Connect with us

News Feed

Must Read: What To Do To Avoid Contracting Monkey Pox Virus

Published

on

Nigerians have been warned to avoid crowded places in order to stay away from the contagious monkey pox virus.
Prof. Isaac Adewole, the Minister of Health on Thursday, said that there was no known treatment and no preventive vaccines for now to contain the monkey pox virus which reportedly broke out in Bayelsa State.
He has advised the public to be at alert and avoid crowded places as much as possible to be on the safe side.
Speaking in his office, Prof. Adewole said that the health facilities in Bayelsa had been placed on alert, the patients suspected of having monkey pox were quarantined, while supportive treatments were being offered to the victims according to a statement signed by Boade Akinola, Director, Media and Public Relations.
The statement said:“The virus was mild and there was no known treatment and no preventive vaccines hence the public should be at alert and avoid crowded places as much as possible.”
He informed that monkey pox was a viral illness by a group of viruses that included chicken pox and small pox.
“Investigation is still on-going and our partners are working with us on this reported outbreak, while the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), team in Bayelsa state would give support” the Minister assured.
Prof. Adewole said although monkey pox could not be confirmed until laboratory investigations by the World Health Organisation (WHO) referral laboratory in Dakar, Senegal says so, he assured that, monkey pox was milder and had no record of mortality.
The symptoms include headache, fever, back pains and in advanced cases, rashes bigger than those caused by chicken pox.
Anyone with symptoms of monkey pox should immediately report to the nearest health facility, while health workers are advised to maintain a high index of suspicion and observe safety percussion.
He advised the public to avoid eating dead animals, bush meat and particularly bush monkeys.

Source: Tori

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

#EndSARS: ‘Forces beyond my control shot at protesters in Lekki’, says Sanwo-Olu

Published

on

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has ordered an immediate investigation into the shootings at Lekki, hours after he imposed a curfew in the state.

Men dressed in military gear opened fire on unarmed protesters at the Lekki toll gate around 7pm on Tuesday, October 20, leaving many dead, injured and hospitalised.

The lights and security cameras were turned off before the shootings began.

Members of the Nigerian army pulled up on us and they started firing. They were shooting, they were firing straight at us and a lot of people got hit. I just barely survived,” says Akinbosola Ogunsanya, who was at the scene of the incident.

The protesters have been calling for an end to police brutality since October 4; and had blocked the Lekki-Epe toll gate, Lekki-Ikoyi link bridge and other major roads in Lagos, while staging sit-in, candle-lit processions for victims of police brutality.

The protests had turned violent and fatal in Lagos and across the country, however, with hoodlums hijacking the marches and burning down police stations for effect.

Sanwo-Olu announced a 24-hour curfew at noon of October 20 in a bid to curtail the violence and halt the anarchy.

The governor initially announced that the curfew would commence at 4pm. This was later moved to 9pm.

The men in military gear opened fire on the unarmed protesters two hours before the curfew was billed to kick off.

Reports say at least 10 people died during the shooting.

Sanwo-Olu, who said he never gave the order, added that he’s visited the scene of the incident and hospitals.

This is the toughest night of our lives as forces beyond our direct control have moved to make dark notes in our history, but we will face it and come out stronger,” the governor said.

I’ve just concluded visits to hospitals with victims of this unfortunate shooting incident at Lekki.

“It has taken me this long to make a statement because I have to prioritize the welfare of the victims of this very sad incident.”

Sanwo-Olu also said he’s going to address residents of the state formally at dawn.

There are currently 10 patients at the General Hospital, 11 at Reddington and 4 at Vedic; with mild to moderate levels of injuries while 2 are receiving intensive medical care.

“3 patients have been discharged and we will continue to monitor and ensure all patients get the best care.

“As the governor of our state, I recognize the buck stops at my table and I will work with the federal government to get to the root of this unfortunate incident and stabilise all security operations to protect the lives of our residents.

“I will give a state broadcast in the morning,” he added.

Continue Reading

News Feed

Nigeria Police Shooting Live Rounds At Yaba, Lagos

Published

on

Nigeria Police Shooting Live Rounds At Yaba, Lagos (Video)

Popular Nigeria Instagram comedian, Mr Macaroni just tweeted an ongoing shooting at Adekunle, Yaba in Lagos.

In the tweet, the twitter said the Nigeria Police are the ones shooting.

Watch Video below;

Continue Reading

News Feed

Once you know who controls Toll Gate, who ordered the removal of CCTV, then you know who’s responsible for #LekkiMassacre – AY Comedian

Published

on

Comedian, movie producer, actor, writer and entrepreneur Ayo Richard Makun fondly called AY has asked intelligent questions with links to who is responsible for the unlawful Lekki killings last night.

Recall that last night, October 20, Nigerian security men shot and killed some #EndSARS protesters at Lekki Toll Gate.

Sequel to the above, Nigerians are now asking questions as to who masterminded the Lekki massacre?

Taking to Twitter, Comedian AY said once who controls toll gate, who ordered removal of CCTV from the toll gate is known, then the “who?” question becomes answered.

AY tweeted, “Who controls tollgate?
Who ordered for removal of light from the tollgate?
Who ordered the removal of cctv from the tollgate?
Once you know who has the authority over the above, you would know who was responsible for the shootings today. I am in my house come and kill me too”

Continue Reading

Trending