The Kaduna state chapter of the Nigeria Union of Teachers and the government are set for a showdown over the recruitment of 25,000 fresh primary school teachers in the state.
Although the union had initially kicked against the move, the government had gone ahead to announce a vacancy for 25,000 fresh teachers, claiming that those to be replaced had failed a competency test conducted previously.
But a statement issued by the Kaduna State Universal Basic Education Board and signed by its Executive Chairman, Nasiru Umar, said the recruitment was part of the state government’s effort to equip all schools with competent and qualified teachers in an effort to provide quality education and learning to pupils across the state.
The statement noted that the recruitment of new teachers became necessary as a result of the inability of about 22,000 teachers to score 75 per cent in the Primary four examination recently conducted by the state government.
Umar said, “We invited interested and qualified candidates to apply for teaching appointments into public primary schools across the state.”
The SUBEB specified the possession of the Nigeria Certificate in Education as the minimum qualification. But the agency encouraged graduates in Education disciplines to apply for the jobs.
According to the notice, applicants were expected to present a certificate from the Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria.
However, the state chairman of the NUT, Mr. Audu Amba, said the development would force teachers in primary and secondary schools in the state to down tools.
While addressing a press conference shortly after an emergency meeting of the state executive of the union in the state capital on Thursday, Amba warned that the NUT would embark on strike if the State government carried out its threat to sack “even a single teacher” over the competency test.
He described the test as unprofessional and also pointed out that the only competent body empowered by law to test teachers was the Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria.
The NUT boss noted that, judging by the latest development, the state government appeared to have resolved to sack teachers. “Government will be setting us back 20 years if 22,000 teachers are relieved of their jobs,” he said.
Arguing that the exercise did not conform with what was required of assessment tests for teachers, he said, “We have resolved that, by this examination that was given to our teachers, if any teacher is relieved of his appointment, the NUT may not guarantee further industrial harmony with the government of Kaduna State.
“It is with pain that we are taking this decision, while appreciating the concerns of the state government to uplift the status of teachers.
“We have discussed with the government to let it understand that teaching is not like other professions or industrial machines that you open and close at will.
“It will do us no good if 21, 780 teachers are relieved of their jobs. They were not tested based on professionalism or on what they studied. The proficiency test can only be recognised if it is conducted by TRCN. But the state insisted otherwise. What we are receiving today is not what we agreed with government.”
Source: ( Punch Newspaper )
#LekkiMassacre: CNN Dares Nigeria Government, Updates Second Report (Video)
The Cable News Network, CNN seems not done with the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government with the television channel releasing another report on the shooting at the Lekki toll gate during the End SARS protests.
Recall that the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, called out CNN over its report on the incident.
He added that CNN was biased in its report and needs to be sanctioned.
The Minister also addressed a letter to the management of CNN in Atlanta.
The network, however, on Tuesday released the second report with more damning footage showing soldiers shooting at unarmed protesters on October 20, 2020.
The second report also shows the Commander, 81 Division, Brig.Gen Ahmed Taiwo, admitting before the judicial panel in Lagos that military men had live ammunition in their weapons while at the tollgate.
CNN also noted that the statement of Brig.Gen Taiwo contradicts that of the Minister who had claimed last week that the army fired blank bullets.
It was also revealed in the new report, the moment when protesters were running as soldiers open fire at the tollgate.
Watch video below;
— Ayemojubar 👠 (@ayemojubar) November 23, 2020
Petrol Subsidy Not Completely Gone, Says Minister
Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva has stated that contrary to popular belief, the federal government has not completely removed petrol subsidy.
Speaking on Channels’ Politics Today, the minister said: “We are still trying to manage this bumpy start. We have not been able to get to that 100 percent removal of subsidy from the foreign exchange end.
“If we were to take it out completely and allow people to access foreign exchange from the parallel market and allow people to import the product, the price of the pump will even be more.
“The Federal Government, knowing the impact it will have on the people, decided that they are still going to manage this situation.”
Speaking on the importation of petrol from Niger, the Minister expressed that the importation of fuel from the Niger Republic is not something Nigerians should be embarrassed about.
He expressed that Nigerians should be proud that the Federal Government is set to resume the importation of petroleum products from its neighbour.
‘Your Report On Lekki Capable Of Setting Nigeria On Fire’ — Lai Writes CNN
JustLai MohammedMinister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has expressed that the CNN report on the Lekki Tollgate shooting of October 20 2020 is capable of setting the country on fire.
Recall that CNN had published an investigative report titled, ‘How a bloody night of bullets and brutality quashed a young protest movement in Nigeria,’ claiming soldiers fired live ammunition directly at protesters at the Lekki toll gate.
But Nigeria’s Minister for Information denied the report of the US-based cable television, calling for a sanction on CNN over the report, adding that the report on the Lekki tollgate incident was highly irresponsible.
Reacting in another story titled, ‘Nigeria threatens CNN with sanctions but provides no evidence Lekki toll gate investigation is inaccurate’, CNN maintained that it stood by its earlier report on the Lekki tollgate incident.
In a petition dated November 23 and addressed to Mr. Jonathan Hawkins VP, Communications, CNN Centre Atlanta, Georgia U.S, the federal government demanded “an immediate and exhaustive investigation into its report on the Lekki Toll Gate incident to determine its authenticity and conformity to basic standards of journalism.”
Lai Mohammed, who signed the petition, said if the US-based media organisation failed to carry out its demand, the Nigerian government will “take any action within its laws’’ to prevent CNN from aggravating the End SARS crisis.
- Entertainment22 hours ago
Davido Celebrates Late Mom On Her Posthumous Birthday
- Entertainment22 hours ago
“Your Obsession With 2Face Will Be Your Death” – 2Face’s Brother Slams Blackface
- Entertainment22 hours ago
Blackface Drags Wizkid, Burna Boy For Stealing His Song
- National News20 hours ago
2020 Finance Bill Exempts Minimum Wage Earners From Tax: Buhari
- Entertainment5 hours ago
‘You Are A Disgrace’ – Actress Adesua Etomi Knocks Lauretta Onochie Over Her Tweet
- National News21 hours ago
Court Remands Nigerian Senator, Ali Ndume, In Prison
- Entertainment24 hours ago
‘Nobody Is Fighting For Your Throne Because You’re The Queen’ – James brown Assures Bobrisky
- News Feed19 hours ago
“Marriage requirement is very high in Igboland” – Lady says her brother spent less than N50K on traditional marriage items to marry his wife from Benue