Members of the Cross River Branch of the Nigeria Medical Association, NMA, have threatened indefinite withdraw of their services to members of the public from January 8.
This followed the kidnap and non-release of one its members, Usang Ekanem, who was abducted on December 26, 2017 by gunmen.
Effiong Mkpanam, the state Chairman of NMA, told journalists after an emergency meeting on Friday in Calabar that members of the association had suffered series of abduction from kidnappers.
Mr. Mkpanam, who expressed dissatisfaction with the trend, said that the attacks were frequently perpetrated on their colleagues while discharging their legitimate duties of saving lives.
He said that Mr. Ekanem, a former chairman of NMA in the state, was kidnapped on December 26, 2017 by some unidentified men. He added that the state government and security agencies were not doing enough to rescue their colleague.
“As we address you today, it is with grief that we make public the fact that a very Senior Medical Practitioner and one time Chairman of NMA has been in the kidnappers den for ten days and counting.
“As doctors, we swore an oath to save lives of members of the public who are in need of our skills.
“We have observed with dismay a dangerous trend in which the security and lives of the same doctor is being threatened by some disgruntled members of the society.
“The NMA in Cross River hereby instructs all its members, both in public and private medical facilities, University of Calabar Teaching Hospital, Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital, Institutional Hospitals, General Hospitals, Mission Hospitals and others to withdraw their services.
“They are to observe a total and indefinite withdrawal of services to members of the public until such a time that our colleague is safely released by his captors and measures taken to forestall future occurrences.
“It is noteworthy that in 2017, within Calabar alone, five doctors and three of their dependants and family members were kidnapped at various locations,” he said.
The NMA chairman called on Governor Ben Ayade and all the relevant security agencies to urgently intervene in the matter.
He further said that the kidnappers had earlier established contact with the family of the victim where they demanded for a ransom of N100 million and later reduced it to N20million.
“How much is the salary of a doctor monthly that he should pay such a ransom? From what we heard from the family; the victim was with his ATM cards when he was kidnapped and all the money in his account has been withdrawn.
“For the avoidance of doubt, the NMA in Cross River will withdraw clinical services without any notice, any time a doctor is kidnapped in future.
“We cannot continue to save the lives of others while ours is not secured’’, he said.
“The NMA regrets any inconveniences this action may cause members of the public and wish to advice law abiding members of the public to seek medical services in neighbouring states of the federation.
Source : (NAN)
BREAKING: Okonjo-Iweala Elected WTO DG
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Nigeria’s nominee for the office of the director-general of the World Trade Organisation, has emerged winner of the highly competitive race.
Information Nigeria gathered that Okonjo-Iweala was chosen as the final candidate for the much-coveted role. She polled 104 votes from 164 member countries to defeat how South Korea’s trade minister at the final stage of the race.
She has broken many records, including becoming the first African to occupy win that office at the WTO.
The official announcement is expected to be made by the WTO at 3pm Nigerian time.
Fayemi Orders Resumption Of All Workers In Ekiti
Ekiti State Governor, Kayode Fayemi has instructed all workers in the state civil service that have been away from their duty post due to the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions to resume back to work.
The Governor issued the directive in a statement on Wednesday by the Head of the State Civil Service, Mrs. Peju Babafemi.
Workers on grade levels 02–07 in the state workforce have been away from office since March 23, 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
However, they have now been directed to resume duties from Monday, November 2, 2020, and ensure full compliance with COVID-19 protocols and safety measures.
Lekki Shooting: ‘Sanwo-Olu Has Been Thrown Under The Bus By Military’ – Fani-Kayode
Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode has reacted to the Nigerian Army’s statement that the Lagos State Government invited the army to enforce a curfew on Tuesday the 20th of October in the State.
Recall that on Tuesday, the 81 Divison of the Nigerian army stated that it was invited to enforce the curfew in Lagos by the state government, although it denied shooting at #EndSARS protesters in Lekki, Lagos.
This came a day after Governor of Lagos, Babajide Sanwo-Olu stated that the army shot at protesters in Lagos.
Reacting to the statement from the army, the former minister wrote:
“The @HQNigerianArmy claim it was the LASG that asked for soldiers to be deployed at Lekki. The implications of this for
@jidesanwoolu are grave. He has been thrown under the bus by the military.”
— Femi Fani-Kayode (@realFFK) October 27, 2020
- Entertainment24 hours ago
“I Don’t Think You’d Ever Lose Me, My Feelings For You Won’t Change” – Neo Promises Vee (Video)
- Entertainment23 hours ago
Ciara Appreciates Husband, Russell Wilson For His Sweet Words On Her Birthday
- Entertainment24 hours ago
Gbenro Ajibade Wishes Ex-Wife, Osas Ighodaro A Happy Birthday
- Entertainment23 hours ago
Tiwa Savage To Release New Song, ‘Ole’
- National News6 hours ago
#EndSARS: Lagos Govt Invited Us To Restore Order – Army
- Entertainment20 hours ago
‘This Made Me Smile’ – Davido Reacts To Video Of A Baby Enjoying ‘Fem’
- News Feed21 hours ago
Lekki Shooting: Nigerian Lawyer drags Buhari, Buratai to court
- Entertainment21 hours ago
‘The Bible Has Every Scenario You Can Think Of’ – Actress Jemima Osunde