Connect with us

National News

NECO releases 2017 results

Published

on

The National Examinations Council has confirmed the  release of  the June/July 2017 Senior Secondary Schools Certificate Examination results.

Announcing the release o the Registrar/Chief Executive of NECO, Prof. Charles Uwakwe, said that out of the 1,051,472 candidates who sat for the examination, only 70.85 per cent of the candidates got five credits and above, including in English Language and Mathematics.

The analysis of the candidates’ performances by states showed that Ekiti State came first with 85 per cent while Zamfara State had the least with 48.45 per cent.

Edo and Bayelsa states came second and third with 84.61 per cent and 84.52 per cent respectively.

NECO disclosed that 276 schools were involved in examination malpractices  in 34 states, six schools had been derecognised for this act and 23 supervisors that aided malpractices had been blacklisted.

Kebbi topped the chart in examination malpractice cases with 8,124 candidates while Bauchi and Borno states followed with 5,458 and 3,980 respectively.

Uwakwe said 903,690 candidates got credit and above in English language;  849,335 in General Mathematics, 561,437 in Economics and 599,093 in Biology.

He added that the 2017 result showed 1.11 per cent improvement in candidates’ performance compared to 2016 results.

He added, “About 1,055,988 candidates registered for the examination in Nigeria and other countries but only 1,051,472 sat for it.

“However, 50,586 of the candidates were involved in examination malpractice and this represents 0.52 per cent increment compared with 2016 that had 43,905 cases which is about 4.29 per cent).”

He added that 947,850 (90.14 per cent) of the candidates had five credits and above irrespective of English Language and Mathematics representing  a 1.63 per cent improvement compared with 2016 result.

National News

Nigerian Youth Have Right To Protest, Says President Buhari

Published

on

Moment President Buhari laughed while Governor Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State presented the demands of #EndSARS protesters to him
Nigerian Youth Have Right To Protest, Says President Buhari

Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday stated that youths should be allowed to exercise their fundamental rights in the #EndSARS protest.

Nigerian youths have taken to the streets to call for an end to widespread police brutality.

Despite the protest, security agents have clamped down on protesters in Oyo, Abuja, Lagos and other parts of the country.

Also Read: #EndSARS: ‘You Deserve This Government If You Disturb Peaceful Protesters’ – Actress Uche Jumbo

Speaking to State House correspondents after a meeting with Buhari on Monday, the Minister of Youths and Sports Development, Mr. Sunday Dare quoted Buhari as saying that it was the right of the youths to protest and make certain demands from their leaders.

According to the minister, the president asked the protesters to give his administration time to address their demands as the team set up has already gone to work.

 

Continue Reading

National News

#EndSARS Protest: Edo Govt Sets-Up Judicial Panel

Published

on

#EndSARS Protest: Edo Govt Sets-Up Judicial Panel
#EndSARS Protest: Edo Govt Sets-Up Judicial Panel

Godwin Obaseki

In a bid to quell the ongoing #EndSARS protest, the Edo State Government has set up a Judicial Panel of Inquiry to investigate cases of police brutality in Edo State.

Secretary to the state government, Osarodion Ogie made this announcement in a statement on Monday

He said the panel is set up, “in response to the yearnings of Nigerian youths, as articulated in the demands of the #EndSars protesters.”

Read Also: BREAKING: Edo Government Declares 24-Hour Curfew

The members of the panel are to receive complaints and petitions from the general public, particularly victims or relatives of victims of police brutality and extra-judicial killings, and to recommend measures, including compensation and restitution, investigation, and prosecution, as the circumstances warrant.

This step is coming at a time when the State Government declared a 24-hours curfew on the state following a jailbreak by hoodlums on Monday.

 

Continue Reading

National News

Hoodlums attack Rapid Response Squad officers in Lagos (Video)

Published

on

Hoodlums attack Rapid Response Squad officers in Lagos

Thugs have forced men of the Rapid Response Squad, Lagos state police command to flee for their dear lives after attacking their van.

The incident happened along Herbert Macaulay way in Yaba on Monday morning October 19.

The thugs threw stones and other dangerous weapons at the officers who immediately jumped down from the van and started running for their lives.

The state police command is yet to react to the incident.

RRS officers run for their lives after thugs attacked their van in Lagos (videos)RRS officers run for their lives after thugs attacked their van in Lagos (videos)

See videos from the scene below:

Continue Reading

Trending