Connect with us

News Feed

O.J. Simpson Finally Released On Parole

Published

on

The Nevada Department of Corrections has released American football star and actor, OJ Simpsons from prison.

The former American football star and actor OJ Simpson has been released on parole after nine years in a Nevada jail. He had been serving time for armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and 10 other charges over a 2007 confrontation at a Las Vegas hotel.
Simpson was approved for early parole release at a board hearing in July. In 1995 he was acquitted of the murder of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ron Goodman.
In a Facebook post, Nevada Department of Corrections released an image and video of Simpson signing documents and leaving Lovelock Correctional Centre early on Sunday. They confirmed the 70-year-old had been released from the facility at 00:08 (07:08 GMT).
He will face restrictions – including up to five years of parole supervision. The football player was sentenced to a maximum 33-year prison sentence in 2008 after storming a Las Vegas hotel room with five others in an effort to seize items from two sports memorabilia dealers.
Simpson said the belongings, which he described as images of his family and friends, were later handed over to him by officials after they were legally deemed to belong to him. In 2013 the Nevada Board of Parole granted him parole on some of his convictions, but not for the more violent charges. In July this year, he was granted parole and approved for release in October.
Bruce Fromong, who was one of Simpson’s victims in the robbery, testified in favour of him being granted freedom. Simpson was found guilty in 2008 exactly 13 years to the day after he was famously acquitted in the double-murder case.
Despite the 1995 not-guilty verdict, a civil court jury held Simpson liable for the deaths of his Brown Simpson and Goldman, awarding $33.5m (£25m) to their families. A lawyer representing Ron Goldman’s family told Associated Press this amount had nearly doubled with interest under Californian state law, and that the family would continue to seek payment from Simpson after his release.
Simpson has expressed his desire to move to Florida after leaving jail. His lawyer Malcolm LaVergne said on Wednesday that he was feeling “very upbeat” ahead of the release.
Simpson became a cult figure in the National Football Leaue (NFL) after record-breaking performances for the Buffalo Bills team. After retiring in 1979 he starred in television shows and movies, including the 1988 film The Naked Gun.

Source: Tori

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

Tinubu finally speaks on Lekki shooting, tells Buhari to find culprits

Published

on

Tinubu finally speaks on Lekki shooting, tells Buhari to find culprits

Former Governor of Lagos state and the All Progressives Congress (APC) Chieftain, Bola Ahmed Tinubu has commented on the Lekki toll gate shooting that left many dead and several others injured.

The Lagos politician who was interviewed via telephone by a Channels TV reporter, Olu Philips, shared his shock over the shooting and also revealed that he is ready to complain to the highest authorities.

Contrary to people’s predictions, Tinubu however denied ordering the shooting and also stated that he can only control his security guard. He again reiterated that he will never be part of any group that uses live ammunition against protesters.

Insisting that he has always been an activist, the APC Chieftain expressed sympathy for the victims of the incident and advised the federal government to “fish out whoever gave the order (for the shooting) and put them on trial”.

He then recalled how he was falsely accused of being behind #EndSARS protests. Tinubu who noted that he doesn’t believe that Buhari ordered the shooting, appealed for calm over the incident. He also denied having a stake in the Lekki toll gate or suffering a loss due to the continous blockage of the area by #EndSARS protesters.

He said,

“It is early hours of the morning, there’s no way I can talk to the authorities or wake them up now. I have tried to reach the NSA, I have tried to reach the head of the army.

“You don’t call the president at this hour, but I strongly condemn the act. There are other means of settling or dispersing protest. Why would they use live bullets? There are rubber bullets.

“I am not even sure yet they are Nigerian army, I am not sure how well the uniforms of the army are controlled. But that is not as critical as the bloodshed that has occurred.

“We have lost our sleep, we have lost our peace of mind, (and) we just have to deal with it.”

Continue Reading

News Feed

Buhari Will Come Up With Solutions In Few Hours -Major General Babagana Monguno

Published

on

Buhari Will Come Up With Solutions In Few Hours -Major General Babagana Monguno

It has been reported that the National Security, Major General Babagana Monguno (retd), on Thursday said the President Muhammadu Buhari, would come up with solutions to the ongoing violence erupting in parts of the country ”in the next few hours”.

Babagana Monguno Says Buhari Is Coming Up With Solutions

According to Punch, May Babagana did not disclose the solutions, he said they would communicate to parties concerned.

Mongunu revealed this in an interview with State House correspondents at the end of a meeting of the National Security presided over the President.

The NSA also did not disclose whether the President will announce the solutions through a national broadcast.

He said,

“The President himself, I have just left his office, is also going to deal with these issues in a specific manner apart from what has just taken place in council.

I believe in the next couple of hours, Mr President will come up with certain solutions that will be agreeable to the entire federation.”

Continue Reading

News Feed

Another Warehouse Loaded With COVID-19 Palliative Allegedly Uncovered In Lagos

Published

on

Another Warehouse Loaded With COVID-19 Palliative Allegedly Uncovered In Lagos

Lagos State residents have again uncovered another warehouse where COVID-19 palliatives are been stored.

The palliatives discovered on Thursday (today), October 22, were meant for residents of Festac-Okota but were secretly stored in the warehouse.

According to reports, at least four people have died at the warehouse due to the hundreds of people that gathered to cart away the food items which include rice, beans, yams, and others.

However, the individual or group of persons who stored up the food items believed to have been provisioned by the government to share for the masses to cushion the effect of COVID-19 are yet to be known as at the time this report is given.

The angry youths and some old-aged citizens in the area gain entrance into the warehouse with force and do away with food items of their choices.

See video below;

Continue Reading

Trending