations of the government and people towards efficient service delivery.

Continue Reading

National News

WTO: Launch Diplomatic Offensive Against Trump, Obiano Tells Buhari

Published

on

Governor Willie Obiano
WTO: Launch Diplomatic Offensive Against Trump, Obiano Tells Buhari

Governor Willie Obiano

Governor of Anambra State, Willie Obiano has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to deploy all diplomatic moves to ensure Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala emerge as the next Director-General of the World Trade Organisation.

Obiano urged President Buhari not to allow US President Donald Trump to frustrate Okonjo-Iweala’s emergence.

Obiano said this in a statement titled, ‘WTO DG: A Call on President Buhari and African leaders to step up diplomatic offensive’, signed by the state Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, C-Don Adinuba, in Awka, on Thursday.

Also Read: WTO: Gov Ikpeazu Drums Support For Okonjo-Iweala’s Appointment

He asked Buhari to mobilise African and European Union leaders to back Okonjo-Iweala.

“All that is needed is a great diplomatic offensive before the formal announcement of the winner on November 9,” he said.

“The people and government of Anambra State, therefore, call upon President Muhammadu Buhari and other African leaders to immediately set in motion the machinery to get the United States to do the right thing by supporting the most qualified and the most popular candidate,” p[art of the statement read.

Continue Reading

National News

BREAKING: Lagos Panel Of Enquiry Visits Lekki Toll Gate

Published

on

CCTV At Lekki Toll Gate Was Not Removed -Lekki Concession Company Says
BREAKING: Lagos Panel Of Enquiry Visits Lekki Toll Gate

Lekki Toll Gate

As the hearing of cases of police brutality in the State continues, the Lagos State judicial panel of inquiry is currently at the Lekki Tollgate.

The panel’s visit is believed to be aimed at understanding the Lekki Toll Gate shooting that left some protesters dead and injured on Tuesday, October 20, 2020.

The panel is reportedly led by the Chairman, Retired Justice Doris Okuwobi.

Also Read: Fani-Kayode Slams Fashola Over Discovery Of Hidden Camera At Lekki Toll Gate

According to reports, the panel is interrogating Lekki Tollgate officials about the condition of their cameras and other equipment.

The Managing Director of Lekki Concession Company, Mr. Yomi Omomuwansa reportedly took the panel round the facilities.

Mr. Omomuuwansa stated that most of their equipment were damaged as they were set ablaze by hoodlums following the shooting of EndSARS protesters at the toll gate.

Also with the panel during the inspection of Lekki Tollgate is Rinu Odulala and Temitope Majekodunmi, the youth representatives on the judicial panel.

 

Continue Reading

Trending