Connect with us

News Feed

Google Buys HTC Assets In $1.1bn Deal

Published

on

google in nigeria
Google has moved to fulfil its ambitions of Smartphone production after it struck a multi-million naira deal with HTC.
google in nigeria
Google has bought part of HTC’s mobile phone division for $1.1bn (£820m), a return to hardware ownership for the company.
The deal will see 2,000 HTC staff join the US internet giant and underlines Google’s broadening ambitions in smartphone production.
Google develops the Android operating system used in more than 80pc of the world’s smartphones but largely relies on manufacturers like Samsung, Huawei and HTC itself to make and sell its phones, unlike Apple, which controls the design and development of both software and hardware.
Last year it released the first Google-branded phone, the Pixel, which is manufactured by HTC, and is gearing up to release a new model next month, but having thousands of staff join the company will expand the venture. The Pixel has been well received but only produced in small quantities.
Of the 2,000 staff moving from HTC, roughly about a fifth of its workforce, many are already working on the Pixel. Google is also acquiring a licence for HTC intellectual property.
The Taiwanese group said it would continue to produce its own phones, including a new flagship device, as well as continuing its Vive virtual reality headset and investing in other technologies.
Hanging over the deal will be the ghost of Motorola Mobility, the phone maker Google paid $12.5bn for in 2011. Motorola struggled under its ownership and it was sold to Lenovo for $2.9bn in 2014, retaining certain patents. Two other hardware companies, Nest and Dropcam, have also been seen as disappointments under Google ownership.
“HTC has been a longtime partner and has created some of the most beautiful, high-end devices on the market,”Rick Osterloh, the head of Google’s hardware department, said.
The Taiwanese company, whose shares had been suspended pending the announcement, was responsible for some of the first Android handsets capable of competing with the iPhone. But it failed to capitalise and as Samsung moved into the high-end of the market, HTC’s market share collapsed. Shares have fallen 95pc since 2011.
The company’s chief executive Cher Wang said it still had a bright future. “We believe HTC is well positioned to maintain our rich legacy of innovation and realise the potential of a new generation of connected products and services,” she said.

Source: Tori

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

Governor Seyi Makinde walks around the streets of Ibadan to pacify residents

Published

on

Governor Seyi Makinde walks around the streets of Ibadan to pacify residents

Nigerian Businessman, Politician and Philanthropist Seyi Makinde who is the governor of Oyo State is currently the talk of social media

Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State was seen walking around the streets of Ibadan on Wednesday October 21, trying to reassure and pacify citizens due to the nationwide chaos prompted by the endsars protest.

In the footage recorded by an onlooker, Makinde could be seen surrounded by his security entourage as he walked up to the protesters who cheered as he waved at them.

Watch the video below;

Continue Reading

News Feed

I Submitted My Resignation To Delta State SSG And Refunded N100K Paid Allowance -Harrison Gwamnishu

Published

on

Nigerian social justice advocate, Harrison Gwamnishu said he just submitted his resignation letter to the Delta State Government.

The advocate a.ka as The Director-General Behind Bars who was appointed to be part of the panel of the Judicial Panel of Inquiry on Police Brutality.

He tendered his resignation following the massacre of the lives of innocent protest at Lekki-Toll Gate area in Lagos.

Also, he refunded the allowance paid to him by the government.

Read his tweet below;

Continue Reading

News Feed

Part of Oriental hotel destroyed by mob (video)

Published

on

A section of Oriental hotel in Lekki, Lagos state has been destroyed by a mob, in the aftermath of the Lekki massacre.

There have been ongoing protests in Nigeria over two weeks with citizens agitating for the scrapping of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, over flagrant disregard of their human right.

However, that took a grief-stricken turn in Lekki, Lagos state on Tuesday night as defenseless protesters were gunned down by soldiers, following an alleged order by the Lagos state government to security forces to crackdown on defaulters of a hastily imposed restriction.

The shooting led to the death of several people as many were also injured.

Security operatives had stormed the scene of the protest after the Lagos Government announced a 24-hour curfew and opened fire, with the intent to kill many people.

As many turned up to social media to share the Live video clips of the tragic incident, many people could be seen with various degrees of injuries. The scale of the damage could not be ascertained.

In the aftermath, more violent protests emerged across the country, leading to mass destructions of properties.

 

Continue Reading

Trending