Connect with us

News Feed

Senate To Publish Names Of Companies In Alleged N30 Trillion Revenue Scam

Published

on

While speaking in an interview with newsmen on Sunday, Senator Hope Uzodinma, Chairman of the Joint Committee on Customs, Excise and Tariff and Marine Transport, revealed that the lawmakers are set to publish names of companies found in N30tr revenue scam.

The Senate says it is set to publish names of companies found culpable in investigation into alleged N30 trillion revenue scam in the import and export value chain.
Sen. Hope Uzodinma, Chairman of the Joint Committee on Customs, Excise and Tariff and Marine Transport, made this known in an interview with newsmen on Sunday.
He said the committee had completed its first batch of investigation involving over 60 companies and would publish names of companies involved in various infractions leading to loss of government revenue.
He said the committee was releasing the names because it had established culpability against the companies.
Uzodinma added that the names to be published would contain details of how much of recoverable government revenue was with each of the companies.
The lawmaker stressed that companies found to be involved in infractions bothering on money laundering and foreign exchange abuses would be referred to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for prosecution and recovery of the monies.
He added that those bothering on smuggling and import infractions would be referred to the Nigeria Customs Service for recovery of such revenues and possibly blacklisting.
 
“We got up to the point that even the companies themselves have seen that they are culpable and that is why we want to publish the names and hand them over to EFCC and Customs.
 
“The reason for the delay in publishing the names all the while is to establish culpability against the companies.
 
“Now through various reconciliations, it has been established and we are no longer in doubt, including the companies that are involved, that these things are in existence and that they are culpable.
 
“We have presented the interim report which detailed how much we have recovered so far and the Senate approved it in plenary, while an extension was given to us to do the final reconciliation.
 
“We do not want emphasis to continue to be on how much we have recovered even though it is contained in the report. We want those companies found culpable to go to government and make payments,’’ he said.
The chairman further said that “some of the companies have started paying while others have not. None of them have fully paid what we have established against them.
 
“Since they have started paying, we will now transfer the matter to the Customs, who will now do a recovery schedule with the companies that are willing to pay what is due to government.
 
“By the time the names are published, Nigerians and the Federal Government will know which company is owing what and the relevant agencies will go after them to recover the money.’’
The chairman said that the committee would commence the second batch of investigation after some oversight visits to establish culpability.
He assured that the committee would not be deterred in its effort to assist government in recovering monies meant for the development of the economy.
He stressed that the legislature would continue to use its constitutional powers to assist the executive in blocking leakages and increasing revenue generation, particularly in the non-oil sector.
Uzodinma said it was appalling that in spite of government’s effort to improve revenue generation to meet the country’s development needs, some people were still involved in jeopardising such effort.
The joint committee was mandated by the Senate to carry out investigation into alleged N30 trillion revenue leakages in foreign exchange and the entire import and export value chain between 2006 and 2017.
It was mandated to identify leakages and irregularities in the system and come up with recommendations that would block further leakages and strengthen the revenue drive of the Nigeria Customs Service.
In an interim report presented to the Senate on October 18, the committee said it had recovered N140 billion.
The report indicated that some collection banks had made remittances to the Central Bank of Nigeria to the tune of N128 billion with evidence of payment received by the committee.
It further indicated that some of the 60 companies made voluntary payment of over N12 billion to government based on internal self-audit after receiving documented evidence of culpability from the committee.
The report also indicated that the committee identified 32 leakage channels as the major sources of revenue loss in the import-export value chain, including undervaluation, wrong tariff classification and abuse of waivers and concessions.

Source: NAN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

Lady buys carton of indomie with COVID-19 sticker in Akwa Ibom

Published

on

Lady buys carton of indomie with COVID-19 sticker in Akwa Ibom

A Nigerian lady has lamented over the insensitivity of some Nigerians who go about selling what rightfully belongs to the citizens of the country.

In a Facebook post, the lady, Inemesit Green-Nathaniel said she bought a carton of Indomie and removed a new sticker found on it. It turned out to be a covid-19 sticker, stating that the indomie is not for sale.

 

To her utmost surprise, after removing the “indomitable” sticker, she found COVID19 sticker, underneath it.

“I don’t really know what took my mind to this pack of indomie in my house, I decided to remove this new sticker from it, lo and behold at the back of it I saw Covid 19, Not for sale.

So all this while I have been buying my own right? So if you are looking for warehouse in Akwa ibom, our own palliatives has been sold out to us. HOW HEARTLESS CAN PEOPLE BE?”, She lamented.



Continue Reading

News Feed

Lekki Toll Gate Future Proceeds Should Go To Victims Of Police Brutality: Tinubu

Published

on

Lekki Toll Gate Future Proceeds Should Go To Victims Of Police Brutality: Tinubu

Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, former governor of Lagos state has stated that the future proceeds from Lekki toll gate be donated to victims of late endSARS protest in Lagos.

The National Leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress stated this in a statement made available to newsmen in Lagos.

 

 

Read his statement below;

“Today, I speak to those who believe in the importance of, and want to know, the truth,” Tinubu said.

“The slander aimed at me is based on the untruth that I own the toll gate concession. The hate mongers prevaricate that I ordered the Lekki assault because the protests had caused me to lose money due to the interruption of toll gate activity,” Tinubu said.

“The toll gate is a public asset. Given what has happened, I would like to propose to the government that the toll gate be left closed for an indefinite period.

“If it is reopened, revenues should be donated to the confirmed victims of the Lekki attack as well as to other identifiable victims of police brutality in Lagos.

“Let government use the money to compensate and take care of those who have lost life or limb in the struggle for all citizens to go about the quiet, peaceful enjoyment of life without fear of undue harassment at this or that checkpoint,” he said.

“Although equipped with prior notice of the imminent trespass, I did not call anyone to seek or request for the army or police to deploy let alone attack, kill, or injure those who razed and vandalized these properties.

“I did not want any bloodshed. These elements, mostly hirelings of my political opponents, wreaked their havoc and destroyed those buildings and facilities and I thank God that the employees of these two media institutions managed to escape largely unharmed,” he said.

”In good opinion, it is illogical that he allowed damage to his investments but ordered: “soldiers to repel peaceful protesters from the toll gate where I have no financial interest”.

“Why would I be so moved as to instigate the army to attack peaceful, law-abiding people at the toll gate where I have no pecuniary stake, yet lift not a single finger to stop hired miscreants bent on setting fire to these important media investments?”.

Continue Reading

News Feed

Nigerian leaders constantly leaves me heart broken – Singer Orezi

Published

on

Nigerian leaders constantly leaves me heart broken – Singer Orezi

Orezi, famous  Nigerian singer has stated that the fraudulent and corrupt activities of Nigerian leaders constantly breaks his heart.

The singer made this known in a series of tweets he sent out recently.

According to him, political leaders should be held accountable and made to face justice when found culpable of a crime.

He wrote,

“The only reason this politician do this and have the nerve to sleep well at night is because they are not sleeping in KIRIKIRI YET , they commit all this sorts of crimes against the same people who put them in power , Oppress them and the JUDICIARY SYSTEM STILLS FAVOURS them.

“I REPEAT UNTILL OUR POLITICIANS START GOING TO JAIL FOR ALL THIS BROAD DAY LIGHT CRIMES WITH EVIDENCES STARING AT US IN THE EYE NIGERIA WILL NEVER BE GREAT

“This past week has been my worst as a Nigerian living in Nigeria , I have been sad , angry , pained , cried , I can’t mehn !! TIRED GOD GIVE US THE STRENGTH !! ITS NOT EASY, EVERYBODY GO GET YOUR PVC !! na the only way oooo ”.

See screenshots below,

Continue Reading

Trending