A medical consultant with the Federal Medical Centre, Gusau, Abubakar Danladi, disclosed that about 100 women were confirmed dead in Zamfara State in 2016 due to pregnancy complications.
Mr. Danladi disclosed this on Tuesday in his presentation at a one-day meeting of Civil Society Organisations, CSOs, and the media on maternal mortality in the state, organised by the Advocacy Nigeria Network, an NGO.
He said while Nigeria only contributed to about three per cent of the world population of seven billion people, it had remained responsible for most of the health care related burden on the globe.
He also noted that this position was largely attained through the northern part of the country.
He said pregnancy related death cases among Nigerian women had been discovered to be caused by eclampsia and loss of blood.
According to him, there is poor political will on the side of the government to provide standard health care facilities with qualified personnel, drugs and equipment.
He said most of the women, especially at the rural areas, did not get to access services where such issues were being addressed in appreciable level.
He, therefore, urged the CSOs and the media to be more proactive in their activities, to ginger the government to do more in ensuring good health care delivery in the state.
Responding, the chairman of the Correspondents Chapel of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, NUJ, in the state, Maiharaji Sala, assured that the media was always ready to carry out its responsibility.
He pointed out that “we cannot, however, create news reports; so all stakeholders should be forthcoming with information whenever the need arises so that we can give the required publicity’’.
The News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, reported that the meeting was attended by 130 persons drawn from the media and the CSOs.
Source : (NAN)
Gowon: AfDB President Adesina Warns Against Misinformation
In recent days, the former Head of State has been in the news over the allegation that he looted half of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) when he was in office.
Tom Tugendhat, a member of the United Kingdom parliament, had referenced an allegation that Gowon looted Nigeria’s treasury while in office.
Reacting in a tweet on Thursday, Adesina said Nigerians should beware of misinformation.
He described Gowon as a “great and admirable elder statesman of Nigeria”, adding that his “honesty and integrity are impeccable.”
“Be careful of misinformation! H.E. General Yakubu Gowon, Nigeria’s former Head of State, is a man of great honour, decency, honesty, amazing simplicity, humility, and integrity. I know him. A great and admirable elder statesman of Nigeria. His honesty and integrity are impeccable.
Be careful of misinformation! H.E. General Yakubu Gowon, Nigeria’s former Head of State, is a man of great honour, decency, honesty, amazing simplicity, humility and integrity. I know him. A great and admirable elder statesman of Nigeria. His honesty and integrity are impeccable. pic.twitter.com/YznYN873qH
— Akinwumi A. Adesina (@akin_adesina) November 26, 2020
Gowon Describes UK MP’s Fraud Allegations As False
Former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon (Rtd) has reacted to allegations by a British lawmaker that he stole half of the Central Bank of Nigeria while in office.
In his reaction on Wednesday, the former Nigerian leader described the submission by the British Parliamentarian, Tom Tugendhat as rubbish.
He pointed out that he served Nigeria meritoriously and never stole anything with the records clearly available for all to see.
It will be recalled Tugendhat on Monday while addressing the British Parliament during a debate on a petition calling on the UK to impose sanctions on some federal government officials for their roles during the recent #EndSARS protest in Nigeria, submitted that some leaders have been looting the West African nation and hiding the ill-gotten wealth in the UK.
However, Gowon in his reaction to the allegation was quoted to have told the BBC in an exclusive interview: “I don’t know where he got that rubbish from, I served Nigeria diligently and my records are there for all to see.”
Senate Committee Screens Yakubu For INEC Chair Today
The Chairman of the committee, Kabiru Gaya, disclosed this to journalists on Wednesday after the panel submitted the report of the 2021 budget estimates of the commission to the Senate Committee on Appropriation.
The Senate received President Muhammadu Buhari’s letter seeking Yakubu’s confirmation on Tuesday.
He had on October 27 announced his decision to reappoint the former INEC boss.
The president’s letter was forwarded to the committee on INEC for screening which Senator Gaya said will be carried out expeditiously.
“Precisely the re-nominated Chairman of the Commission, Professor Mahmood Yakubu is to face our committee by 2:00 pm for the required drilling, the outcome of which will determine the report to be submitted to the Senate on Tuesday,” he said.
- National News19 hours ago
Pretty Lady Who Recently Got Married Dies During Child Birth
- Entertainment5 hours ago
“Manipulative As Ever People” – Erica‘s Manager Drags Laycon Over Interview
- News Feed19 hours ago
I miss my ex-husband, Blossom Chukwu — Maureen Esisi
- Entertainment5 hours ago
Mike Edwards’ Wife, Perri Shares Lovely Family Photo On Instagram
- Entertainment8 hours ago
VIDEO: Weird Controversies Trail Wedding Ceremony Of Nigerian Actor, Williams Uchemba
- News Feed19 hours ago
Nigerian man publicly denounces Christianity, accepts Ijaw deity worship
- Entertainment22 hours ago
BBNaija Star, Kiddwaya Shows Off His New Look (Photos)
- National News8 hours ago
#EndSARS: UK Parliament Does Not Speak For British Govt – FG