Connect with us

National News

Afenifere queries EFCC failure to probe Babachir Lawal

Published

on

The Yoruba socio-cultural group, Afenifere has queried the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over its failure to invite the former Secretary to Government of the Federation, Babachir Lawal, following his indictment for corruption.

It noted that the commission only extended an invitation to the former Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency, Mr Ayodele Oke, and his wife over the cash found in an apartment in Ikoyi, Lagos.

The two men were sacked by President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday following their indictment for corruption by a panel headed by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo.

Afenifere in a statement on Thursday by its spokesman, Yinka Odumakin, cautioned the EFCC against sparing Lawal, noting that its failure to invite the sacked official was contrary to the directive by the President that the ex-SGF and Oke should both be investigated by the EFCC.

“We are however surprised that the EFCC has not extended similar invitation to Mr Babachir Lawal, the former SGF sacked alongside Oke,” Afenifere said.

It observed that following public outcry that the Presidency should hand the former officials to the EFCC for prosecution after their sacking, “spokesmen of the administration have been speaking in forked tongues about Presidency not teleguiding the anti-graft war and that the agency would exercise its discretion.”

Odumakin said the anti-graft agency seemed to have exercised its discretion by inviting Oke and sparing Lawal who he alleged was initially protected by the Presidency and defended after he was indicted by the Senate for fraud.

The Afenifere spokesman insisted that Oke should be investigated and prosecuted if he was indicted for wrong-doing by the Osinbajo panel, adding that the EFCC cannot, however, spare Lawal while probing the sacked NIA boss.

“Inviting one and leaving the other has brought to the fore again the charge of selectivity with picking and choosing those to prosecute over corruption in the land which led a serving Senator to observe that insecticide comes handy when allegations of corruption are raised against some people and deodorant deployed when it is the turn of others,” Afenifere submitted.

The group insisted that EFCC must also invite Lawal in order to dispel the perception of selectivity in the anti-graft campaign, noting that everyone who broke the law must be treated equally no matter their status or origin.

“We insist that for the perception not to become stronger that the anti-graft war develops strong teeth against the vulnerable and become toothless against the sacred cows, the EFCC must invite Lawal as it goes after Oke,” Afenifere stressed.

Source: ( Punch Newspaper )

National News

#LekkiMassacre: CNN Dares Nigeria Government, Updates Second Report (Video)

Published

on

The Cable News Network, CNN seems not done with the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government with the television channel releasing another report on the shooting at the Lekki toll gate during the End SARS protests.

Recall that the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, called out CNN over its report on the incident.

He added that CNN was biased in its report and needs to be sanctioned.

The Minister also addressed a letter to the management of CNN in Atlanta.

The network, however, on Tuesday released the second report with more damning footage showing soldiers shooting at unarmed protesters on October 20, 2020.

The second report also shows the Commander, 81 Division, Brig.Gen Ahmed Taiwo, admitting before the judicial panel in Lagos that military men had live ammunition in their weapons while at the tollgate.

CNN also noted that the statement of Brig.Gen Taiwo contradicts that of the Minister who had claimed last week that the army fired blank bullets.

It was also revealed in the new report, the moment when protesters were running as soldiers open fire at the tollgate.

Watch video below;

Continue Reading

National News

Petrol Subsidy Not Completely Gone, Says Minister

Published

on

Petrol Subsidy Not Completely Gone, Says Minister

Timipre Slyva

Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva has stated that contrary to popular belief, the federal government has not completely removed petrol subsidy.

Speaking on Channels’ Politics Today, the minister said: “We are still trying to manage this bumpy start. We have not been able to get to that 100 percent removal of subsidy from the foreign exchange end.

“If we were to take it out completely and allow people to access foreign exchange from the parallel market and allow people to import the product, the price of the pump will even be more.

Also Read: Petrol Price Will Increase When Oil Goes Up – Sylva

“The Federal Government, knowing the impact it will have on the people, decided that they are still going to manage this situation.”

Speaking on the importation of petrol from Niger, the Minister expressed that the importation of fuel from the Niger Republic is not something Nigerians should be embarrassed about.

He expressed that Nigerians should be proud that the Federal Government is set to resume the importation of petroleum products from its neighbour.

Continue Reading

National News

‘Your Report On Lekki Capable Of Setting Nigeria On Fire’ — Lai Writes CNN

Published

on

JustLai MohammedMinister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has expressed that the CNN report on the Lekki Tollgate shooting of October 20 2020 is capable of setting the country on fire.

Recall that CNN had published an investigative report titled, ‘How a bloody night of bullets and brutality quashed a young protest movement in Nigeria,’ claiming soldiers fired live ammunition directly at protesters at the Lekki toll gate.

But Nigeria’s Minister for Information denied the report of the US-based cable television, calling for a sanction on CNN over the report, adding that the report on the Lekki tollgate incident was highly irresponsible.

Also Read: Lai Mohammed Condemns CNN Investigation On Lekki Shooting

Reacting in another story titled, ‘Nigeria threatens CNN with sanctions but provides no evidence Lekki toll gate investigation is inaccurate’, CNN maintained that it stood by its earlier report on the Lekki tollgate incident.

In a petition dated November 23 and addressed to Mr. Jonathan Hawkins VP, Communications, CNN Centre Atlanta, Georgia U.S, the federal government demanded “an immediate and exhaustive investigation into its report on the Lekki Toll Gate incident to determine its authenticity and conformity to basic standards of journalism.”

Lai Mohammed, who signed the petition, said if the US-based media organisation failed to carry out its demand, the Nigerian government will “take any action within its laws’’ to prevent CNN from aggravating the End SARS crisis.

Continue Reading

Trending