Connect with us

National News

Manchester City begins Champions league campaign on a winning note

Published

on

Manchester City got their Champions League campaign on a winning note as the citizens got a convincing victory over Dutch side Feyenoord in Rotterdam.

John Stones opener was City’s fastest ever goal in the competition with a header after two minutes as Pep Guardiola’s men made a perfect start.

Sergio Aguero doubled the lead after 10 minutes, latching on to Kyle Walker’s cross and volleying into the roof of the net to claim his 23rd goal in 41 Champions League games for the club.

Gabriel Jesus netted on his Champions League debut as City went 3-0 up after 25 minutes, the Brazilian calmly slotting into an empty net after Benjamin Mendy’s shot had been palmed out by Brad Jones.

Feyenoord improved after the break but City still had too much for them, Stones adding his second with another header from a corner to wrap up a one-sided win for the Premier League side.

In the other game in Group F, Shakhtar Donetsk beat Napoli 2-1 in Ukraine.

Before the game, Guardiola said City had “to win respect in Europe” after making it past the last 16 just once in seven Champions League campaigns, and failing to win any of their last six away games in the competition while conceding 14 goals.

City will not earn that respect on nights such as this, easing to big wins against limited opposition, but they did what they had to do with efficiency and style.

They were also aided by poor defending by Feyenoord, back in the Champions League for the first since the 2002-03 season, with Stone’s opener trickling in after defender Tonny Vilhena made a comically inept attempt to clear off the line.

Aguero’s fine finish was much more about City’s crisp and clean passing play, but Feyenoord’s defensive shortcomings where there for all to see for Jesus’ strike – the home players stood still as the Brazilian fired home, mistakenly believing he was offside – and Stones’ second.

Source: ( PM News )

National News

Social Media Will Destroy Us If We Don’t Regulate It: Lai Mohammed

Published

on

Social Media Will Destroy Us If We Don’t Regulate It: Lai Mohammed
Social Media Will Destroy Us If We Don’t Regulate It: Lai Mohammed

Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed

Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has expressed that there is a need to regulate social media usage in the country to avoid being led to destruction.

He made this known when he appeared before the House Committee on information, national orientation, ethics, and values to defend the 2021 budget proposed by his ministry, on Tuesday.

The Minister pointed out that it is highly important to regulate social media.

The minister said although the government is not seeking to shut down social media “because the social media has come to stay,” there is a need to check its excesses due to the rise in fake news and misinformation.

“The biggest challenge facing Nigeria today is fake news and misinformation,” he said.

Also Read: Fayemi Presents Over N109 billion As Budget Estimate For 2021

“Based on that, we dedicated an entire national council on information’s meeting to that issue, after which we launched a national campaign against fake news in July 2018.

“We said, then, that the next war will be fought without a shot being fired, but with the use of fake news.

“We didn’t stop there. We went on a tour of all media houses to solicit their support in the fight against fake news. We launched the campaign to regulate social media, which was bitterly contested by the stakeholders. We kept saying that if we don’t regulate social media, it will destroy us. Social media and fake news will not destroy Nigeria.

“The recent #EndSARS war was fought on social media. They mobilised using the social media. The war today revolves around two things; smartphone and data. And these young men don’t even watch television or listen to radio or read newspapers.

“You will be shocked that when you start arguing with your children, they will be quoting social media. So, we need a social media policy in Nigeria and we need to empower the various agencies and we need technology to be able to regulate social media.”

Continue Reading

National News

2023: Buhari Reappoints Mahmood Yakubu As INEC Chairman

Published

on

Buhari Reappoints INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu For Another Term

Mahmood Yakubu

President Muhammadu Buhari has reappointed Professor Mahmood Yakubu as the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

President Buhari confirmed the renomination of Prof. Yakubu for a second and final term in a letter to Senate President, Senator Ahmed Lawan on Tuesday.

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, confirmed this in a statement on Tuesday.

Also Read: Criminal minds threatening Army with travel ban: Buratai

Professor Yakubu’s reappointment is, however, subject to approval by the Nigerian Senate.

“I am pleased to present for confirmation by the Senate, the nomination of Professor Mahmood Yakubu for appointment as Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for a second and final term,” President Buhari was quoted as saying in the letter.

 

Continue Reading

National News

#EndSARS: Lagos Govt Invited Us To Restore Order – Army

Published

on

Nigerian Army says Operation Crocodile Smile is not against #EndSARS protesters
#EndSARS: Lagos Govt Invited Us To The Streets – Army

Nigerian army, protesters

The 81 Division of the Nigerian Army has debunked the multiple reports of soldiers shooting at #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday, 20th of October, 2020.

The Acting Director Army Public Relations of the 81 Division, Major Osoba Olaniyi,  made this known in a statement on Tuesday night.

Also Read: Lekki Shooting: Nigerian Lawyer drags Buhari, Buratai to court

He, however, confirmed the involvement of soldiers in restoring order in Lagos following the declaration of curfew by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, revealing that the army was invited to enforce the curfew by the state government.

He insisted that they acted within the confines of the Rules of Engagement for Internal Security operations.

He also maintained that soldiers did not shoot at the #EndSARS protesters in Lagos.

 

Continue Reading

Trending