Connect with us

Entertainment

Controversy as Anthony Joshua beats Carlos Takam to retain Heavyweight titles

Published

on

Anthony Joshua retained his WBA and IBF world heavyweight titles on Saturday night, after he beat Carlos Takam in front of a world record indoor fight crowd of an estimated 76,000 under the roof at Cardiff’s Principality Stadium.

There’s controversy however after the referee, Phil Edwards, stopped the fight in the 10th round after Joshua caught Takam with a hook-uppercut combination and was moving in to land more blows.

The France-based Cameroonian, who was fighting at 12 days’ notice as an injury replacement for Kubrat Pulev, was left bitterly disappointed by the decision, which was loudly booed by the Welsh fans.

But in reality it was a fair stoppage, with Takam bloodied and sustaining heavy damage.

Many in the Principality Stadium felt referee Phil Edwards had acted prematurely in stopping obdurate opponent Carlos Takam in the tenth round. Scroll down to watch the video below.

Joshua had thrown everything at the super-sub with the tank-like physique and granite chin, but he was beginning to tire when Edwards stepped in to bring the fight to a close, much to Takam’s fury.

At the end of it all, Anthony Joshua, who is fast becoming a superstar, now has a record which reads: 20 fights, 20 stoppages.

Takam became Joshua’s 20th consecutive knockout victim in a fourth defence of his IBF belt and first of his WBA title, but the challenger stubbornly resisted the champion after being cut by the right eye in the fourth round.

“It was a good fight until the ref stopped it. I have the upmost respect for Takam,” said Joshua, who injured his nose from a headbutt in the second round.

For Takam, it was a fourth career defeat after a points loss to Parker last year and knockout loss to Russia’s Alexander Povetkin in 2014.

Takam complained his fight with Anthony Joshua was a premature stoppage, which was jeered by Joshua’s fans, and the challenger was given warm applause afterwards.

“I don’t think they should have stopped it,” said Takam.

“I want the rematch if Anthony gives me it.”

Ojuelegba by Wizkid was Anthony Joshua’s entrance theme song at the sold out #JoshuaTakam fight at the estimated 76,000 capacity Principality Stadium.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Noble Igwe, AY Makun Clash On Twitter Over Comedians Who Invite Politicians To Their Shows

Published

on

Noble Igwe, AY Makun Clash On Twitter Over Comedians Who Invite Politicians To Their Shows

AY Makun, Noble Igwe

Popular figures, Noble Igwe and AY Makun, have clashed on Twitter owing to the former’s tweet that comedians allow politicians to come to their shows and pay for expensive tables.

AY Makun, who is a stand-up comedian, then took it upon himself to defend himself and his colleagues. He replied Noble Igwe thus:

“A comedian was with d people at Lekki Tollgate while u were busy tweeting last night. Today is not d day to discuss a baseless tweet. I will still love you like a brother & educate you later on the principles of buying and selling. Gucci never asked hushpuppi his sources of income”

Read Also‘I Am Not Beefing BBNaija Housemates’ – AY Makun

Noble Igwe also replied. He wrote:

“You know what’s funny? Same way I twitted about bloggers, musicians and comedians, the same thing I said about all of us taking power into our hands but you decided to tweet these things and still say ‘I still love you’ Carry on!”

See their exchange below:

The duo’s exchange

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

‘Zero Accountability, Pure Wickedness’ – Banky W Lambasts Lagos Govt

Published

on

'Zero Accountability, Pure Wickedness' - Banky W Lambasts Lagos Govt
'Zero Accountability, Pure Wickedness' - Banky W Lambasts Lagos Govt

Banky W

Nigerian entertainer, Bankole Wellington, better known as Banky W, has accused the government of zero accountability and pure wickedness.

Saddened by the recent turn of events regarding the End SARS protests, the R&B singer cum actor took to his Twitter page to ask what the government is doing to fish out the perpetrators of the Lekki Massacre that took place at the Tollgate on Tuesday.

Read Also‘Our Hearts Are Broken But Our Spirits Will Never Die’ – Banky W Condemns Lekki Massacre

In his words:

“Who authorized soldiers to shoot at peaceful protesters? Why were the lights turned off shortly before they came? Why are so many warehouses being discovered filled with food meant for feeding our poor? Why were looters allowed to destroy our businesses? Zero accountability. Just wickedness.”

See his tweet below:

The singer’s tweet

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Actor Deyemi Okanlawon Reveals Next Strategy For #EndSARS Protests

Published

on

Actor Deyemi Okanlawon Reveals Next Strategy For #EndSARS Protests
Actor Deyemi Okanlawon Reveals Next Strategy For #EndSARS Protests

Deyemi Okanlawon

Nollywood actor, Deyemi Okanlawon, has shared the better strategy for the ongoing End SARS protests. The actor took to his Twitter page to advise that it is better to challenge the government of the day without endangering the lives of people.

Information Nigeria recalls key players at the beginning of the protests identified as Feminist Coalition recently released a statement in which they state that they are no longer receiving funds for the protest.

Read Also”Submission is not exclusive to one gender”- Actor Deyemi Okanlawon

The movie star now thinks it is necessary to avoid going out to the streets where there could be danger. In his words:

“What can online protesting achieve? The protests worked because we were able to hit the govt where it hurts – their pocket. What we shld be looking for are other ways to hit their pocket without exposing any more of us to the danger of an irresponsible, murderous govt #EndSARS”

See his tweet below:

The actor’s tweet

 

Continue Reading

Trending