Connect with us

National News

Sepp Blatter denies assaulting Hope Solo

Published

on

Former FIFA President, Sepp Blatter, said on Saturday that claims by US women’s goalkeeper, Hope Solo, that he had grabbed her backside were “absurd.”

Solo told Portuguese newspaper, Expresso, that then-FIFA president, Blatter, had sexually harassed her at the 2013 Ballon d’Or ceremony.

The 36-year-old Solo, her country’s standout goalkeeper, claimed Blatter pounced as she was about to present an award to her teammate Abby Wambach.

“Sepp Blatter grabbed my ass, it was a few years ago at the Ballon d’Or ceremony, just before I got on stage,” Solo said.

However, Blatter, 81, told AFP the accusations were “absurd and ridiculous.”

Solo, a World Cup winner and two-time Olympic champion, made the allegations on the sidelines of the Web Summit being held in Lisbon.

She said that sexual harassment at the hands of male officials was a common problem in women’s football.

“I have seen this all of my career and I would like to see more athletes speak about their experiences,” said Solo.

“It’s out of control, not just in Hollywood but everywhere,” she added in reference to the firestorm of sexual harassment allegations in entertainment, politics and sport since the scandal involving Hollywood mogul, Harvey Weinstein, unfolded.

Solo made reference to the fact that female players sometimes married their US college coaches, “which obviously a coach should not be doing, especially with a young player.”

Blatter was president of FIFA from 1998 to 2015 until he was banned for corruption.

The Swiss official ran FIFA with an iron hand and oversaw a period in which football’s premier tournament was hosted in Asia for the first time and he paved the way for it to be held in Qatar in 2022.

After the corruption allegations emerged, FIFA banned Blatter from the sport for eight years, a term later reduced to six years after appeal.

Blatter told AFP last month that he would attend next year’s World Cup finals in Russia at the invitation of President Vladimir Putin.

Source: (AFP)

National News

Thugs set prisoners free after hijacking #EndSARS protest in Edo (videos)

Published

on

Thugs set prisoners free after hijacking #EndSARS protest in Edo (videos)

There has been a jailbreak at the Oko Prison in Benin City, Edo state on Monday morning, October 19.

According to reports, suspected thugs hijacked the peaceful end SARS protest, stormed the prison facility, and overpowered the prison officials before setting the prisoners free.

One of the prisoners who escaped said he has been awaiting trial for two years.

Continue Reading

National News

#EndSARS: Hoodlums Hijack Benin Protest, Free Prisoners

Published

on

#EndSARS: Hoodlums Hijack Benin Protest, Free Prisoners
#EndSARS: Hoodlums Hijack Benin Protest, Free Prisoners

Hoodlums free prisoners in Benin

Hoodlums have hijacked the #EndSARS protesters around Kings Square in Benin City, the capital city of Edo State.

The hoodlums have reportedly broken the walls of the headquarters of the Nigeria Correctional Centre (Nigeria prisons in Benin).

The hoodlums after gaining entrance into the prison through the fence freed inmates in the prisons along Benin Sapele Road, near the Nigeria Union of Journalists, NUJ office.

Also Read: BREAKING: Abuja #EndSARS Protesters Block Kuje, Airport Road

The Special Adviser to Governor Godwin Obaseki on Media, Crusoe Osagie, told Channels Television that the hoodlums exchanged fire with security operatives at the Maximum prison in Benin City.

“The hoodlums are currently exchanging fire with the security personnel at the Maximum security prison in Oko, Benin City,” Osagie said.

Continue Reading

National News

BREAKING: Edo Government Declares 24-Hour Curfew

Published

on

BREAKING: Edo Government Declares 24-Hour Curfew
BREAKING: Edo Government Declares 24-Hour Curfew

Godwin Obaseki

Following the prison break recorded in Benin City, Edo State, on Monday morning Governor Godwin Obaseki has declared a 24-hour curfew across the state.

The curfew is to take effect from 4:00 pm, October 19, 2020, until further notice.

This was announced by the secretary to the state government, Osarodion Ogie.

Also Read: BREAKING: Abuja #EndSARS Protesters Block Kuje, Airport Road

Ogie said the imposition of the curfew was due to the incidents of vandalism and attacks carried out by hoodlums who hijacked the #ENDSARS protests.

“This decision has become necessary because of the very disturbing incidents of vandalism and attacks on private individuals and institutions by hoodlums in the guise of the #ENDSARS protests.

“While the government of Edo State respects the rights of its citizens to undertake legitimate protests, it cannot sit idly when hoodlums have taken laws into their hands to cause mayhem on innocent citizens and the state,” Ogie said.

Continue Reading

Trending