Connect with us

National News

Liberia Elections: Vice President, Joseph Boakai believes he has what it takes to defeat George Weah

Published

on

Vice-President Joseph Boakai of Liberia says “nothing is going to stop” his victory in the Oct. 10 presidential elections.

Speaking with newsmen in Monrovia, he expressed optimism of winning the election in the first round, although he is still second in the provisional results released so far.

As at Saturday, Boakai of the ruling Unity Party was still the first runner up with 334,162 votes representing 29.6 per cent of the votes so far processed.

Former football star, Mr George Manneh Weah of the Coalition for Democratic Change was leading with 441,839 or 39.2 per cent.

“As far as I’m concerned, I know the Unity Party is going to win the elections; nothing is going to stop it.

“I went into the election to win, and I don’t settle for second round, I went to the polls for first round,” he said.

A winner of the presidential elections must secure at least more than 50 per cent of the total votes cast to avoid a run-off.

Twenty candidates contested in the election to succeed outgoing President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, who is stepping down after serving out her two terms.

The Chairman of the National Elections Commission, Mr Jerome Kokorya, had released more provisional results on Saturday, bringing the total votes so far processed to 1.12 million.

Korkoya said votes from 3,991 polling units had been processed as at Saturday out of a total of 5,390 units across the country.

2.1 million voters registered for the 2017 general elections.

Meanwhile, the opposition figure and presidential candidate of Liberty Party, Mr Charles Brumskine, had alleged fraud in the elections, in spite the international observers adjudging it free and fair.

Brumskine, who stood at a third position with 9.3 per cent, alleged the polls were marred by gross irregularities and fraud, calling for re-run.

Source: (NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Court Okays Suit Compelling Emefiele To Account For COVID-19 Donations

Published

on

Court Okays Suit Compelling Emefiele To Account For COVID-19 Donations

CBN Governor – Godwin Emefiele

The Federal High Court, Abuja, on Monday, granted a suit, seeking to apply for judicial review and order of mandamus to compel the Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, to provide details of financial donations received by the country in relation to the coronavirus pandemic.

Justice Inyang Ekwo gave the ruling in a suit filed by Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) and Heda Resource Centre as 1st and 2nd applicants respectively.

Mandamus is a judicial writ issued as a command to an inferior court or ordering a person to perform a public or statutory duty.

Also Read: Nigeria’s Economy May Emerge From Recession In 2021 Q1, Says Emefiele

According to reports, the group, in an ex-parte motion marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/1456/2020, listed the CBN governor as sole respondent.

Ekwo also granted their plea to seek an order declaring that the failure of the CBN to provide the plaintiff with information on the sources of the donations, how they are being applied, among others, amounted to a violation of the applicant’s rights under the Freedom of Information Act and the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights.

He ordered the applicant to file, within seven days, a formal application for the orders sought, which must be served on the respondent within seven days.

The judge also ordered the respondent to, upon being served, file its response within 30 days.

Continue Reading

National News

Lawan Leads FG’s Delegation On Condolence Visit To Borno

Published

on

Lawan Leads FG’s Delegation On Condolence Visit To Borno

Ahmad Lawan

Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, on Monday, led a federal government delegation to Borno State on a condolence visit following the killing of farmers on Saturday by members of the Boko Haram sect.

Members of the delegation include the Chief of Staff to the President, Professor Ibrahim Gambari, Ministers of the Federal Capital Territory, Mohammed Bello, Communications and Digital Economy, Ali Pantami, and the Minister of State for Agriculture, Mustapha Baba Shehuri.

Also Read: Boko Haram: ‘Be Hurt In Your Pursuit Of Justice For The Dead’, Ezekwesili Tells Buhari

Other members are the National Security Adviser, Major General Babagana Monguno (rtd), and Senior Special Assistant( Media and Publicity) to the President, Mallam Garba Shehu.

The delegation was reportedly received on arrival at the Airport by the Borno State Deputy Governor, Usman Umar Gadafu.

The delegation is in Borno, on behalf of President Muhammadu Buhari and the Federal Government, to commiserate and identify with the family of the victims, the Government, and the people of Borno State over the incident.

 

Continue Reading

National News

43 Farmers Killed By Boko Haram Didn’t Have Clearance To Farm — Buhari’s aide

Published

on

President Buhari's Spokesperson 'Blames' Farmers Murdered By Terrorists In Borno

Garba Shehu

Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity has disclosed that the farmers slaughtered by Boko Haram terrorists on Saturday didn’t have military clearance to be on the farm.

This he stated on Monday during an interview with the BBC where he spoke about the unfortunate incident in which terrorists on Saturday, mercilessly killed not less than 43 farmers in the Zabarmari area of Borno State, about 20km away from Maiduguri the state capital.

Shehu in a reaction to the sad incident noted that while most of the area has been liberated from the insurgents, the military needs to give clearance/approval before farmers can return to their farms or locals resettle in the area.

Also Read: Donald Duke: Security Operatives Selling Weapons To Boko Haram

He, however, pointed out that the farmers killed on Saturday didn’t have military clearance to be on the farms.

Asked if it was not a case of blaming the farmers for their own death, the presidential spokesperson said the victims are not been blamed but the truth must be said.

He added that before the people can return to such places, lots of military clearance needs to be done to make it habitable again for civilians.

Continue Reading

Trending