Connect with us

Uncategorized

Residents flee Adamawa, after death of four police officers

Published

on

Four operatives of the Police have been confirmed dead by the Adamawa State Police Command, after they were involved in a clash with gunmen in Numan Local Government Area.

According to the spokesperson for the police command, Othman Abubakar, who confirmed the incident to journalists on Friday in Yola, the state capital, said that contrary to widespread belief, those killed were not of the Mobile Police unit but officers from Numan Divisional Headquarters, who were on routine patrol.

Abubakar said, “We don’t want to work on speculations and I want to urge the public and media to shun rumours and speculations that would further raise tension in Numan and its environs.”

He, however, confirmed that speculation of reprisals had resulted in many residents of Numan fleeing their homes for Yola and other supposedly safe parts of the state.

A shop owner, Hanatu Pwavi, who was seen leaving the city, told Saturday PUNCH that rising tensions and looming threats of reprisals by armed Fulani men had forced many of them to abandon their homes.

Recent attacks in four Numan communities of Shafaron, Kikon, Bolon and Kodomti in Adamawa State, which claimed the lives of 55 Fulani herdsmen had attracted strong condemnation from the Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’ad Abubakar III, who, through the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, said the killing of Fulani would not go unpunished.

The Sultan’s statement was made shortly after the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, visited the Adamawa State Governor, Mohammed Jibrilla, and also met with the paramount ruler of the area, Col. Honest Irmiya (retd.).

While in Numan, Idris ordered the reinforcement of security to put a stop to the killings in the affected communities by sending in five units of mobile policemen and three Armoured Personnel Carriers.

However, the Brigade Commander, 23rd Armoured Brigade, Brigadier General Bello Muhammadu, who also confirmed the killing of the four policemen, said that they were killed by armed Fulani herdsmen that ambushed them.

He said, “When my men got there, they evacuated the bodies of the policemen. Even the trucks conveying soldiers were shot at by the herdsmen. We had to use rocket-propelled grenade before they ran away.

“What surprised me is the absence of women and children in the village; it was obvious that the communities had been evacuated preparatory to the action. There was no casualty on the side of civilians or the military. We saw about 16 persons who were armed with AK 47.”

Meanwhile, the Catholic Bishop of Yola Diocese and Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria in Adamawa State, Most Revd. Stephen Mamza, has blamed the rising tension in the state on comments made by the Sultan of Sokoto.

According to him, “The comment of the Sultan of Sokoto has actually increased tensions in Adamawa State. A highly placed religious leader like him is not expected to make such a misguided statement because this is not the first time we are experiencing killings.

“As a religious and spiritual leader, what I expected of him was to condemn all forms of killing and not to isolate this incident because Fulani were the victims. He is not the leader of the Fulani alone; he’s the leader of all Muslims.”

However, Chairman of Muslim Council, Adamawa State chapter, Sahabo Magaji, while speaking on the attack and tensions in the area, described the killing of Fulani as “ethnic cleansing carried out by Bachama militia”.

He said there was nothing wrong with comments made by the Sultan on the issue as it was aimed at pushing the authorities to apprehend perpetrators of the attack.

Magaji said, “He (Sultan) knows what is happening throughout the country, not just in Adamawa State. He must have had his reasons for saying that but I believe he said that for those concerned to sit up and do what is right.”

Source: ( Punch Newspaper )

Uncategorized

Lagos Policemen Brutalise PUNCH Journalists For Covering #EndSARS Protest

Published

on

Lagos Policemen Brutalise PUNCH Journalists For Covering #EndSARS Protest

Two PUNCH journalists, Femi Dawodu and Segun Odunayo, were on Wednesday brutalised by policemen guarding the Lagos State House of Assembly in Ikeja.

The duo had gone to cover events around the Alausa area, a major demonstration ground of the #EndSARS protesters calling for a total overhaul of the Nigeria Police Force.

According to the PUNCH, both Odunayo and Dawodu were recording a live video of activities in the area when the policemen accosted them and ordered them to stop the recording.

After showing the policemen their identity cards, indicating that they are journalists covering #EndSARS protests and monitoring compliance with the government-imposed curfew, the policemen became annoyed and pounced on them.

Odunayo said the policemen tortured them for four hours, adding that they stripped them of their clothes, laid them on the floor, beat them with a stick and guns, and took a video recording of them while torturing them at the Lagos State House of Assembly.

Odunayo said, “Femi and I were at the Secretariat in Alausa around 7 am and were doing a live video of the activities going on in the area. We were heading back to the expressway when a group of armed policemen accosted us at the Lagos State House of Assembly roundabout and immediately collected our phones. We showed them our ID cards, but they refused to let us go.

“What got the policemen annoyed was that we saw them using a stick and a rubber to beat a young man, and during the live video, they heard me saying that they were beating someone. So, after they arrested us, they tortured us and demanded that we should do another live video denying the statement, but we refused.

“Each Time we refused, they slapped us, used a stick to beat us, used the butt of their guns to hit our heads and bodies after stripping us of our clothes. All they wanted was for us to do another live broadcast to claim that we lied and we didn’t because we told the truth.”

Dawodu said it took the intervention of the state Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi before they were released at the Alausa Police Station, adding that before their release, the policemen took their details, including their addresses, took a video record of them and threatened to go after them if any negative report was published about what happened.

He said, “The policemen were transferring the aggression of what is happening regarding the #EndSARS protest on us. They later took us to the Divisional Police Station in Alausa, and if not for the DPO, the policemen guarding the LSHA that arrested us would have done more grievous things to us.

“The PPRO and the DPO later spoke with them, and we were released.

“But despite his intervention, we were told to write statements. They collected our details, address, took video recordings of us making false statements during the torture, and threatened to use it to blackmail and go after us if we end up doing any bad report against them.”

Sahara Reporters

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

CCTV At Lekki Toll Gate Was Not Removed -Lekki Concession Company Says

Published

on

CCTV At Lekki Toll Gate Was Not Removed -Lekki Concession Company Says

Lekki Concession Company in their press release has debunked the rumour that the Lekki Toll Gate CCTV camera was not removed.

Lekki, Ikoyi tolls will rise on February 1 – LCC - Ivory NG

According to the press release by the company which condemns the unlawful killings of the peaceful protesters said no one gave the order for the removal of the Closed Circuit Television System as the CCTV is still intact as of the time of this report.

Speaking further, the concession company revealed that if the CCTV was to be removed, it would require the use of machinery to reach the heights that they have been installed.

Read the release report below;

Image

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Government official has a hand in the present situation of the country – Babangida

Published

on

Government official has a hand in the present situation of the country – Babangida

Former Military president of Nigeria, Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida has disclosed that the government has a hand in the mayhem going on in the country.

The 79-year-old made this remark owing to the massacre in Lekki toll gate and other parts of the country. He quoted Gen. Sani Abacha and disclosed that any insurgency that exceeds 24hours is being manipulated by the government.

Taking to his Twitter page he wrote;

“Once again, I will like to quote Late Gen. Sani Abacha: “Any Insurgency that lasts more than 24 hours, a government official has a hand in it.”

Continue Reading

Trending