Connect with us

National News

10 Nigerian writers depart for Lebanon

Published

on

The Study Abroad In Lebanon (SAIL) project has sponsored 10 Nigeria writers to Lebanon for an exchange programme.the SAIL project is a programme of the Cedars Institute of Lebanon in collaboration with the Wole Soyinka Foundation in Nigeria.

The programme, the second edition in the series will see 10 Nigerian writers depart for Lebanon for an intensive 10-day course with over eight hours of daily contact and interaction with various faculties, guest lecturers and officially certified tourist guides at the Cedars Institute in Lebanon. The programme holds between 14 and 24 September, 2017.

The first edition of the SAIL project was held in August 2016 when five Nigerian students travelled to Lebanon for the exchange programme to broaden their knowledge.

At a news conference on Monday at the Freedom Park, Lagos Island, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria to officially announce the departure of the 10 writers, Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka said the second edition of the project had an increase in the number of participants, with the hope that a larger number of participants would be expected next year.

He said the number of participants depended on the sponsorship arrangement, while calling on individuals, corporate bodies and governments to key into the project by sponsoring people vetted by the foundation for the exchange programme, as the participants would acquire useful knowledge during the programme.

Facilitator of the SAIL Project, Dr. Habib Jafaar disclosed that 10 Nigerian writers would take part in this year’s programme and would be travelling to Lebanon on Tuesday to engage in a 10-day intensive course programme to be co-taught by three to six faculties with different specialization.

The faculties are Philosophy, Theology, World and Ottoman History and Art and Architectural History.

“The distinguishing feature of this course is that it combines and fuses rigorous academic knowledge with first-hand experience of historical sites of global and regional significance. It will focus on the historical foundation of Lebanon as a geopolitical strategic region that sets the stage for the rise of Phoenician civilization and will examine its emergence as a hub of international trade of global significance, among others,” Jafaar said.

According to him, the course would enable students assess and evaluate historical and philosophical concepts both methodologically and critically, as well as enabled students reflect, think and write critically about their own experiences confronting new cultural context, and several others.

He added that the course would introduced students to new concepts and would challenge their conceptions of the region while it would allow students understand some of the major themes of World History from the unique vantage point of Lebanon.

“It will complement lectures with first-hand experiences of UNESCO world heritage sites and other historically significant areas. It will expose students to the culture of dialogue and its implementation within Lebanon society. It will make possible for Nigerian students to interact with Lebanese students and society in various contexts,” Jafaar explained.

Programme Director, Wole Soyinka Foundation, Folake Soyinka said last year, those who went on the exchange programme were students and that this year’s participants would be writers, adding that those who embarked on the programme last year bore testimonies of the usefulness of the programme in broadening their psyche.

The 10 participants for this year’s exchange programme are: Adenle Oloruntoba, Rev. Sister Mary Aboekwe, Oladele Faji, Khalid Imam, Ms Salamatu Sule, Mrs Kassima Okani, Wole Adedoyi, Ms Blessing Christopher, Temi Soyinka and Christian Nayamali.

Source:( Punch Newspaper)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

WTO: Launch Diplomatic Offensive Against Trump, Obiano Tells Buhari

Published

on

Governor Willie Obiano
WTO: Launch Diplomatic Offensive Against Trump, Obiano Tells Buhari

Governor Willie Obiano

Governor of Anambra State, Willie Obiano has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to deploy all diplomatic moves to ensure Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala emerge as the next Director-General of the World Trade Organisation.

Obiano urged President Buhari not to allow US President Donald Trump to frustrate Okonjo-Iweala’s emergence.

Obiano said this in a statement titled, ‘WTO DG: A Call on President Buhari and African leaders to step up diplomatic offensive’, signed by the state Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, C-Don Adinuba, in Awka, on Thursday.

Also Read: WTO: Gov Ikpeazu Drums Support For Okonjo-Iweala’s Appointment

He asked Buhari to mobilise African and European Union leaders to back Okonjo-Iweala.

“All that is needed is a great diplomatic offensive before the formal announcement of the winner on November 9,” he said.

“The people and government of Anambra State, therefore, call upon President Muhammadu Buhari and other African leaders to immediately set in motion the machinery to get the United States to do the right thing by supporting the most qualified and the most popular candidate,” p[art of the statement read.

Continue Reading

National News

BREAKING: Lagos Panel Of Enquiry Visits Lekki Toll Gate

Published

on

CCTV At Lekki Toll Gate Was Not Removed -Lekki Concession Company Says
BREAKING: Lagos Panel Of Enquiry Visits Lekki Toll Gate

Lekki Toll Gate

As the hearing of cases of police brutality in the State continues, the Lagos State judicial panel of inquiry is currently at the Lekki Tollgate.

The panel’s visit is believed to be aimed at understanding the Lekki Toll Gate shooting that left some protesters dead and injured on Tuesday, October 20, 2020.

The panel is reportedly led by the Chairman, Retired Justice Doris Okuwobi.

Also Read: Fani-Kayode Slams Fashola Over Discovery Of Hidden Camera At Lekki Toll Gate

According to reports, the panel is interrogating Lekki Tollgate officials about the condition of their cameras and other equipment.

The Managing Director of Lekki Concession Company, Mr. Yomi Omomuwansa reportedly took the panel round the facilities.

Mr. Omomuuwansa stated that most of their equipment were damaged as they were set ablaze by hoodlums following the shooting of EndSARS protesters at the toll gate.

Also with the panel during the inspection of Lekki Tollgate is Rinu Odulala and Temitope Majekodunmi, the youth representatives on the judicial panel.

 

Continue Reading

National News

BREAKING: IGP Replies Amnesty, Says Policemen Didn’t Shoot #EndSARS Protesters

Published

on

Why Nigerians Protest Creation Of SWAT Police
BREAKING: IGP Replies Amnesty, Says Policemen Didn’t Shoot #EndSARS Protesters

IGP Adamu

The Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Mohammed Adamu has denied reports by global rights organisation, Amnesty International, that police officer shot at #EndSARS protesters.

The Police chief expressed that Amnesty’s report of October 21, 2020, that police personnel shot at peaceful protesters as “untrue, misleading and contrary to all available empirical evidence.”

This was contained in a statement on Friday titled, ‘EndSARS Protests: Police Personnel Were Professional And Exercised Maximum Restraints – IGP Tells Amnesty Int’l’.

Also Read: Buhari Phones Oba Of Lagos On His Birthday

Adamu explained that contrary to reports, police officers “acted professionally, exercised commendable restraints and some paid the supreme price for peace during the recent protests and ensuing violence in some parts of the country.”

He revealed that 22 police officers died during the protests, while 205 police stations and formations were damaged by a section of the protesters.

Continue Reading

Trending