Connect with us

News Feed

Private Practice By Govt Doctors May Be Stopped

Published

on

The Nigerian government is considering banning private practice among government doctors as it has been militating against their performance.
The Federal Government on Wednesday said it might stop medical doctors in public sector from engaging in private practice. It also said 33 suspected cases of moneypox had so far been recorded in seven states across the country.
The Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, who disclosed this to State House correspondents at the end of the weekly meeting of the Federal Executive Council presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, also announced the outbreak of yellow fever in five states.
 The yellow fever outbreak, the minister said, started in Kwara State. Adewole said so far, 10 cases had been recorded in the country – four in Kwara; two in Kogi; two in Plateau; one in Abia; and one in Edo.
He said the government had therefore decided to start its reactive campaign in Kwara and Kogi states from Friday (tomorrow).
The minister  said government had also decided to start a nationwide vaccination against yellow fever, which would be brought forward to December.
Adewole added that no new confirmed case of Lassa fever had been reported in the country, while he also reported the declining case of cholera in Borno State with no death recorded so far.
The minister said the council had also decided to look into the issue of private practice by medical doctors in the public sector and had set up a committee on the matter.
“A committee has been set up to look extensively into that issue because we want to resolve the issue of what does the law of the land states and what the rule of professional ethics says.
 
“The law of the land does not allow any public officer to do anything other than farming.
 
“So, that committee would make appropriate recommendation to government on this important issue which is of considerable interest to quite a number of Nigerians.
 
“In addition to that, we will also look at the Yayale Ahmed Report which tried to look into the relationship between professional groups in the health sector and the office of the SGF has been mandated to forward a White Paper on the report to the FEC so that, once and for all, government can restore harmony to the health sector,” the minister said.
Adewole added that the council resolved to set up a committee on the works being done in the health sector.
“Council also looked at the issue of residency training programme and decided that the training should last for a fixed time of seven years.
 
“After training for seven years, individuals should exit from the programme so that other people can come in,” he said.
Adewole, however, said many of the 33 monkeypox cases reported did not fit into the classic prototype of the disease, hence the decision of the Federal Government to take some samples to the laboratory for confirmation.
He urged Nigerians not to panic but endeavour to report all suspected cases of monkeypox to medical practitioners and continue to maintain high level of hygiene.
The minister said, “This actually started in Bayelsa State and we have recorded 33 suspected cases in all from seven states: Bayelsa, Rivers, Ekiti, Akwa Ibom, Lagos, Ogun and Cross River.
 
“What is particularly significant is that many of the cases so reported do not fit into the classic prototype of monkeypox but we are trying to confirm.
 
“Before the end of today (Wednesday) or early tomorrow (Thursday), we should be able to confirm exactly what we are dealing with whether it is truly monkeypox or not. But what is obvious is that we have a disease that is close to the pox family.
 
“One of our scientists, Prof. Christian Appeh, is looking into it in the laboratory to confirm if it is truly monkeypox. We are also doing a double confirmation in Senegal because Senegal also have a public health laboratory that could make diagnosis.
 
“We are looking at the two and hopefully, in the next 24 or 48 hours, we should be able to make a diagnosis as to what we have.
 
“Our advice to Nigerians will be not to panic, report all suspected cases to health facilities and to continue to maintain a high level of hygiene. Let us wash our hands; let us avoid contact with dead animals, clean our surroundings and as much as possible for health workers to maintain barrier nursing while managing people with suspected cases of monkeypox.”

Source: Tori

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

#EndSARS: Hoodlums vandalize Senator Gershom Bassey’s family house in Calabar

Published

on

#EndSARS: Hoodlums vandalize Senator Gershom Bassey’s family house in Calabar

Senator Gershom Bassey’s resident has been vandalized and looted by hoodlums rampaging the streets of Calabar.

Information Nigeria gathered that the hoodlums overpowered the security men attached to the property.

 

This is in spite of the  24 hours curfew declared in Cross River state.

Some of the buildings already vandalised include the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) office along Marian Road, Cross River State Transport Regulatory Agency (CRTRA) office and banks along Mayne Avenue and 8-Miles Calabar.

Federal institutions like the Ministry of Agriculture, Cross River Basin Authourity, and Federal Psychiatric Hospital were also vandalized.

Houses belonging to some politicians were not spared. Some of those affected include Senators Gershom Bassey and Victor Ndoma Egba. Bassey’s houses located at Mayne Avenue by White and the one at Asari Iso were looted and burnt.

Egba’s house located within the same Asari Iso axis was also vandalized.

To restore normalcy, military personnel have reportedly taken over major streets.

Continue Reading

News Feed

Hoodlums loot electronic store in Osogbo

Published

on

Hoodlums loot electronic store in Osogbo

Hoodlums have looted an electronic store in Osogbo, Osun State’s capital

It was gathered that some military personnel later stopped the hoodlums and recovered some goods.

 

In a new video sighted online, hoodlums were seen looting an electronic shop in Osogbo, Osun state.

The hoodlums were seen taking away motorbike and other electronic gadgets.

However, many netizens after watching the video have condemned it.

Continue Reading

News Feed

Lekki Massacre: Forensic Analysis Shows Videos Were Genuine

Published

on

Lekki Massacre: Forensic Analysis Shows Videos Were Genuine

Forensic analysis of videos showing the killing of protesters at the Lekki toll-gate area by soldiers on Tuesday has shown them to be authentic, in spite of the Nigerian Army’s classification of the reports as fake and the Defence Headquarters’ claim that the videos were doctored.

In a report published by the Digital Forensic Research (DRF) Lab on Thursday, it noted that open-source evidence contradicted these denials.

“Several videos corroborate the location and presence of Nigerian soldiers at the Lekki Toll Plaza, a major toll highway toll concession in the south of Lagos,” said Jean Le Roux, the lab’s Research Associate for Southern Africa.

“Video footage posted on Twitter place Nigerian soldiers at the plaza, where they are seen approaching peaceful demonstrators and opening fire. Subsequent footage shows injured civilians being carried away from the same location.”

Using four videos, the DFRLab geolocated the shooting at the toll-gate “despite denials by the Nigerian military”.

“A different video shows what appears to be soldiers of the Nigerian army approaching protesters where they were stationed behind plastic barriers. Soldiers approached the group and opened fire. No warning is heard in the video. Muzzle flashes indicate that several of the shots seen and heard here were fired into the air,” it stated.

It confirmed using features close to the toll-gate and across the channel that the video was taken “looking into a northern direction on the eastern part of the toll gate, suggesting that protesters were approached from both the east and west by law enforcement, as suggested by some witnesses”.

“Video footage also identified injured protestors at the same scene. The author of a video uploaded to Twitter on October 20 shows injured and bloodied protestors with the author claiming they were shot by soldiers. As the video pans, a parking garage to the south of the toll gate can be seen,” DFRLab continued.

“Another video taken in front of the toll gate showed several injured protestors being carried off in the presence of camouflaged soldiers, presumably the same soldiers seen in the second video above. At least two protestors are carried away, while a third is seen on the ground during the video.”

Geolocation of the last video placed soldiers at the southern section of the toll-gate’s eastern part.

“Despite denials by the Nigerian Army, open-source evidence links the presence of Nigerian soldiers at the Lekki Toll Gate at the same time as the first reports of shooting came in,” the organisation emphasised.

“Video footage also showed Lekki Toll Gate protestors, who had been peaceful in the preceding 11 days, bloodied and injured in the presence of these soldiers.”

According to Amnesty International, an on-the-ground investigation revealed that at least 10 people were killed when armed officials of the Nigerian Army opened fire on the protesters.

“These shootings clearly amount to extrajudicial executions. There must be an immediate investigation and suspected perpetrators must be held accountable through fair trials. Authorities must ensure access to justice and effective remedies for the victims and their families,” it said.

News Credit ~ HumAngle

Continue Reading

Trending