Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress in Osun State, Mr. Tunde Adekomi, on Wednesday, led civil servants in the state, to protest the plan by Governor Rauf Aregbesola to pay them half salaries.
The protesters, who shut down the State Secretariat at Abere, wondered why the state government could not pay the workers their full pay after collecting N6.3bn being the third tranche of the Paris Club loan refund from the Federal Government.
Labour leaders had last Friday announced that they would begin an indefinite strike immediately after the Christmas break to protest payment of modulated salary, lack of promotion and the non-remittance of their contributory pension deductions to the workers’ pension accounts.
The NLC chairman, the chairman of the Nigeria Union of Teachers, Mr. Amudah Wakeel and other labour leaders stormed the secretariat gate as early as 7am on Wednesday to ensure compliance to the directive from the labour leaders.
Some of the labour leaders were seen displaying placards with inscriptions rejecting half salary and no promotion in the state civil service.
They claimed that they had been subjected to serious hardship since the regime of half salary started in 2015.
The NUT chairman, who spoke to our correspondent, said workers from grade level 01 to 07 who were collecting full salary joined the strike because the action was not based on the issue of half salary alone.
He expressed satisfaction with the level of compliance to the strike directive which he described as a total action.
Wakeel said, “We are on strike in Osun. We are here at the State Government Secretariat, Abere, to ensure a total compliance to the strike directive.
“As you can see, no worker came to resume work today because they are our members and the labour directed that they should stay at home.
“The labour is indivisible, that is why those who are collecting full salaries also complied. The strike is not even about half salary alone. The issue of promotion is there, pension is there, and are you saying those from level 1 to 7 will not retire in the future?
“The compliance is total and we are happy about it. Nobody can divide us. The labour is one indivisible family whether you are on level one, 13 or any level.”
The Osun State Joint Public Service Negotiating Councils later issued a statement signed by the NLC chairman, Mr. Tunde Adekomi; the Chairman, SJPSNC, Bayo Adejumo and the Chairman of the Trade Union Congress, Bowale Adekola, among other union leaders.
The statement read, “Sequel to the commencement of the industrial action declared by labour with effect from Wednesday 27, December 2017, all workers are enjoined to comply with the directive not minding the empty threat from the government to divide workers.
“The reason for the declaration of the strike is not limited to salary issue alone but includes issues of promotion, advancement, confirmation, annual increment, contributory pension scheme and gratuity, which cut across all categories of workers in the state.
“In view of the above, all workers should stay at home until further directives from the labour movement in the state.”
The workers had during their last meeting with Aregbesola insisted that the state had the financial ability to pay them full salaries.
They said most of them had been collecting half salaries since September 2015 and the governor still did not want to change this even after collecting N6.3bn as the third tranche of the Paris Club loan refund.
Meanwhile, the Osun State Commissioner for Information, Mr. Adelani Baderinwa, has said in a statement that the state government is confident that the strike will not last beyond today (Wednesday) because stakeholders are discussing with the workers on the strike issue.
The statement partly read, “Men of noble character, citizens of the state are getting involved and are engaging the labour too, trying to make them see reasons why the industrial dispute should be resolved in the interest of the state and the people in general.
“The Governor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, has always been very clear about his tendencies on the welfare of the workers, and this he has been doing since he came on board in 2010. What the workers did not ask, the governor had given them when the going was good; when government had resources.
“Unfortunately, some vandals who found themselves at the helm of affairs in the Federal Government ran the country into economic recession. And therefore, things became difficult financially for the Osun State Government, and that is the reason why quite a number of ingenious things had to be done, including putting modulated salary in place so that workers and pensioners would go home with something at the end of the month.”
Source: ( Punch Newspaper )
Court Revokes Faisal Maina’s Bail For Failure To Attend Trial
The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Tuesday ordered the arrested of Faisal Maina, the son of Abdulrasheed Maina, for jumping bail in his trial on money laundering charges.
Justice Okon Abang who revoked Faisal’s bail ordered that his trial would continue in absentia pending when the security agencies would be able to arrest and produce him in court.
The judge also asked his surety, a member of the House of Representatives, Sani Umar Dangaladima, representing the Kaura-Namoda Federal Constituency of Zamfara State, to appear before the court to show cause why he should not forfeit the N60m bail bond which he signed for Faisal.
At Failsal’s money-laundering trial resumption on Tuesday, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission’s prosecution counsel, Mohammed Abubakar, told the court that Maina’s son and Hon. Dangaladima both failed to appear in court since June 24, 2020.
Abubakar, therefore, applied the revocation of his bail and his arrest citing section 184 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act.
The prosecution also applied for the court to order his trial in absentia as provided by 352(4) of ACJA.
Insecurity: I Don’t See Things Returning To Normal In Northern Nigeria – Omokri
Former presidential aide, Reno Omokri has expressed that he is pessimistic about life returning to normal in Northern Nigeria after the Coronavirus pandemic with the increasing insecurity in the nation.
In the past few days, there have been various reports of kidnapping, killing, and attacks by bandits on citizens in the Northern region of the country.
Reacting to the situation, Omokri pointed out that due to the insecurity in the region, he foresees marriages, burials, ceremonies, and even trade being conducted virtually.
“Even after #COVID19, I don’t see things returning to normal in Northern Nigeria. Insecurity is overwhelming. I foresee marriages, burials, ceremonies, and even trade being conducted over zoom. Nobody in Northern Nigeria can safely travel. Absolutely NOBODY.”
Even after #COVID19, I dont see things returning to normal in Northern Nigeria. Insecurity is overwhelming. I foresee marriages, burials, ceremonies, and even trade being conducted over zoom. Nobody in Northern Nigeria can safely travel. Absolutely NOBODY#LekkiMassacre #EndSARS
— Reno Omokri (@renoomokri) November 24, 2020
Former Lawmaker, Shehu Sani Defends Gowon Over Allegations Of Looting CBN
Former lawmaker, Senator Shehu Sani has come out to defend former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon (Rtd) who was recently accused of looting half of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) during his reign.
Sani in a statement via his Twitter account on Tuesday where he defended the former leader, pointed out that Gowon left office without any evidence of wealth.
He added that the claim against Gowon by a member of the UK Parliament is totally false.
“General Yakubu Gowon; The claim of ‘looting the CBN’ made by the British Minister for Africa as represented by Mr James Duddridge against Gen Gowon is nothing but outright falsehood. Gowon exited power without any evidence of wealth & that remains, for over four decades after power.”
General Yakubu Gowon;The claim of ‘looting the CBN’ made by the British Minister for Africa as represented by Mr James Duddridge against Gen Gowon is nothing but outright falsehood.Gowon exited power without any evidence of wealth & that remains,for over four decades after power.
— Senator Shehu Sani (@ShehuSani) November 24, 2020
- Entertainment24 hours ago
Davido Celebrates Late Mom On Her Posthumous Birthday
- Entertainment24 hours ago
“Your Obsession With 2Face Will Be Your Death” – 2Face’s Brother Slams Blackface
- National News22 hours ago
2020 Finance Bill Exempts Minimum Wage Earners From Tax: Buhari
- Entertainment7 hours ago
‘You Are A Disgrace’ – Actress Adesua Etomi Knocks Lauretta Onochie Over Her Tweet
- News Feed22 hours ago
“Marriage requirement is very high in Igboland” – Lady says her brother spent less than N50K on traditional marriage items to marry his wife from Benue
- National News24 hours ago
Court Remands Nigerian Senator, Ali Ndume, In Prison
- News Feed22 hours ago
Man narrates horrible experience with a slay queen in Abuja restaurant
- News Feed22 hours ago
Dr Anu Adepoju Of Med Contour Reportedly Suspended From Medical Practice