Connect with us

General News

Declaring IPOB a terrorist organisation is unconstitutional – Saraki

Published

on

enate President, Bukola Saraki, has said the declaration by the Nigerian military that the Indigenous People of Biafra is a terrorist organisation is unconstitutional.

He also said the ban placed on the group’s activities by the South-East Governors did not follow due process.

In a statement on Monday, Saraki said the National Assembly will investigate the crisis in the South-East.

However, Saraki, was quick to commend the military for maintaining the peace in the South-East but added that their declaration of the group as a terrorist organisation was unconstitutional.

He said,

“I also wish to state that the announcement of the proscription of the group known as Indigenous People of Biafra by Governors of the South-East states and the categorization of the group as a ‘terrorist organisation’ by the Nigerian military are unconstitutional and do not follow due process.

“Our laws make clear provisions for taking such actions and without the due process being followed, such declaration cannot have effect. I am sure the President will do the needful by initiating the right process.

“This will go a long way in demonstrating to the world at large that we are a country that operate by laid down process under every circumstance. So, those who have been hammering on this point should maintain their cool.

“Following the clash between the military and members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), I hereby call for calm and restraint by all Nigerians so that we would all jointly find the right solution to the current problem rather than worsening the crisis.

“Our brothers and sisters in the South-East, in particular, should continue to maintain peace and tranquillity and go about their lawful businesses. This crisis will not benefit anybody but would only expose innocent people to unwarranted danger.”

The senate president commended all outside the South-East who had worked to ensure that the crisis did not spread to other parts of the country.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

Ondo To Reopen Schools November 2nd

Published

on

Ondo To Reopen Schools November 2nd

Rotimi Akeredolu

Governor of Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu has approved the reopening of schools for all classes in public and private schools across the state beginning from Monday, November 2.

This was disclosed on Thursday by the state Commissioner for Education, Science, and Technology, Pastor. Femi Agagu.

He expressed that the state has become peaceful following the unrest that trailed the #EndSARS protest.

Also Read: BREAKING: Public, Private Schools Can Reopen Monday – Lagos Govt

Recall that the state government had earlier directed schools to reopen on October 19 after seven months of closure due to COVID- 19 outbreak.

But the schools were shut days after when the #EndSARS protest broke out.

Continue Reading

Education

BREAKING: Public, Private Schools Can Reopen Monday – Lagos Govt

Published

on

Lagos Govt Relaxes Curfew From 10pm To 6am
BREAKING: Public, Private Schools Can Reopen Monday - Lagos Govt

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

The Lagos State Government on Thursday directed all public and private schools in the state to reopen all classes for academic activities.

Recall that schools were closed following the outbreak of violence that trailed the #EndSARS protests in the State.

The government directed students and pupils in boarding houses to report to school on Sunday, 1st of November in preparation for the general resumption by Monday, 2nd November, 2020.

Also Read: BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu Approves Full Reopening Of Lagos Markets

The directive was contained in a statement by the Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Folasade Adefisayo which was signed by Kayode Abayomi, Head, Public Affairs, Ministry of Education.

The Commissioner advised pupils/students to take their studies more seriously in a bid to recover the lost period and thereby excel.

Continue Reading

Education

FG, ASUU Disagree On Payment Platform

Published

on

Again, FG, ASUU Unable To Agree On Payment Platform
Again, FG, ASUU Unable To Agree On Payment Platform

ASUU

The meeting between the Federal Government and the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) ended in a deadlock on Wednesday.

The union and Minister of Labour, Chris Ngige led delegation failed to agree on the payment platform to be used in disbursing the salary arrears and the N30bn Earned Allowance of the university lecturers.

According to reports, the Federal Government offered to pay the salary arrears and the N30bn Earned Allowances of the university lecturers through the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS) platform pending the roll-out of ASUU’s preferred platform, the University Transparency and Accountability Solution (UTAS).

Also Read: Why We Haven’t Called Off Strike –ASUU

However, the ASUU delegation led by National President, Prof Biodun Ogunyemi, insisted that the payment by the Federal Government should be made through the UTAS.

Following the failure to reach a consensus, the parties agreed to consult their respective principals and stakeholders.

They are to reconvene next week Wednesday.

Continue Reading

Trending