Connect with us

National News

Goodluck Jonathan to be served Subpoena to witness in Olisa Metuh’s fraud case

Published

on

Justice Okon Abang of the, Federal High Court in Abuja said on Monday that he had the power to set aside the subpoena inviting former President Goodluck Jonathan to testify on behalf of a former National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, Olisa Metuh, if it continued to constitute delay in the trial of the ex-spokesperson for the PDP.

The judge, ruling on the submission by Metuh’s lawyer, Mr. Emeka Etiaba (SAN), said the claim that the defence would determine their next line of defence only after Jonathan testified in the case, was unknown to the law.

The judge said, “The submission of first defendant’s counsel, Emeka Etiaba (SAN), that the evidence of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan in court will determine whether the first defendant (Metuh) will be called to testify is unknown to law. I so hold. The submission, in my respectful view, was not made in good faith. I so hold. This submission is in contravention of the Practice Direction of this court.

“Whether a party will call a witness or not, that cannot be predicated on the evidence of a witness yet to be called.

“Criminal trial is not a game of hide-and-seek. Criminal trial is not a battle where the contending parties will apply tricks to undo one another.

“It is not a game where a party will take the other by surprise. Therefore, I take it that the first defendant still has somebody to call as a witness other than Dr. Goodluck Jonathan to testify or testify in person. That is what I deduced from the submission.

“Therefore, in the overall interest of justice, and I hope that the first defendant will take advantage of this, though the court cannot compel him to give evidence in the matter, give the bailiff time to make an attempt to serve the subpoenaed witness by personal service and this will be for the last time. Therefore, this matter is adjourned till December 5 and 6, 2017, as previously stated to enable the first defendant to call any other witness other than the subpoenaed witness or testify in person. God willing on December 6, 2017, this matter will be adjourned to enable the bailiff, being the agent of the defendant, to make another attempt to personally serve the subpoenaed witness. I so hold.”

Following an application by Metuh, the judge had since October 3, 2017 signed the subpoena summoning Jonathan to appear as a defence witness in the case.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission alleged in some of the seven counts preferred against Metuh and his company, Destra Investments Limited, that the ex-PDP spokesperson fraudulently received the sum of N400m from the Office of the National Security Adviser without any justification and spent the funds on the party and personal affairs.

The EFCC’s lawyer, Mr. Sylvanus Tahir, on Monday urged the court to set aside the witness summons issued on Jonathan and order Metuh, who had earlier called eight defence witness, to call his other proposed witnesses.

But both Metuh’s lawyer, Mr. Emeka Etiaba (SAN), and counsel for Destra Investments Limited, Tochukwu Onwugbufor (SAN), urged the court to dismiss Tahir’s application.

They also maintained that they would only determine if Metuh would personally testify after Jonathan’s oral evidence in court.

They also argued that the court lacked the power to set aside the subpoena.

But ruling on Monday, Justice Abang held that the court was empowered to set aside the subpoena as it was being used by the defence to cause a delay in the trial.

The matter continues on Tuesday (today).

National News

Akeredolu: There’s A Serious Security Crisis In Ondo

Published

on

Akeredolu: There’s A Serious Security Crisis In Ondo

Governor Akeredolu

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State has expressed that there is a serious security crisis in Ondo State.

He made this remark while lamenting the murder of a monarch in the state, Olufon of Ifon in Ose local government, Oba Isreal Adeusi, who was killed by suspected kidnappers.

In a statement issued by the Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Donald Ojogo, Akeredolu described the incident as a sad one for the State.

Also Read: Unknown Gunmen Kill Ondo Traditional Ruler, Olufon Of Ifon

The governor described the act as a heinous crime that is too heavy and unbearable.

He said he has directed security agencies, especially the Nigeria Police, to fish out the perpetrators of the crime.

Akeredolu also vowed to do all he can to unravel those behind the act and make them face the full wrath of the law.

He advised that caution should be exercised from making public reference in statements or utterances in respect of the “great loss.”

 

Continue Reading

National News

Nigeria’s Economy May Emerge From Recession In 2021 Q1, Says Emefiele

Published

on

 Nigeria’s Economy May Emerge From Recession In 2021 Q1, Says Emefiele

CBN Governor – Godwin Emefiele

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has predicted that the nation’s economy may emerge from recession in the first quarter of 2021.

Recall that some days ago, Nigeria entered into recession for the second time since 2016.

CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele, made the prediction on Friday during the 55th annual Bankers Dinner which held in Lagos.

He expressed that the expected economic growth was two per cent.

Also Read: Nigeria Will Exit Recession By First Quarter Of 2021 – Finance Minister

Emefiele said, “With the sustained implementation of our intervention measures, we do expect that the Nigerian economy could emerge from the recession by the first quarter of 2021.”

“We also expect that growth in 2021 would attain 2.0 per cent. However, downside risks remain, as restoration of full economic activities, particularly in service-related sectors, remains uncertain until a COVID vaccine is produced and made available to millions of people across the world.

“Second, with the significant rise in cases in advanced markets and the imposition of lockdowns in parts of Europe, concerns remain on the impact this could have on growth in advanced economies, commodity prices and the financial markets.”

He also called for measures to “insulate our economy from the impact of these shocks through our diversification efforts, while also working to ensure that we adhere to safety protocols in order to prevent a surge in COVID-19 related cases, as this could further cripple economic activities.

This prediction by the apex bank echoes the projection of the Minister for Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, who stated that Nigeria would exit recession in the first quarter of 2021.

 

Continue Reading

National News

Shehu Sani Reacts To Hisbah’s Call For Scrapping Of Black Friday

Published

on

Shehu Sani Reacts To Hisbah's Call For Scrapping Of Black Friday

Shehu Sani

Former lawmaker, Senator Shehu Sani has reacted to the call for the scrapping of the popular ‘Black Friday’sales by the Kano State Hisbah Board.

Recall that earlier on Friday, the board asked a radio station, demanding that it stops using the word “Black Friday” to refer to Friday.

Also Read: TECNO Stormed Computer Village with BBNaija’s OZO to Wrap up its Black Friday Sales Activities

The board explained that since Friday is regarded as a holy day in Islam, tagging it “Black Friday” is derogatory and a thus, should not be condoned.

Reacting to the statement, the former lawmaker from Kaduna described the threat by the Hisbah board as ‘nonsensical.”

He wrote:

Continue Reading

Trending