Connect with us

National News

We will resume attacks on oil facilities in Niger Delta -Militants

Published

on

A group of Niger Delta Agitators has promised to  renew its attacks on oil installations in the Niger Delta region on September 10. It also stated that the notice to quit issued to Hausa and Yoruba in the Niger Delta had not been withdrawn.

“Our intelligence department has given us the list of the oil wells owned by the northerners. The northerners have over 90 per cent of the oil wells and the Yoruba have about seven per cent, while the Igbo have about two per cent and the Niger Delta people do not have up to one per cent of the oil wells.

The group spokesman said, “We are not talking only about the notice to quit; we are also talking about the Niger Delta Republic. We have seen that the Federal Government is not serious about the Niger Delta issue. Let me make a point here; the Academic Staff Union of Universities is on strike and the government has set up a committee to engage in a dialogue with ASUU.

“This has never happened in the case of the Niger Delta; the Federal Government has never inaugurated a committee to handle the Niger Delta issue. The only language the Federal Government seems to understand is violence. September 10 is the day we will resume attacks (on oil installations). By September 10, which is on Sunday, over 5,000 members of the Niger Delta Coalition of Agitators will shut down no less than over 20 platforms.”

Similarly, the coalition refuted the claim that it gave the Pan Niger Delta People’s Congress the mandate to withdraw the notice.

The CNDA had in August told northerners and Yoruba to leave before October 1 or be forced out of the region.

The leader of the Niger Delta agitators, John Duku, added, “We have not given anybody any mandate to withdraw the notice to quit we issued. On the group (PNDPC) talked about, we have said we are not working with this set of old people again. The composition of that group is not different from that of PANDEF.

“Already, we are talking with leaders of ethnic nationalities and if at the end, we reach a conclusion, we will make it public. Nobody will withdraw the notice on our behalf – we will do that. The fact is that those that announced the withdrawal of the notice are not the ones that issued it. We don’t know them.”

Source: ( Punch Newspaper )

National News

2020 Finance Bill Exempts Minimum Wage Earners From Tax: Buhari

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has revealed that the recently proposed 2020 Finance Bill will exempt workers earning the minimum wage from paying tax.

Buhari disclosed this on Monday in a speech delivered virtually by Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo at the opening session of the 26th Nigerian Economic Summit Group Conference themed: “Building Partnerships for Resilience.”

Also Read: Recession: Nigeria’s Economy On Way To Recovery, Says Osinbajo’s Aide

“We are proposing in the new Finance Act that those who earn minimum wage should be exempted from paying income tax,” he was quoted as saying in a statement issued by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Laolu Akande.

“These provisions which complement the tax breaks given to small businesses last year will not only further stimulate the economy but are also a fulfilment of promises made to take steps to help reduce the cost of transportation and the impact of inflation on ordinary Nigerians.”

 

Continue Reading

National News

Nigeria Will Exit Recession By First Quarter Of 2021 – Finance Minister

Published

on

Nigeria Will Exit Recession By First Quarter Of 2021 – Finance Minister

Zainab Ahmed

Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed has revealed that Nigeria would emerge from recession in the fourth quarter of this year or by the first quarter of 2021.

Recall that on Saturday, Nigeria officially went into recession for the second time under President Muhammadu Buhari‘s administration.

Speaking on Monday at the ongoing 26th Nigerian Economic Summit organized by the Nigerian Economic Summit Group and the Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget, and National Planning, Zainab said the current recession would be short-lived.

Also Read: Recession: Nigeria’s Economy On Way To Recovery, Says Osinbajo’s Aide

She blamed COVID-19 for the current recession, saying it followed the pattern across the world where many countries had entered an economic recession.

“Nigeria is not alone in this, but I will say that Nigeria has outperformed all of these economies in terms of the record of a negative growth,” Ahmed said.

 

Continue Reading

National News

Court Remands Nigerian Senator, Ali Ndume, In Prison

Published

on

Court Remands Nigerian Senator, Ali Ndume, In Prison

Ali Ndume

Senator Ali Ndume, the lawmaker representing Borno South Senatorial district has been ordered on Monday by a federal high court to be sent to prison.

The order follows his inability to produce Abdulrasheed Maina, the former Chairman of the defunct Pension Task Team, whom he stood as surety for in his corruption and money laundering trial.

The high court, sitting in Abuja was presided over by Justice Okon Abang and ordered Senator Ndume to be remanded in Kuje correctional centre.

Also Read: Alleged Money Laundering: Court Orders Arrest Of Abdulrasheed Maina

Justice Abang, however, gave three conditions upon which Ndume can regain his freedom namely payment of N500m bail bond into the Federation Account of the Federal Government and present evidence of such payment in court or the FG sells the property situated in Asokoro, Abuja which Ndume pledge as security for the bond and present evidence of sale and payment of the N500m realised into the Federation Account or he (Ndume) produces Maina, who is believed to have now jumped bail, in court.

Shortly after the pronouncement by the Judge, Senator Ndume was led away from the courtroom by security operatives.

 

Continue Reading

Trending