The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission ( EFCC ) on Monday arraigned two businessmen alongside two companies before a Federal High Court in Lagos for allegedly obtaining over N7.7 billion from a bank under false pretense.
According to the anti-graft agency, Ogbor Eliot and Godwin Okoronkwo had approached the bank for N7,742,649,000 under the pretext that their companies, Danium Energy Services Limited and Petrosol Energy Limited had a contract in the stated sum to supply 55,000 metric tonnes of Automotive Gas Oil to Total Nigeria Plc.
The two men were accused of conspiring to present four letters dated between October 2016 and February this year purportedly from Total Plc for the supply of the petroleum products.
The letters indicated that the products were to be delivered by the companies in one consignment of 10,000 metric tonnes and three consignments of 15,000 metric tonnes each.
However, the defendants pleaded not guilty to the ten counts when the charge was read to their hearing.
The counsel to the EFCC, Rotimi Oyedepo, stated that in view of the plea by the accused persons, they had opened themselves up for trial and prayed the court to accelerate the trial.
In response, counsel to the first and third defendants, I.O Ayoade, explained that he had filed an application for bail on behalf of his client.
He prayed the court to remand them in EFCC custody pending the hearing and determination of the said bail application.
On his part, lawyer to the second and fourth defendants, Ilechukwu Emmanuel, who argued in a similar vein added that the court can grant leave for the bail application to be argued orally.
He also called the court’s attention to the fact the two men had been in the custody of the EFCC.
But Mr. Oyedepo opposed the request for oral application for bail and said he needed time to respond to the bail applications.
He also asked the court to remand the defendants in prison custody.
In her ruling, the presiding judge, Oluremi Oguntoyinbo, ordered that the two men be remanded in the custody of the EFCC until Wednesday when their bail application will be heard.
Source: ( Punch Newspaper )
#EndSARS: Enugu Govt Adjusts 24-Hour Curfew
Governor of Enugu State, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi has relaxed the 24-hour curfew imposed on the residents of the State.
Recall that the Governor had declared curfew in Enugu East, Enugu North, and Enugu South Local Government Areas of the state following an outbreak of violence in those areas.
However, following the return of relative calm and hardship being suffered by residents of the affected areas, the Governor adjusted the curfew.
This was announced in a statement issued by the State Commissioner for Information, Mr Chidi Aroh, on Saturday.
“In its place, a 13-hour curfew from 6 pm to 7 am daily, is imposed in Enugu East, Enugu North and Enugu South Local Government Areas, with effect from 6 pm on Sunday, 25th October 2020 until further notice.”
Fani-Kayode Condemns Video Asking Igbo Indigenes To Leave Yorubaland
Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode has condemned the threat of violence on Igbo indigenes in Yorubaland.
In a video circulating on social media, Grandson Adeyinka, a UK-based Nigerian, called on Igbo indigenes to leave south-west states.
In the video, Adeyinka issued a 48-hour ultimatum to the Igbo, warning that those who refuse to leave will be dealt with.
Reacting to the video, the former Minister distanced the Yoruba people from the statement, urging the Igbo people in Lagos to stand firm and stand their ground.
..The sons of Oduduwa will stand by you. The SW is safe for all non-indegenees. We are a peaceful, loving, liberal, kind & accommodating people. We are not animals & thugs. We do not give our compatriots ultimatums, throw them out of our territory or threaten them with violence.
— Femi Fani-Kayode (@realFFK) October 24, 2020
El-Rufai Imposes 24-hour Curfew On Seven Communities In Kaduna
Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai has declared a 24-hour curfew in some communities in Kaduna South and Chikun Local Government Areas (LGAs) of the state.
The Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan announced this is a statement on Saturday.
Although the reason for the restriction was not stated, it follows the looting of warehouses – where COVID-19 palliatives were reportedly stored by the government – by residents.
Residents were said to have trooped to Gwari Avenue where they discovered a warehouse and immediately forced it open and carted away food items.
Reacting to the development, the government directed security agencies involved to arrest and prosecute anyone found violating the curfew, and those responsible for the breakdown of law and order as well as looting and destroying properties.
The affected communities include Barnawa, Kakuri, and Television in Kaduna South LGA, and Maraban Rido, Sabon Tasha, Narayi, and Ungwan Romi of Chikun LGA.
- Entertainment21 hours ago
Singer D’Banj Shares Cryptic Post On Instagram
- Entertainment22 hours ago
‘May We Never Lose Hope For A Better Life’ – BBNaija’s Erica Prays
- News Feed20 hours ago
Lekki Massacre: Forensic Analysis Shows Videos Were Genuine
- Entertainment23 hours ago
Burna Boy Apologizes Over Insensitive Tweets
- Entertainment19 hours ago
#EndSARS: ‘Please Stop The Violence’, Dammy Krane Pleads
- Entertainment19 hours ago
Brymo Explains Why He Was Silent On #EndSARS
- Entertainment18 hours ago
‘End SARS Protest Is Beyond Police Brutality. It Is Battle Between The Rich And Poor’ – Filmmaker Chika Lann
- National News4 hours ago
Nobel Laureate, Soyinka Denies Video Claim On Igbo, Yoruba