The Pakistan government on Monday confirmed the death of two Chinese nationals who were killed in Southwestern Balochistan province days after they were kidnapped from Quetta, the Provincial Capital in May.
“The DNA reports have confirmed that the two persons killed in Balochistan in June were the same two Chinese nationals, who were kidnapped from Quetta in May, Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
The statement said that the government of Pakistan expressed deep shock and grief on the brutal act of terrorism, and extends condolences to the government and people of China.
The government of Pakistan also sympathised with the families of the victims.
“The Government of Pakistan would continue to conduct a thorough investigation and apprehend the perpetrators of this crime to bring them to justice,” the statement said.
It said Pakistan strongly condemned terrorism in all its forms and manifestation.
“We are grateful to the Government of China for its strong support for our fight against the menace of terrorism,” the Foreign Ministry said.
It said Pakistan would continue to work with China and the international community to enhance counter-terrorism cooperation as well as regional and global peace and security.
Reports said the couple who were teaching Chinese in Pakistan was kidnapped in May by unidentified gunmen in Quetta.
The kidnappers, disguised as policemen, initially took away three Chinese, two women and a man, but a passer-by helped one of the women escape.
The Pakistani side provided China information in June that the two abductees were “probably dead.’’
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Hua Chunying, in June, said that China opposes terrorism in any form, adding that the country would continue to support Pakistan’s efforts to fight terrorism and safeguard national stability.
Source: ( NAN )
2020 Finance Bill Exempts Minimum Wage Earners From Tax: Buhari
President Muhammadu Buhari has revealed that the recently proposed 2020 Finance Bill will exempt workers earning the minimum wage from paying tax.
Buhari disclosed this on Monday in a speech delivered virtually by Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo at the opening session of the 26th Nigerian Economic Summit Group Conference themed: “Building Partnerships for Resilience.”
“We are proposing in the new Finance Act that those who earn minimum wage should be exempted from paying income tax,” he was quoted as saying in a statement issued by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Laolu Akande.
“These provisions which complement the tax breaks given to small businesses last year will not only further stimulate the economy but are also a fulfilment of promises made to take steps to help reduce the cost of transportation and the impact of inflation on ordinary Nigerians.”
Nigeria Will Exit Recession By First Quarter Of 2021 – Finance Minister
Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed has revealed that Nigeria would emerge from recession in the fourth quarter of this year or by the first quarter of 2021.
Speaking on Monday at the ongoing 26th Nigerian Economic Summit organized by the Nigerian Economic Summit Group and the Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget, and National Planning, Zainab said the current recession would be short-lived.
She blamed COVID-19 for the current recession, saying it followed the pattern across the world where many countries had entered an economic recession.
“Nigeria is not alone in this, but I will say that Nigeria has outperformed all of these economies in terms of the record of a negative growth,” Ahmed said.
Court Remands Nigerian Senator, Ali Ndume, In Prison
Senator Ali Ndume, the lawmaker representing Borno South Senatorial district has been ordered on Monday by a federal high court to be sent to prison.
The order follows his inability to produce Abdulrasheed Maina, the former Chairman of the defunct Pension Task Team, whom he stood as surety for in his corruption and money laundering trial.
The high court, sitting in Abuja was presided over by Justice Okon Abang and ordered Senator Ndume to be remanded in Kuje correctional centre.
Justice Abang, however, gave three conditions upon which Ndume can regain his freedom namely payment of N500m bail bond into the Federation Account of the Federal Government and present evidence of such payment in court or the FG sells the property situated in Asokoro, Abuja which Ndume pledge as security for the bond and present evidence of sale and payment of the N500m realised into the Federation Account or he (Ndume) produces Maina, who is believed to have now jumped bail, in court.
Shortly after the pronouncement by the Judge, Senator Ndume was led away from the courtroom by security operatives.
- Entertainment17 hours ago
Faithia Williams Condoles Iyabo Ojo Over Mother’s Death
- National News22 hours ago
NLC, TUC Stage Walk Out From Meeting With FG
- National News20 hours ago
CCB Invitation: Magu Can’t Access Assets’ Documents, Says Lawyer
- Entertainment18 hours ago
“It’s Different And Classy” – Cardi B Praises Erica’s Fashion Style
- News Feed16 hours ago
Iyabo Ojo Finds Out Her Mum Lied About Her Age (Video)
- Metro News21 hours ago
Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu
- National News21 hours ago
Saraki Reacts To Kidnap, Killing Of Worshippers In Zamfara Mosque
- National News21 hours ago
Recession: Nigeria’s Economy On Way To Recovery, Says Osinbajo’s Aide